Considering moving to Mexico - job options?

Hello all,

Thinking about moving to mexico for several months with my dogs and boyfriend who is a Mexican citizen. I am employed remotely in the US and am going to be using a VPN to keep my machine placed in the US why i physically move to Mexico without notifying my company my physical location has changed.

There is a chance they will fire me if at any point they figure out I've left the country which is fine. I work as a trilingual interpreter, and I have 7 years of english teaching experience. Would I have a problem finding students I could tutor in English or Mandarin if I'm in a major city? I'm currently researching which cities are best, and my boyfriend is going home to  do some scouting as well, but I want to make sure I've got a backup in case I get fired.

I can always teach english online to Chinese students, but I'd like to have other options. I don't care if the work is under the table or not as long as I get paid well. My expenses are only gonna be around 700-800$  month so  I don't even have to make that much to be okay. Any expats living/working in Mexico that can give me some feedback as to the work scene in cities with less foreigners, like say Guadalajara for example?

Definitely in your best interest to keep US dollars coming in as income.

If you're a native English speaker, you won't have trouble finding work in most places, especially a city as large as Guadalajara.  You'll have the possibility to work in a language school, classes in companies, a colegio, or even private classes.  There will be options.

Online teaching with Chinese companies like VIP Kid has also become a go-to option for a lot of people.  You'll just have to contend with the early morning hours.  Also, I believe that company has hired so many people to teacher that they might not have the hours that they advertise, so beware.

Best thing you can do for yourself is have a bit of a financial cushion in case you lose your US job and go a bit of time before you land something locally.

Get certified to teach ESL online. Pays about $20 an hour. Then you can teach anywhere in the world.

I  currently  work for  a French based online company which is how I earn my living.  Sometimes  I teach English to local natives between pay days. Depending  where in Mexico you are located,  some communities cannot afford to pay a lot  of money for lessons.  I live in a rural location where  the most  anyone can afford is 25 pesos per hour. It is not much for an expat, but it does buy a lot of  jamon, pan and cerveza. So budget  your monthly online salary and  seek  natives wanting to learn English. Keep an open mind to  the fact that charging US language rates is not  an option.  Live cheaply, avoid paying high rents to expats and rent from local natives direct.  I have  been  in Mexico almost 2 years paying $300.00  per month versus  $1500.00 in  the US.   Rent from locals, shop locals,  live cheaply and enjoy life!  Buena suerte y hasta luego.