How to settle down in China

How would you describe life in China?

Compared with Hong Kong, the life at the big city in China is much relax and slow, here you are easier to find the restaurant, barber shop or even the hospital. And the food, accommodation, transportation is quite cheaper as well. Living in China as a foreigner, I am using 2cardphone by which I can have my Thailand sim and China Sim online simultaneously. It saves my roaming charge for the local calling while keeping me connected with my Thailand friends by the Thailand sim.

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?
It is very easier to settle down here. But I suggest you to login the relevant website in English so that you can find the right agent for any assistance you need. Remember, the English level here is not high, but internet is very popular.

Is it complicated to make friends in China?
It is very hot now, Chinese people are learning English. You are easier to make friends with the students or even clerks by your western appearance.

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in China?
Once you arrive in China, the first thing is that you should buy a local SIM, and the 2nd thing is to remember the inquiry hotline: 114.
People here don't get used to pay by AA, so your friend may pay you a dinner sometimes and you should pay for him next time as a good return. And I suggest you try your best to learn speaking Chinese if you plan to live here for a long period.

2cardphone

My personal experience as a foreign chinese who lived in CHina some years ago - language and cultural barrier are definitely the issues you need to resolve. The chinese in general do not speak good english and find it hard if you speak to them too fast. However when it comes to written english, do not be suprise that some of them can write very well.

One way to find out more about chinese people before you consider moving to China is to use the internet.

If you are trying to find business contacts, you can try http://www.alibaba.com

On the other hand, if you simply want to make some friends with CHina people before you move to china, you can try http://www.ecpod.com

Hope you find them useful.

Rgds,