+5 Years Experience with no Degree?

I know this question is asked a lot, but I can't find, I can't even find 2 people agreeing on the same thing which is weird!

Long story short, I'm planning to move to Vietnam soon, I don't have a degree but I've been working in advertising and account management for over 5 years, I can prove that legitimately.

Can I actually work with that and get a work permit?

I see most people only answer this question for English Teaching but what about other fields, lots of companies needs high experience in advertising and account management/customer success with good English and they can't find that in Vietnamese people, so is it possible to actually get a work permit in this field with just experience?

If no one has an answer, can someone at least guide me for a law firm or any governmental website that I can email them and ask about my case.

I just need to have a legit answer so I would be confident when I apply to jobs that this can be done once a company accepts me.

Officially, you need a degree to get a work permit (unless its recently changed), however, much like anything else in Vietnam, if you chuck enough money at it, you can get one.

1312j wrote:

Officially, you need a degree to get a work permit (unless its recently changed), however, much like anything else in Vietnam, if you chuck enough money at it, you can get one.

Not true, if you have documented proof of experience you can get a WP. I know this,as I did it years ago.

"For foreigners who are artisans of traditional trades or experienced in their professions, production execution and management but have no certificate or diploma of recognition, a written certification of at least five years experience in their profession, production execution and management issued by a competent foreign agency is required."

I am just curious how someone, regardless of experience, who does not speak Vietnamese, could reasonably expect to flourish in the field of advertising in Vietnam.  Aside from a few catch phrases, all the advertising I have ever seen is in Vietnamese.

Vietnamese TV advertising seems stuck in a 1960's mode with the idea that the louder the better.  Still, I would think that knowing the language would still be needed.

THIGV wrote:

I am just curious how someone, regardless of experience, who does not speak Vietnamese, could reasonably expect to flourish in the field of advertising in Vietnam.  Aside from a few catch phrases, all the advertising I have ever seen is in Vietnamese.

Vietnamese TV advertising seems stuck in a 1960's mode with the idea that the louder the better.  Still, I would think that knowing the language would still be needed.

I have heard this comment few times and Online advertising is entirely different that than, I'm working in a company in Egypt, I'm a native Egyptian and I rarely speak Arabic at work, all of my work is in English, most online advertising agencies work globally and they need English speakers to handle different markets and different type of clients.

Not only that but most big agencies in Vietnam are actually not Vietnamese, most of them are Japanese, Singaporean or  American and all of these mostly work with European & American clients just like here in Egypt, I have checked a few companies and they definitely seek expats more than Vietnamese as they need English speakers with decent experience in the field and actually that's not very common in Vietnam.

Some agencies definitely need someone that knows the Vietnamese culture and speaks the language and apparently those are not the companies I'm seeking to work at.

colinoscapee wrote:
1312j wrote:

Not true, if you have documented proof of experience you can get a WP. I know this,as I did it years ago.

"For foreigners who are artisans of traditional trades or experienced in their professions, production execution and management but have no certificate or diploma of recognition, a written certification of at least five years experience in their profession, production execution and management issued by a competent foreign agency is required."

So that is a thing a not a hoax?

FouadAdel wrote:
THIGV wrote:

I have heard this comment few times and Online advertising is entirely different that than, I'm working in a company in Egypt, I'm a native Egyptian and I rarely speak Arabic at work, all of my work is in English, most online advertising agencies work globally and they need English speakers to handle different markets and different type of clients.

If your specialty is online advertising, can't it be done remotely from most any location?  Again, I am not doubting you.  I am trying to expand my understanding.

FouadAdel wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
1312j wrote:

So that is a thing a not a hoax?

I did say that I have done this in the past.

THIGV wrote:

If your specialty is online advertising, can't it be done remotely from most any location?  Again, I am not doubting you.  I am trying to expand my understanding.

Actually yes, that's actually my plan B to work remotely in an Online Advertising agency, but not all agencies has such flexibility.