Research Visa and Mother Visa

Hi, I am going to get a research visa to UK and I want to take my mother with me because I have nobody else who can take care of her. She has Venezuelan passaport.and I wonder if she can apply for a tourist visa?
I was told that I have to be first in the UK and after that she can apply for a visa to join me. As I told you above, I have nobody to leave her with. So please, advise me, what should I do?. I do not want to lose this job opportunity.

Thank you

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

All short-term visas have been moved into one single "standard visitor visa"; on this visa your mother can stay for a maximum of 6 months in any one calendar year.  From what you've said, I think you need to apply for a Family Visa, not a visitor visa, the details of applying for this can be found at this link.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you Cynic,
My research visa would be funded by the university where I am going to work, so I think I
can not apply for family visa and the university would not support my mother´s visa, so please, advise!
Masun

nusma wrote:

Thank you Cynic,
My research visa would be funded by the university where I am going to work, so I think I
can not apply for family visa and the university would not support my mother´s visa, so please, advise!
Masun

Have you read the link I provided?  In particular, the bit titled "Apply as an adult coming to be cared for by a relative " at the very top of the page it takes you to.

I recommend you follow the process described in that link and see how you get on?

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you Cynic.

The third point in the link you provided says : "the person you'll be joining in the UK will be able to support ----"
I am not living yet in the UK, so my first question is:
after I get my research visa, my mother could apply for a family visa? and travel with me at the same time? without leaving her behind.
My second question is : What is the  minimum salary requirement that I have to earn? to be able to apply a family visa for my mother.
Thank you

Hi again.

I just went through the process described in the link I previously gave you; it would appear that she can apply to travel with you (expensive though, £3,250 just for the visa).  There are also requirements that she holds the equivalent of a biometric passport (I guess because these can be scanned by a mobile phone device - I just did it for my wife).

There is also an immigration health charge of £400 each (read this link).  You might want to ask your future employer if they provide any support for this.

The salary requirements are £18,600 p/year for yourself, plus it says you need an additional income of £3,800 for the first dependant.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks Cynic
Things are clearer for me.

Hi Cynic,
Do you have any idea about how long family visa would take?
thank you
Masun

Hi again.

It says on the website that I previously gave you the link to:

UK Gov website wrote:

How long it takes

If you apply outside the UK a decision will usually be made within 12 weeks.

If you apply in the UK a decision will usually be made:

within 8 weeks of your application date if you use the standard service
    within 1 working day of providing your biometric information if you use the super priority service

It might take longer if your application is complex, for example, you:

do not meet the minimum income requirement
    cannot prove your knowledge of English
    need to attend an interview
    have not provided all the evidence that the Home Office needs
    have a criminal conviction or another personal circumstance that needs to be reviewed

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team