Getting married to a Dominican girl

Gabe 30 maybe you are looking for love in all the wrong places.  Finding a life partner on the streets of Sosua or Boca Chica etc is NOT the right place

BObK

Thanks for stepping in Armand!!!!

As someone who has lived here for over 9 years -  here is what I know:

There are many many really good Dominicans - both male and female.

AS A TOURIST YOU WILL NOT GET TO MEET THESE PEOPLE.  for the most part good Dominicans want nothing to do with the stereotypical tourist!!!!

Until you  LIVE HERE you don't know what it is really like. I don't care how many times you visited, how many boyfriends or girlfriends you have had -  you have NO IDEA what it is truly like to live here.

It is amazing and wonderful in so many ways. AND it is totally different then what you knew or know as a visitor. SO forget coming here for "the 1".  Move here for YOU, not for THEM. Move here and learn,  watch and listen.  Learn to live here and love this country.  That takes a couple of years. THEN start to think about a long term relationship.

And those who suggest coming here for sex tourism - well you really are not the kind of tourists we want!  It won't stop happening but take it to one of the forums where that discussion is welcome.

Thank you Planner.

I guess he will never know what it like to stand in line with 20 Dominicans (and a few expats) to pay your electirc bill and be able to talk to 5 or 6 people (Dominicans) you know about work, health, family, babies, political misques and so on.

If you try there is a sense of community.

Bob K

So true Bob.  It is part of what I love here.  I speak to everyone now....LOL

[Moderated: Inappropriate]

To the powers above, thank you for removing ronbnice100 totally inappropriate post. Hopefully some one explained the "rules" to him before he posts again.

Bob K

Hi Frostbite,

I'm new here as of today (2/12/2013) My name is Alan Rosello originally from Chicago. 57 years old an Ex Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Veteran (1974-1986) who also lived in Japan 34 years but visited quite a number of countries before coming back to America in July of 2011. I'm planning on marrying a Dominican woman this year who I have known for a long while. she's excatly 20 years younger than me, divorced with 2 kids (17 and 19) She lives with her mother in Santiago. I am also planning on living there this year I'm sure I'll here a lot of things from other members here as well but it's like you said, I don't think I'd ever find someone as beautiful (Inside and out) as she is here in America either as a lot ladies here have changed too much for me. Being that a lot of them are fat,with a lot of ugly tatoos, body piercings and bad attitudes. I say more power to you because as you also said, life is "Too Short" and if we make a mistake fine rebound and go on. I was also married before in Japan for five long grueling years in the 1980's. There are good and bad everywhere it's just a matter of knowing who you're involved with is my opinion. Good luck to us both.

Alan good luck and welcome to the DR

Bob K

Thank you Bob I'm sure I'll love it for the most part.  :)

Welcome to DR as well!   You have a great attitude and that is half the battle.

There are good people and not so good people everywhere!  The key I think, is to go in with your eyes wide open to all possibilities. 

When you are happy, enjoy.  When you are not, take whatever steps are needed.

nice to hear from you allen, i think that you have the right attitude and i hope that things work out for you and your lady. i am still in san juan de la maguana enjoying everyday, the weather back in canada has been nasty. one thing ive learned after spending alot of time here is that in general the people here are extemely friendly, warm and generous, of course there are bad people here but there are bad people everywhere, ive never had any problems at all, i travel around the town alone all the time and do my banking and shopping or just cruising on my scooter and i always feel safe here, you have to be a little more careful in the big citys but ive never had a problem in santo domingo either.
   i find the ladys here are very wonderful, they always dress nice and care about the way they look, my girlfriend dresses up and puts on make up to go to the grocery store, not like the girls where i come from at all. the chances of a relationship lasting are 50/50 at best so why should we expect anything different from dominican girls. if you find someone that makes you happy that is what is important, who cares about age or race difference? i sure dont and no one here that ive met here so far seems to care especialy my girlfriends family, they love me unconditionaly and would do anything for me, it is very important for them to see me happy, being treated like a king takes a little getting used to, all my meals are cooked for me and my laundry is done and my house is spotless, i dont have to do anything but enjoy the weather. my girlfriend is in university so i enjoy helping her out with some of her home work, its a great way to learn more spanish, i tranlate everything to english and then back to spanish. thats enough about me, i truly hope things work out for you and your lady and keep enjoying life Dominican style...  frostbite

Hi Planner,

Thank you as well for your comments, I'm really looking forward to everything there. Though I speak Spanish,it will be nice to know some people there and speak English as well. Keep in touch ok?

LOL.. I have been here for 1/2 a year and counting... Enjoying all the conversation...  My work keeps me exiled at Cap Cana most of the time so it is hard to really mingle w/ the regular locals here. But I am patient. and like "Planners" advise on watching and waiting....

Hi I wonder what is a good Dominican woman? I am considering moving to the DR. I wonder if the girl I know would be considered a good woman? She is from Santiage. I actually met her in the USA at a summer course. She did have a BF and I was with my GF. We met a year later and kinda lost contact. I spoke to her lately and she was single and so was I. I went to RD and her hometown. She is 26 and finished university. She is not from a rich family but has a good job (working a lot of hours) and has her own car. I stayed at a hotel and we did hang out with normally a friend or relative of her with us. We do have daily contact. Sorry but I have been hurt before....

