The must-try activities in Mexico

Hello everyone,

Moving to Mexico is an exciting opportunity to discover a new culture and try things you might not even have heard of before. To make sure other expats and expats-to-be do not miss a thing, would you be able to answer the following questions on activities not-to-be-missed in Mexico?

What are the activities everyone must try at least once in Mexico?

What are the activities that one should partake in if they want to discover the local culture?

Are there any activities that are characteristic of Mexico?

Do you have an anecdote to share about any of the activities listed above?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Moving to Mexico is an exciting opportunity to discover a new culture and try things you might not even have heard of before. To make sure other expats and expats-to-be do not miss a thing, would you be able to answer the following questions on activities not-to-be-missed in Mexico?

What are the activities that one should partake in if they want to discover the local culture?

Are there any activities that are characteristic of Mexico?

Do you have an anecdote to share about any of the activities listed above?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Well if you are going to be in the Yucatan you really should visit as many beaches and  Cenotes as possible. What are Cenotes? they are deep water-filled pools that are interconnected to natural underground caves,
Another place to see would be the freshwater lake in Bacalar which actually does have 7 different shades of blue. Beyond that, there are numerous ancient cities old runes and if you search stingless endangered tiny bees you might meet.

As for activities, there are almost constant holidays and fiestas, Not to be missed would be the famous Dia de Los Muertos which actually becomes 2 or 3 days. Here they also celebrate Guadalupe with a sort of race from town to town carrying statues of the lady of Guadalupe.

Finding something to do or see isn't hard at all.

Below is my reply to your "Must-Try Activities."

Most foreign nationals who call México “home” have at least a passing interest it the country's ancient cultures and civilizations. México boasts 29,000 archaeological sites, over 150 of which are open to the public. Many of these sites are designated UNESCO World Patrimony sites, meaning that they are recognized as sites that bear clues to mankind's origins and evolution.
One activity or undertaking is to visit as many of these sites as is reasonable possible.  Although they are all worth visiting, a few stand out. These are the largest, most visited and most impressive sites in the country, ones that every foreign national should visit. All but one of these ancient cities reached its peak between 200 and 900 A.D. The exception is Chichén Itzá, which rose to prominence later.
The civilizations that were found in ancient México were located in the area known as “Mesoamerica.” Mesoamerica is located in the territory of the southern half of present-day México, Guatemala, El Salvador, Belize and western Honduras and Nicaragua. In some cases it also includes Costa Rica.
The Pre-Hispanic city of Teotihuacán was one of the largest urban centers of the ancient world. At its peak it had a population of over 100,000 and was situated in a valley rich in natural resources, Teotihuacán was the seat of power of one of the most influential Mesoamerican societies. Located not far from México City, it is visited by almost 2 million people each year.
The second most visited and one of the most famous of México's archeological sites is Chichén Itzá. It was a Mayan city located in what is now the state of Yucatán and is situated roughly half-way between Merida and Cancun. The main temple, El Castillo, is one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. According to Travel & Leisure magazine 1.4 million tourists visit it every year.
Tulum, with roughly 1.1 million visitors each year it is not far behind Chichén Itzá in popularity. A short distance from Cancun, Tulum has the most attractive setting of all México's archeological sites. Once guarded by Mayan warriors, Tulum's 700-year-old El Castillo temple was the first sign of civilization that the Spanish explorers came across in México.
Another Mayan city situated half-way between Chitchén Itzá and Tulum, is Cobá. It garners less than half of the annual visitors as does is neighbors. Cobá is an extensive complex of Maya ruins settled between 100 B.C. and 100 A.D. Cobá is rivaled in size only by Chichén Itzá, which was an enemy city for many centuries. The site has several large pyramids, including Nohoch Mul, which is the tallest pyramid in the Yucatán peninsula.
Monte Albán is a large archaeological site located near the city of Oaxaca. It was the capital of the Zapotec civilization from 500 BC to 800 AD. The site is located on a flattened mountaintop offering sweeping views of the surrounding valley. In 1987, Monte Albán was added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The archeological sites mention here are only five of the more popular ones. There are literally hundreds more. If a foreign national wants to learn about the history of México, there is no better way than visiting its many archeological sites.

