Cost of living manila guide for family

Hi Friends,

I m Ayaz (Indian) currently working in Bangkok and my company offers me to move to makati so i need to take decision whether to move or not and i hope this community will guide me the best since i will be moving with my wife and 4 years old son.

Request to guide best area to stay near makati preferably near Indian community and  indian grossery store / restaurant.

Also i wound like to know the international school cost (around 5000$ annual fees is ok ) and good international schools for kindergarten level not so expensive since bangkok IB schools are way to expensive.

How much 1/2 bed condo cost and maid charges for a month ?

Looking forward for positive response.

Thank you !!!

I'm not in Manila so can't recommend the area, but in Cebu a condo in nice area will be 30-45k  ($600-900/mo) and a true international school is $3-6000/yr. There are private schools for less. Overall Manila will be 20-25% higher cost than Cebu I believe.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I m actually looking for manila expenses so that i can finalise things before moving.

Have a goo day !

pnwcyclist wrote:

I'm not in Manila so can't recommend the area, but in Cebu a condo in nice area will be 30-45k  ($600-900/mo) and a true international school is $3-6000/yr. There are private schools for less. Overall Manila will be 20-25% higher cost than Cebu I believe.

Just wondering which international schools are $3 - $6k PA?  Do they offer IB?   

Can you please list a couple of them? 

The one's I have seen before are more around $30k to $50k PA

Thanks in advance.

Hi PEJ, not sure what IB is, I can only think of International Business..? University level? Anyway, regarding the schools I was referencing for the OP question:

Cebu International School in Talamban is between 250-300K/yr, accoording to friends of ours who have their son there.

Sage Academy in Lahug, not far from me is 100-120K/yr. I'm quite certain they follow the international program as we checked into it before for my GF's son.

Cheers,
John

When you say it follows the international program, it means what exactly ? US program ? UK ? Australia ? Germany ? Canada ?

Update: Sage Academy is not an International School, which is a matter of accreditation, GeoleFrench. My mistake. But the Singapore School in Cebu is.  We have another friend who sends their son there. So one in each. I have my GF's kids in private schools but not at that level.

PEJ, CIS and SSC are both apparently IB schools. 

Cebu International School (CIS):
In the 2007/8 School Year, CIS attained full international accreditation status through the Council of International Schools (CIS),[1] the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC);[2] as well as being authorized and recognized by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) and the Department of Education (DepEd) within the Philippines. CIS is also a full member of the East Asia Regional Council of Overseas Schools (EARCOS).

Cebu International School is an authorized IB World School, offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) from 1999, and the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) from January 2014.  As the only internationally accredited and IB-authorized school in the Philippines South of Manila, CIS provides a valuable educational opportunity for local and expatriate families in the Visayas and Mindanao regions of the Philippines, who desire a world-class education, to prepare their children for acceptances into universities around the world.

Singapore School Cebu (SSC):
Singapore School Cebu (SSC) is an international school that adapts the Singapore curriculum for PreSchool, Primary and Lower Secondary levels. Known for its strengths in Maths and Science, the Singapore curriculum is revered worldwide for being one of the best.

A private, non-sectarian school, SSC also offers the Cambridge International General Certificate of Secondary Education for Upper Secondary and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme for Pre-University.

At present, SSC is the only school in Cebu, Philippines that is both an IB World School and a Cambridge International School, offering the world's most recognised university qualifications with the Cambridge IGCSE and the IB Diploma Programme.

Established in 2010, SSC was born out of Parents' wishes for a top quality learning institution in Cebu that is most current and effective in its teaching pedagogies, to best prepare children for the future. We are an affiliate and sister school of Singapore School Manila.

Thanks . So I suppose that these schools do not teach tagalog/cebuano at a high level ? I am asking that because I wanted to enroll my children in the French School in Paranaque but I discovered that the Filipino children there were very weak in tagalog ... they were speaking French and English at school and at home. So in fact they were isolated from their  Filipino cousins, neighbors etc. So these schools are very good for expats who will stay few years in the PH but not for long term expat...

Hello Friends,

Looks like there are many different options but i would like to know if anyone can help for school near makati popular amongst expats living there and not too expensive as well.

It will be great help if anyone can provide info about makati/manila schools...

Thank you !

Ayaz 989 wrote:

Hello Friends,

Looks like there are many different options but i would like to know if anyone can help for school near makati popular amongst expats living there and not too expensive as well.

It will be great help if anyone can provide info about makati/manila schools...

Thank you !

Hi Ayaz, welcome to the forum and I hope you settle in well in Makati.
Just an observation but if I want to know something I always go to my best friend "google"
A quick search revealed 3 international schools and their location in Makati and they all have their own websites.
Same with Indian grocery stores, locations and contact numbers.

Sometimes it's better to get info straight from the horses mouth, good luck with your move.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi,

Thank you for your advice.

I am doing same but at the same time was looking for someone's personal experience and knowledge since many time what we see in google and when we experience in person is way different.

Thats why i'm looking for experience from someone who already in there and can help with their own experience.

Thank you for your good wishes !!!

pnwcyclist wrote:

Hi PEJ, not sure what IB is, I can only think of International Business..? University level? Anyway, regarding the schools I was referencing for the OP question:

Cebu International School in Talamban is between 250-300K/yr, accoording to friends of ours who have their son there.

Sage Academy in Lahug, not far from me is 100-120K/yr. I'm quite certain they follow the international program as we checked into it before for my GF's son.

Cheers,
John

Hi John

IB is the International Baccalaureate, the only truly internationally recognized qualification for grade 12