Ways to keep a valued prepaid mobile # alive?

Hi

I did a search before posting... Failed to find VIETTEL's plans (the internet has been iffy, many pages simply won't load).

In Thailand, one could pay a fee to end the need for frequent top-up payments (TRUE).

Q: Is there such an option for VIETTEL?

Q: Do you have a link to their purchase of minutes? Say I pay in 100,000 VND, will I get more money vs a 50,000 VND deposit? (Pardon my ignorance).
---
For data, VINAPHONE has a 2 GB a day and 50 free minutes plan for 89,000 VND  ;)

Viettel has various monthly plans from 3G to 4G which are ridiculously affordable .  You should drop by one of their offices, or call them up if you speak Vietnamese.

Stop by a Thế Giới Di Động near you, they're authorized to take payments and sell plans for all major cell phone providers.  Language will not be an issue there.

https://insideretail.asia/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/The-gioi-di-dong-store-Mobile-World.jpg

There's no such fee as you mentioned, but I always pay for multiple months so not to be bothered by the reminder too often later.  My husband is even lazier, he puts 1M into his non-plan plan, which lasts him more than a year.

You also get a discount when paying multiple months or above a certain amount.

Ciambella wrote:

My husband is even lazier, he puts 1M into his non-plan plan, which lasts him more than a year.

The problem with that is that I think they deactivate your account after 6 months of inactivity? I got a prepaid SIM from January and luckily I'm going back in May and will be able to use it a bit so that it doesn't deactivate, until I'm back for 7 months in September.

WillyBaldy wrote:

The problem with that is that I think they deactivate your account after 6 months of inactivity?

If you make one call every two months, the account will stay active.  Doesn't matter the length as long as it's a direct call -- meaning not via WhatsApp, Viber, Zalo, etc. and the call is connected.

Ciambella wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

The problem with that is that I think they deactivate your account after 6 months of inactivity?

If you make one call each month, the account will stay active.  Doesn't matter the length as long as it's a direct call -- meaning not via WhatsApp, Viber, Zalo, etc. and the call is connected.

It's just a bit hard to use that SIM card from Canada :lol: So keeping a card active while abroad between trips can be challenging.

WillyBaldy wrote:

It's just a bit hard to use that SIM card from Canada :lol: So keeping a card active while abroad between trips can be challenging.

Check with Vinaphone.  IIRC, they have a SIM card that gives you 50 international minutes to 6 or 8 countries including Canada.  I'm thinking, which may not be correct at all, that if there's a To, then a From may not be so far behind.

PS:  I hope you understand my last sentence.  I'm too tired to explain clearly.  Heading to bed.

Ciambella wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

Check with Vinaphone.  IIRC, they have a SIM card that gives you 50 international minutes to 6 or 8 countries including Canada.  I'm thinking, which may not be correct at all, that if there's a To, then a From may not be so far behind.

Well, they'd have to allow *roaming*, which means I can connect with their SIM in Canada and use it. I really doubt any Vietnamese telecom allows roaming abroad but times are changing and I could be wrong. Simply allowing international calls *from* Vietnam would not work. But I'll need to investigate this, if it really works it could be useful one day.

WillyBaldy wrote:

Or: Know anyone in Vietnam, friend or family? Leave them with your SIM in a cheapo phone. Remind them by email after 5 months: please make a call. Similar to what my wife does: leaves the SIM with her sister, sister pops it in her phone for a quick use. Her number requires usage every 2 or 3 months.

gobot wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

Or: Know anyone in Vietnam, friend or family? Leave them with your SIM in a cheapo phone. Remind them by email after 5 months: please make a call. Similar to what my wife does: leaves the SIM with her sister, sister pops it in her phone for a quick use. Her number requires usage every 2 or 3 months.

Yeah that's what I should have done, although I might or might not have used that number for shady stuff and might not want someone else have access to it  :D