Many popular activities come to mind. However, one that too many foreign nationals overlook is “Street Food.” “Street Food” is often defined as local, authentic culinary experiences. Although the food of all countries is a great introduction to the country's history, people and culture, street food draws you in not only to the flavors of local food, but equally important is the culture from which it emanates.
Most of the best street food is found in out of the way places, away from the tourist spots and well-traveled neighborhoods. Seeking out street foods will take the dedicated to locations they probably would never have gone. Finding a city's best street food is a great way to engage ordinary local people whose paths one would otherwise never cross. It is an ideal method to practice the local language or dialect or expand one's vocabulary and learn new idioms.
When one is on a quest to find excellent street food, they get the chance to expand their culinary horizons. They often discover a food they cannot identify and frequently are told it comes from a part of the animal they have not eaten before. Because of the unique setting, it is usually impossible to say “no” to the new experience and most frequently the visitor finds that their concern was unfounded.
This unique activity will teach the foreign national about Tlayuda, Guajolota, Tacos de Mariscos, Huitlacoche, and Camotes, just to name a few. Forbes magazine has reported that over fifty percent of the Mexican population eats street food at least weekly. Ask locals or foreign nationals who have lived in México for years for recommendations. Or, just look for an out of the way food stand that is surrounded by locals and join in. In is something every foreign national should try at least once. But, when one does, it will not be their last.

Any anecdote to share about any of the activities listed above?

I have had the good fortune to visit a number of México's archeological sites. I have never been disappointed and have always learned something interesting and important about the country I now call “home.” I have many more on my list to visit.
In Mazatlán we have a restaurant that periodically does a “Taco Tour.” The participants are taken to out of the way food stands and introduced to the foods the locals eat on a daily basis. Not only is it educational, it is fun. Now whenever I have guests in town I always take them on the “Taco Tour.” In most cases when they return they want to go to one or more of the food stands they were introduced to on their “Taco Tour.”

My plan is to move to San Miguel de Allende (yes, along with the masses number of expats) in one year. I look forward to visiting again in January and March of next year, and lining up business opportunities, preferred locations in which to find a shared or small single rental and the like. The 'not to be missed in Mexico' reply from MurrayPage - though I would add one recommendation to trying the endless delicacies of street food in Mexico. SKIP the salsa, yes I said SKIP it. WHY? Because that's where the bacteria forms, most efficiently in warmer climates, and double that for every bloody hour the salsa sits outside, with varied people dipping in/out regardless of how much one tries to guard against double-dipplng and CLEAN spoons.  A well documented scientific study I read a few years ago convinced me. That doesn't mean you can't still get sick from the food practices followed, or not, by the purveyor, but eliminating the salsa sitting outside all day is a giant step in the right direction.  DITTO that with eating fruit without rinsing it in 'good' water.

Sandi Vargas wrote:

My plan is to move to San Miguel de Allende (yes, along with the masses number of expats) in one year. I look forward to visiting again in January and March of next year, and lining up business opportunities, preferred locations in which to find a shared or small single rental and the like. The 'not to be missed in Mexico' reply from MurrayPage - though I would add one recommendation to trying the endless delicacies of street food in Mexico. SKIP the salsa, yes I said SKIP it. WHY? Because that's where the bacteria forms, most efficiently in warmer climates, and double that for every bloody hour the salsa sits outside, with varied people dipping in/out regardless of how much one tries to guard against double-dipplng and CLEAN spoons.  A well documented scientific study I read a few years ago convinced me. That doesn't mean you can't still get sick from the food practices followed, or not, by the purveyor, but eliminating the salsa sitting outside all day is a giant step in the right direction.  DITTO that with eating fruit without rinsing it in 'good' water.

Good for you Sandi sounds like you are planning which is a good first step.

As for your health advice. I would suggest you be very observant. You may notice many vendors are nowhere near a bathroom. Prompting the question of where do you wash your hands. Also, how are you cleaning your food area, and with what? How are you storing that food?  Serious street vendors in areas like Mexico are very careful so there would be a much lower risk of problems
As for the salsa, it is no more dangerous than the food you are putting it on. Actually, in many cases the ingredients in salsa may retard bacteria. "many compounds isolated from spices have shown antimicrobial activity against some of the most common microorganisms that affect the food quality and shelf life (Tajkarimi et al., 2010)." Vinegar and lime are particularly helpful. 

I usually don't buy street food and I am very observant. I do buy food at the peoples open-air market and bring it home to prepare. What do you mean by "good water"? Products in the store often listo para comer, so some items may already be cleaned.

Outstanding points and clearly more recent, thanks so much and 'listo para comer' is a good thing for me to watch out for so appreciate your thoroughness!   Gracias, Sandi