What documents for the work visa application need to be in German?

Hi,

For my application for the residence permit for the purpose of employment, I understand I need to submit several documents including my employment contract, proof of an accredited university qualification, etc.

Which of these documents need to be translated and submitted in German? Of these documents, do they need to be translated by an approved translation agency by Germany?

When I submit by college diploma, does it need to be the original version or can it be a scan of my diploma? Do I need to submit my college transcript (translated in German)?

I would welcome any other advice on how to accelerate the process of my approval!

Thanks for your help!
Amanda

The list of documents required should be available on the German embassy webpage. If they later decide they need more documents, they will contact you and ask you to submit them.
In principle, since German is the only official language here, all non-German documents need to be translated. The embassy can give you a list of approved translators in your area. Translations are costly.
Some embassies are more lenient and do accept documents in English or maybe even the local language of your country as well, but this depends on whether they have native speaking employees (and the documents are not required to be sent to Germany for processing).
Just ask the embassy what they do or don't accept!

You can check with them if they offer translation services as well (or even your closest German consulates).

You might need to Apostille certain documents too, so please check with the German Embassy from where you are. Generally long unabridged Birth Certificates need to be apostilled ( I am saying this, in case you are eventually going to get married to your boyfriend or this is needed for your work permit.)

This is only for reference:

https://southafrica.diplo.de/sa-en/sa-c … a-visalong

The German Embassy in South Africa's page where long term visa info is.

"Please note that only complete applications will be accepted. In order to ensure that your application is processed without delay, please submit the following documents (in original and two copies as indicated below). Unfortunately, copies cannot be provided by the German Missions.

Original documents required for:

Two copies of the completed visa application form Link to form

A valid passport with at least two blank pages and valid for at least another six months (please ensure that your passport is signed)

Two recent passport photograph according to biometric specifications

Two Declarations of True and Complete Information in accordance with §55 Residence Act, signed and dated

Original + two copies required for:

A signed contract of employment with specific details of the job function, salary and duration of employment

Upon request, details of qualifications entitling the applicant to the aspired occupation in Germany (e.g. university degree)

Proof of accommodation/rental agreement (accommodation mentioned in a letter of the employer will be sufficient)

Proof of health insurance valid from date of arrival and for the duration of intended stay in Germany (German Statutory/National or Private health insurance)

Please note that each visa application is reviewed individually. Therefore, the requested documents may vary. The German Missions reserve the right to ask for additional documents. The submission of the above-mentioned documents does not guarantee the issuance of a visa. Applicants may, at any time, be asked for a personal interview. Submission of incomplete documentation or refusal to attend the mandatory visa interview will result in a refusal of your visa application. Once a visa has been issued, the purpose of the trip may not be altered.

The German Missions require approximately two to three months to process your visa application. We strongly recommend that you do not purchase an airline ticket unless the visa has been granted. We kindly ask that no status requests on the visa application be made during the first two months.

We will notify the applicant on any change of status or progress of the application as soon as possible and whenever the need arises."

I'm a bit confused by this thread. One applies from abroad for a work visa (if needed) through an embassy or consulate and they will clearly say which documents they need and in what form. And yes, official documents generally have to be translated, and if so, by a certified translator.

But a residency permit is usually given by the local officials after arriving and registering where you live!? It would not seem likely that they need the same documents again that were provided for any visa but you never know. The specific requirements for documents that might only exist in digital form are unclear. One would have to ask about specific ones.

How German bureaucracy usually works is that they want to see the original of a document and then you hand in a copy for their records. Thus they can scrutinize the authenticity but you need to retain originals because you won't get them back once given in. College transcript might be relevant for a job application where they want to know exactly which subjects were taken but will not be asked for in context of a visa or residency permit.