How much time does it take to get the Tax refund?

Hi All,
I have filed tax on the online HASIL  portal and am supposed to get a refund directly in my account. The local Malaysians get the refund in 1-2 weeks while i have heard it takes around 2-3 months for expats. How true i this?

Also, one of the expats in KL suggested to visit the tax office to expedite the process. Is this true? Please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Ash

It does take 2-3 months to get a refund because unlike local Malaysians there can be the question about tax residency to be resolved.

I assume you were working in Malaysia for 182 days in 2018 and used Form e-BE

Visiting tax office won't help as the processing is done elsewhere by the division responsible for expatriate taxation

Hi Gravitas,
Hope you're doing great!

Yes i completed 182 days in 2018 and used e-BE.

The thing is that i am planning to go back to India shortly and won't have control over the process and hence wanted to something abt it..
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

There is nothing really to do unless you are leaving Malaysia permanently and should you do your tax clearance for 2019 then that would expedite your 2018 processing.

Unfortunately Ramadan dates this year are not convenient for rapid tax processing as working hours are reduced.

It really will be first come first served and filing the return in March is going to be the most advantageous situation.

Hello Gravitas,

Supposedly I jave finizhed my 182 days. I started Nov 2018 then done with July 2019. When can I start to file for my refund for 2018? How long it will be back to me? What is the process or documents needed?

Aly

Hi,

I was working with a company from an year and recently changed to another company.

I went to LHDN to clear tax, after 2 months I  received letter from LHDN that my tax is cleared and refund will be processed soon.

However, after 1 month I got an email from LHDN saying my Bank MAYBANK have rejected the tax amount to my account.

I contacted both LHDN and MAYBANK, both said not our mistake check viceversa. I'm stuck now and my tax amount RM 4000 is no where.

Have any one faced this issue? Please help me how to get my amount.

Thank you.