Rent payment

When renting accommodation in Cambodia is the rent usally paid every month, what's the norm

Unless you make a deal to prepay 6 or 12 months, in order to get extra discount.

Usual is monthly and a one month deposit.

Cheers

Joe

Can I assume then if I don't like the place I can move out anytime probably loose the deposit but that's ok

Why would you rent a place that you don't like?

You can visit the place many times before you decide.

Maybe better to rent for 6 months and sing it out.

Apart from loosing your deposit you breach the contract, a bad thing to do, which could cause some unpleasant reactions.

Try to keep things pleasant. Rent for 6 months and sing it out, leaving in a normal fashion.

Cheers

Joe

My experience has been that the rent is paid monthly. You may also have to pay for electricity, water, refuse removal or WiFi. Often with the exception of electricity, all that is included in your rent. In my previous apartment the landlord calculated my electricity bill each month and I paid her. My present landlord hands me the original bill from the electricity company, I give him the money and he pays it for me.
    Deposits are often a source of tension. Yes, you can move mid-contract and may feel the need to even if the property seemed perfect when you first move in but best work on the basis you will get nothing back. Eg, before I knew better, I signed a lease for a year in a very nice apartment block and paid 2 months deposit. It was great for months until new, nightmare neighbours moved in upstairs. Despite the landlord agreeing the noise was shockingly bad, parties several nights a week etc and saying she would "deal with it" turned out they were friends of hers and nothing changed. I decided to move because of the noise. I work and couldn't sleep at night.  The agent I used intervened but she refused to refund anything and rerented the apartment almost immediately for $150 a month more than I paid. The next place was beautiful but now I'd advise against a newly built property. Beautiful house, 1 month's deposit paid then after two weeks the house suddenly stank of raw sewage. Long story short the plumbing was wrongly done but to make the place look good, it had been covered over in tonnes of concrete. Landlady admitted the problem, agreed she could not live there but said she could neither afford to fix it or refund my deposit and started manic crying when ever we spoke to her. The place stank like a sewage canal so we moved again. My current landlord seems more relaxed. It's an older property. I paid a month's deposit. He's been very good re maintenance, we provide our own WiFi, he calculates the water bill in front of me and seems, hopefully, to be a decent guy.
    It remains to be seen whether or not our deposit is returned at the end of our stay. Some people get lucky and others don't. That's about the sum of it here.

We've rented since January in a recently built apartment building. Beautiful condo, great views all around, paid one month deposit and the rent is paid each month. Originally rented for 6 months with one month notice on both sides, renewed in June for another 6 months as we are depending on extending our retirees visa.

The owners are very secure in their choice of tenants, they want to keep their building quiet and it is. They are also very conscientious about regular maintenance, they order the water for all tenants, as well as the gas bottles when it is time to renew it. They came to clean our A/C in April before we had the opportunity to ask them about its maintenance. We read our individual electric and water meters, take a picture and pay what we owe each month, and get a proof of payment in return.
We have since become good friends and have a great relationship with the rest of the family too. I guess we are very fortunate to have these kind people as owners.

However, we have had a couple of problems that would probably push people to move but that was a problem concerning the neighbors. Still, we hardly slept for 5 months and that put a toll on everyone until I resolved it together with the neighbors.
Another challenge that might also be a reason for moving was discovered after the first rains: water poured under the doors and every window! It meant we had to be home when it rained if we wanted to avoid a proper flood.
But the owner came and fixed everything in the best possible way. And it seems to work.
But not every owner is as conscientious or willing to do what it takes to accommodate their tenants.
Your experience is a good tip for caution to people who are new in the country.
Naturally we visited the house/condo prior to renting it but there might be hidden defects that nobody will talk about before we sign the contract. That could happen in any country by the way, but in the West we usually have laws that protect a tenant against this types of things. They might very well have them here too but people do not know about it.