The pet culture in Cyprus

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Cyprus just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Cyprus by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Cyprus? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

This is an important issue in Cyprus, because pet insurance is badly needed here. There is only one company that offers pet insurance, and it is expensive and only pays out under strict conditions -- it is effectively worthless, and the company is unreliable.

We need to build a group here that will either convince a foreign company to work with us, or to self-insure (yes, this can be done).  While veterinary charges here are more reasonable than in most places, should your pet become seriously ill or have an accident, the costs are formidable.

I hope anyone interested will contact me here and we can discuss first steps.
Thanks,
Andrew

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Cyprus just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Cyprus by answering the following questions?

Pets are usually brought with them or are adopted or even bought here but if things dont work out many families dump them here leave them behind when they leave, thus a major burden on the animal welfare groups here who are not well supported by the government. 

What part do pets play in society in Cyprus? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally? Pets are an important part of family life to many.... however it is commonplace for cats and dogs etc to be treated more as tools to keep vermin down and are deemed not to be sentient beings and thus expendable by many 
It is difficult to find property that is "pet friendly" especially if you need to have furnished property....   

Is it common for families to have pets?  yes

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets?  Cats, dogs, Iguanas, Parrots

Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?  Not sure of that one

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?  Pet foods can be expensive so you must shop around, there is no real affordable pet insurance available... but there are some great vets, and equally some great welfare groups who look after feed and care for feral groups.... the lack of funding is a worry as there seems to be commonplace  baited poisonings of cats and dogs taking place in some areas... many hunting dogs get dumped either on the roads or on the Akamas at the end of season left to roam the streets, killed on the roads or starve to death.

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?.....  i know we do with 1 domestic house cat and 7 feral cats in my garden we do - we probably spend €150 per month on them for food flea tick and worming. Yes its expensive but we get joy from them and it keeps them safe in an otherwise dangerous environment for them....

Not quite pets but pets often end up feral and need help

Only TNR  (Trap Neuter and Release) formerly PARC care for about 350 feral cats
Tala Monastery Cat Park (over 800 feral and dumped cats homed here)
Stray Haven Shelter for dogs
PAWS
Paphiakos
Alex's dog shelter

are notable welfare groups in the Paphos district and are worthy of support - they are run solely by volunteers and rely on donations of wet and dry foods, cash donations, - the regularly hold boot sales quiz nights and other events in order to try and raise funds. always requiring help and assistance of both cash and physical help for feeding trapping shelter work, fundraising etc etc

have lived in cyprus for 3 years now and have a pet dog who came with  us from uk had no  problems with vet groomer etc. and good for retierment please e mail to chat if you would like from this beautiful island. sally.

Hello!

Coming by plane from EU, from rabies-controlled Countries, with microchip and vaccinations properly done. What happens after landing? Is it just a formality: someone at the airport checks the passport of the pet, and microchip, and we are good to go? Or does it require a long inspection? Thanks!

no not a long inspection  only checked for drugs in cages etc  - the animals depending on size and whether they are in the hold or cabin may well go to the old airport via freight and customs depots - ours did... and there was a small fee to pay at both depts

Thanks, amazing as usual! Our dog gets very anxious if she is without my wife in unknown places. So we need to take her in the cabin, she fits weight and size wise. We can go anywhere it is required, but we would need to be with her. I think we would never fly to a place if she needs to go in the cargo, she may get too stressed :(

Yes i agree but having been through it with ours they are are amazingly resilient... wouldnt want to stress ours any more than necessary.......  our cat was 8kg and had to go in the hold,,,,  it was a hard time for him as he spent 11hrs in the cage - 3 hrs in freight at Malta then the flight of 2.5hrs then waiting for our bags of an 1hr then a 1hr when we have to get a hire car and collect him from freight and customs in the old airport in Larnaca then a 2.5+hrs journey (on which we got lost in Paphos) arriving at our new home here in Peyia at about midnight .... hot sweaty and stressed out the three of us

Hi I have a African grey parrot would I be able to bring him to cyprus with me when I move and what kind of quarantine or can I just fly him over with me coming from England hoping to retire and buy property thanks

I suspect you will need documentation to prove jabs and stuff I would suggest  you speak with your vet as everything has changed now regarding the old eu pet  passports

https://www.expatfocus.com/cyprus/movin … he-uk-5032

There are a few companies and individuals in the Paphos district who Assist  in the arrangement of pet transport

RSS Logistics in Peyia

4PawsPetTravel

Jet Set Pets

Hi guys i wanted to ask for help cause im moving to a new appartment and on the contract that we signed it says that pets are not allowed amd we have three cats i dont want to leave them on the street so i have to do something atleast to find them a home would be good its better than leaving them on the street if someone can help to adopt them or even to foster them and i will pay for the food and all the necessities i would appriciate the help verry much

@Viktoria Bekova it's going to be very difficult ... But I wish you good luck

@arosarosa

I worked in the Marine Insurance industry for a very long time. if you guys are seriously interested i can approach a few Lloyds syndicates to get the ball rolling. Problem i see is getting the Vets on board but this is a discussion point and i am sure there will be many takers for the insurance scheme. let me have your thoughts.

@charles533 you are replying to a post from 4 years ago