Advice please...

Hi folks,

Im very close to accepting an offer of employment in Manila.  Ive spent limited time in Manila before so have some (little) exposure to the place but not anything substantial.

Im hoping for some general guidance and feedback on all elements of Manila please?

1 - What is a reasonable amount of money to live off?
2 - Where is a good place to live? (Office is in Makati)
3 - Does it make sense to get a driver/maid?  If it does, where is the best place to find someone reliable/trustworthy?
4 - General do's/dont's and advice

Thanks in advance!

Living in Makati is expensive, probably the most expensive in Manila. There are some good condos for rent that are reasonably priced in Muntinlupa, maybe other places. I live in Presidio lakefront. It's affordable and easy to get to Makati,, I f you want to rent it for a while to try it out I can arrange it, I don't use it until January 14th. there are long term rentals there as well if you like it. I have owned there for 5 years and been quite happy. It has a grocery store 100 yards from the front of the building and the security is excellent and helpful. Getting a maid is easy if you need one, I can refer someone. The condo has a maid's room, and 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. There are a few people in the building that offer transportation service, and you can easily get a grab taxi if you need one. I can rent to you for 40k pesos a month plus electric and water, cable and wifi is free. You can chat me on fb at Philip Chenevert or if in the states, call me a ****. Leave a message, as everyone knows you get a lot of unwanted calls so I don't answer if I don't recognize the number.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you

You can live comfortably on $2000 US a month, but I would recommend 3-5000, it depends on your life style. Be very careful of fast talking salesmen who promise the world and don't deliver. Be careful not to dress flashy or wear jewelry, as any show of wealth makes you a bigger target. The guards and the unit owners at my complex are very good about advising you where is safe and where isn't.

You can also contact me at ***, I hope I have been some help.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
drvolvo wrote:

You can live comfortably on $2000 US a month, but I would recommend 3-5000

That sounds like a lot of money. If you can afford to spend $2000+ a month, why would you even need to get a job in the Philippines?
You could live normally with $1000 if you're careful.

drvolvo wrote:

You can live comfortably on $2000 US a month, but I would recommend 3-5000, it depends on your life style.

It you do a search for "for rent Makati"  you will pull up quite a few pages advertising real estate in and around Makati for rent at very reasonable prices. 

My wife and I live near Tagaytay and with eating out on occasion, movies, etc. We do quite well on average for between $800 to $1000 per month.   We own our home (my wife does) and our own transportation.

It doesn't cost much to visit a mall, walk in the park, go to a club and listen to some music. If your tastes are a bit extravagant, obviously it will cost much more. 

PS. We just bought two weeks worth of groceries at Robinsons for $82 US.  The only thing we will need again next week will be a loaf of bread, some fruit and veggies.  Our average trip to the wet market, costs us about $6 to $8 US for a large shopping bag of fruit and some vegetables.

Makati is a dump ,the cops are corrupt ,the traffic is horrendous
You dont need a maid and you dont need a driver just rent a condo near your office and walk .

Hey,
Thanks for the tips - much appreciated!

Things look to be progressing well and I should be out there by thia time next month.

I'm out for a week the week after next to get a feel for the place and look at some condos - Ive had conflicting advice on locations...some saying stay in Rockwell or McKinley and be close to work, other suggest places like Eastwood...too much choice!

I've been toying with the idea of a driver and car - any idea on prices for something like that?

Hey Teejay...what do you consider reasonable rent for a 2 bed condo in Makati?

bigbillj wrote:

Hey Teejay...what do you consider reasonable rent for a 2 bed condo in Makati?

I have no firsthand experience with the cost of a condo in Makati.  Only what I see advertised on numerous websites.

Wish I could be of more help.

Regards

Go to the pizzeria mozza and mercado at century mall ask for Edi the owner. there is nothing he doesnt know about living in Makati.  Also one of the best restaraunts in Makati

True... I was stopped last week for driving in the wrong lane... they said that they were going to take my license, then after some "negotiations"(they brought it up... I would NEVER)  they gave it back for 500p.  And I was on my way again... it is the norm from what I have heard...

Report them on the Duterte hotline hope you clocked there names and number

Cops are totally bent in Makati and surrounding area I got stopped coming out of 7/11 carrying beer opposite our apartment it's illegal to drink here on the street I'm not drinking .1000 php will make the problem go away I said arrest me my wifes father is a cop and he out ranks you by miles I'll be out in an hour
They let me go dropped me off at a mcdo then had the cheek to ask me to buy them a mcdo jog on

No... first time being stopped like that... and also was shocked to hear a police officer mention money like that... lol... now I know... I am buying a vehicle video cam, which is probably a good idea to use anyways with the crazy drivers...

Did you buy the McD's for them??  Lol ...

Wellsfry wrote:

True... I was stopped last week for driving in the wrong lane... they said that they were going to take my license, then after some "negotiations"(they brought it up... I would NEVER)  they gave it back for 500p.  And I was on my way again... it is the norm from what I have heard...

Part of life in RP!