Moving to steinkjer May 3rd

Hi, me, my wife and our 1 year old son are moving to steinkjer on May 3rd to start a new life in Norway. I haven't secured a job as of yet but am in touch with a couple of employment agency's and will look at securing a job in the first few months of our arrival if I don't find a job before we leave. I have a rental booked for 6 months with the opportunity to extend our rental providing we are settled and I have found work. I have a few questions regarding our move. I understand that upon our arrival we will need to go to the local police station and register ourselves to be residing in Norway. Would I need to have secured a job before I go to the police station? I will obviously need to open a bank acccount and have our savings exchanged from our English bank account, am I right in thinking I will need to have the equivalent of a national insurance number in order to open an account? Thank you

Lewis nicholas

Yes you need to have a personal number issued by Skatt to have bank account.  Some banks will only accept you as customer if you have employment contract.

Hi,

The first thing you need to do is register with the police, you need to take all your papers including house contract to show where you will be living, however as it is after Brexit (possibly who knows) you may need to apply for a visa first - if you are British?

After you have the registration with the police you then need to go to the tax office and register there with the paper you get from the police. They will then send you a D number or an R number, it's more likely to be the later if you don't have a job.

Once you have a number from the tax office then you can open a bank, although not all banks will accept R numbers if that's what you end up with so you may have to shop around.

Hope this helps and good luck

Did u guys manage to move and get a job in steinkjer?