LOL.. If she has a car and a job..... your way up the ladder..... Then you have to look for the "Gucci" thing of wanting all the luxuries....

Welcome Brians.  The only way you can find out if she is a good girl is with time. You need to be with her in various situations and locations. Same advice - watch and wait!  Then you tell us.Seems to be a rare find but time will tell.

Take it SLOW very SLOW, extremely SLOW.
You need to KNOW her before you do anything like move in together.  Once in and part of your life it will be very hard and $$$$$ to leave the relationship if that were to be the case.

Did I mention to take it SLOW :)

Bob K

You are getting the best advice from the 2 best people on here in my opinion..... Don't pay any attention to me.. I am pessimist when it comes to Dominican women......

Ha ha ok Its good advise. Thanks.. No she has not asked for gucci or money etc. I was not planning yet to move in together.
She is also not working in a tourist place or I am like 25 years older.. Trying to visit the DR soon too see how she is.

@captsam. All advise is welcome. Its good to get to know eachothet well (same what I would do with a girl here) but the distance does not make it easier and some stories are not so positive about DR women..

Hmm I wonder why it would be difficult to have a relationship with a Dominican woman. It is a religious country. and she and me are both religious. I dont have money she cannot go with me for my money :)

Maybe you will be an exception....  Love can be found anywhere when the time is right for 2 people no matter where they come from... Do you speak very good Spanish? And if you've little money to speak of.. How do you plan to survive here??

Thanks.. however I will take it slow with her. My level of Spanish is between intermediate and advanced. Well thats the issue. I do need a job in the RD, I cant go and do nothing. I am not expecting an big salary and I can live cheap but I also dont want to live in a bad barrio..

Hey Frostbite!
Long cold winter in Canada eh?
Hey It's been 2 years since you posted. Find a decent Lady yet?
I did! YES, be very careful here & anywhere south of
the North Pole! There are millions of GoldDiggers out there!
Keep looking, it's fun!
All of a sudden, there she is!!!
The Senora of your dreams!

Brians wrote:

Thanks.. however I will take it slow with her. My level of Spanish is between intermediate and advanced. Well thats the issue. I do need a job in the RD, I cant go and do nothing. I am not expecting an big salary and I can live cheap but I also dont want to live in a bad barrio..

Then you have a problem..... No jobs here for Gringo's.. Unless you invent something they don't have here.... They will eventually copy it and then..LOL....

What do you do for a living normally? I am lucky that I am a boat Capt. and work for Rich Americans who like their Deep sea fishing here.... So Far....

I am a webdesigner/developer. I should be able to continue some of the work for my clients so I would receive some extra USD.
However a regular job would be welcome, also for a permit to stay.

You might want to post your job search in a new thread or look at the "want ads" on this forum

Bob K

Yes please post in the  jobs section - which I am told will  be cleaned up and an automated  expiry system of some sort implemented.  woo hoooo

hi tomas, yes im doin great, I was in san juan all winter with my bonita senorita

Hey Vince!
Well, are you in the Dominican again?
Hey buddy, I hope you didn't get burnt too bad!
I looked around the Island for about 6 years
for my dream Lady! I found her in "Dominican Cupid".
We met in Cabrera, bought a house together, set up housekeeping
& all is great after 3 years!
Keep looking pal & be careful!
Tom.

Tom sounds like you have a success story! There are not that many of them and good to hear it is going well.

Well, mucho gracias!
I certainly do enjoy the good life here in Cabrera!
Catalina & I are planning to get married next year.
It was fun looking around!
Take care!
Tomas.

ill be back this November,cant wait, cheers

The happiest days of my life came after i married into a dominican family. No regrets ever. I married in to the best family on the Island. jajajajaja

Welcome to the forums!!!  The country in question is the one whose laws will determine who is eligible to visit and who is not.  It is hard for Dominicans to visit most countries.  Unfortunately history has dictated  the actions of many of these countries in their limits.

Well chum, I think I married into the best family in the Dominican!

Well, it only took 2 actual applications for mi novia to get a visitor's Visa for Canada last month. Maybe it helped when we met the new Ambassador, George in March & explained our situation.

If you want to create a reason to get a visa, try starting by visiting countries that do not require a visa and coming back again. Go to Cuba or Columbia or one of the other countries you are allowed into. Create a track record for yourself.  then apply for a visitors visa to one of the other countries where a visa is needed.

Maybe you have no money but you can provide a visa for your spouse...much better! It is the way out and you are it for now. Once out , after a couple of years you may not be part of the picture...Why get married if you don't have to???

I've lived in the DR for 12 years. I came with an American GF but broke up 8 years ago. I've had 2 long relationships with Dominican women. I speak Dominican Spanish. I do not have residency, on my lawyers advice. I own a farm with clear title.
I'm planning on marrying my current GF and adopting her 12 year old daughter so we can live in Florida. I'm selling my farm, it has become far more expensive to live in the DR than it is in Florida. I own 2 houses in Florida so I won't have to pay rent. Rent is the only thing cheaper in the DR.
I'd like to hear from someone who has a good relationship and has obtained a visa for their mate.

Closed