Long term rental

Hi
We are moving to the Faro region in September.

We will eventually buy somewhere but in the meantime does the expat community have suggestions for how we should look for somewhere long term. We were considering somewhere for three months like a long term holiday let to give us time to look for something more permanent.

Also as we are doing it remotely, what should we expect? Hand over a deposit after contracts are agreed? Do estate agents give a receipt? How can you check estate agency credentials?

Many thanks,

Roz

Roz.  I recently took up residency in Algarve after taking a few weeks to look around areas to consider.
I have rented for 6 months Jan-June inclusive but found it exceedingly difficult procuring a long term rental in low season....Just like the Spanish , it appears the Portugese preference is to leave property empty for 9 months to make money in 3 months high season. Seems strange to me - Why not have both??!!
If you are looking for 3 months high season then it may be exceedingly expensive even if you find something. Rents can easily quadruple in high season.
My understanding is that part of the issue is that taxation is heavy for longer term rentals.
Also, if looking, please take into consideration the time of year....some areas can be virtual ghost towns for months during winter yet appear ideal if you visit in April or May...
I would check estate agencies but my finding was that almost none had or wanted rental business and those who did were looking for a month deposit for somewhat disappointing properties.
I eventually found a rental option in a perfect location for me via word of mouth.......we asked the owner of hotel we were staying if he knew of anyone...and we were introduced to another member of the family who had a property but had not previously thought of renting it other than in the summer months.
So far it has worked out just fine and wish you luck too.
Ps.  If you are looking for a double room in a large 3 double roomed apartment, central old town Albufeira 400yds from beach and restaurants but in a quiet area meantime or Jan-June 2020 then I may have just the ticket!!
Best wishes. Alan

Long term/Short term is very difficult at times on The Algarve as owners want to maximise the summer months. We have a couple of clients who would consider short 3-6 month rents from September but not during the peak July/Aug.
Many of our clients are East Algarve - Tavira based if that works let me know

Steve