Any opinions on the following schools?

Hello,

My family & I will be in Beijing next week to check out the following schools for our girls. I was wondering if there any of you would not mind sharing their experiences or opinions on these schools:

1) Western Academy of Beijing
2) Beijing International School
3) DayStar Academy (Montessori)

Thanks.

Hi geenasiedu!

I hope other members will tell you more about them soon ;)

Regards
Armand

ISB would probably be considered the best international school in Beijing. It's been here the longest (since 1990 or something like that). They have a really large modern campus. The student population is very diverse (many international schools are 50-80% Korean students). They have very high academic standards and they have big/competitive sports programs. And they are really, really expensive.

This might be an inexact comparison but I think of ISB as a PC and WAB (Western Academy) as a Mac. WAB seems to be a bit more art/philosophy/creativity focused. It doesn't quite have the same level of recognition as ISB, but from what I hear it's a great school too. Both these school have really high academic standards and because some many of the kids come from high achieving families (diplomats, CEO, high level businessmen) a lot of the graduates go on to really good colleges.

The other point I would make is that both ISB and WAB are in an area called Shunyi, which is out near the airport. If you're living in the city there are probably buses, but it's a really long commute for your kids each day (probably at least 1 hr each way).

I don't know much about DayStar, so I won't comment.

We have some more info about things to consider when moving to Beijing here, and here.

All three schools are more or less in the same part of town. ISB (International School of Beijing) is in Shunyi. WAB (Western Academy of Beijing) and Daystar are on the outer edges of Chaoyang District. The distance between the three schools is not far.

I am not sure that I understand the PC / Mac approach.

Both ISB and WAB have excellent reputations, are very popular, often have waiting lists and are huge.

DayStar is far smaller and is bilingual. Worthwhile checking their definition of bi-lingual because this can vary from school to school.

You mention Montessori. From that comment is it safe to assume that you are looking for schooling options for young children? How long will you be in China? Which academic approach best suits your needs? American? British ? Canadian? IB?  et cetera. If long term then might be better to choose a school that they can continue with for the duration of your assignment.

Just to confuse some more in the same part of town you might wish to consider Dulwich College (Campus for younguns is in Beijing Riviera) and the International Montessori School of Beijing (near River Garden)

I cannot answer which school is best for your daughters because I do not know them. All three of the schools you mention are okay. Visit the three of them, check availability and see which is best suited to your kids needs.

Personally, I would choose a smaller schools rather than a shopping mall size schools but that is very subjective.

Can anyone give me information on the following school?
Beanstalk International

Thank you...

Beanstalk is not a school, but a kindergarten, right?

@therooster - pls note that this thread is quite old ;)

It is far more than a kindergarten ... see http://www.bibs.com.cn/