New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Am David
Am graduate teacher in Uganda
And the same time a gospel artist my YouTube channel is K Davidson Harry
Am looking for a job in Mexico
Any job I can do

hi there. i am interested in the cost of living in chihuahua. i am thinking of relocating to mexico but i need input on the best places to live in chihuahua. all information is greatly appreciated.

adventurousC

Big Hi to everybody ,

I am neil only 54 ( yikes )  a bit about myself from swindon in wiltshire uk i am a freelance chef lived in perth australia for 9 years ( another one with a big visa story ) but loved it there. Just been  in New zealand for 6 months but i need the sun

I really want to make a go of mexico looking at cancun or playa del carmen being a chef any advise on these areas  would be brill ... will be looking at the job visa route to start with. Great talk to people on here .. very different than oz . I havent  a clue.Good to be on board here.

Shergi11 wrote:

Big Hi to everybody ,

I am neil only 54 ( yikes )  a bit about myself from swindon in wiltshire uk i am a freelance chef lived in perth australia for 9 years ( another one with a big visa story ) but loved it there. Just been  in New zealand for 6 months but i need the sun

I really want to make a go of mexico looking at cancun or playa del carmen being a chef any advise on these areas  would be brill ... will be looking at the job visa route to start with. Great talk to people on here .. very different than oz . I havent  a clue.Good to be on board here.

Hello Shergi,

Yes, Mexico will be different than Downunder. I have been to those places also.

Cancun is also someplace that I am familiar with. Cooking wise I would say your ideas would be a good start. I assume you are looking for beach areas. there are  a  few pretty good restaurants in those areas but also up near Rosarito, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. If it's not just beach there may be other places that would fit your criteria. I feel there are some pretty good restaurants in my area.

So flesh out your ideas and we will try to help.

Hi Travellight,

Thanks for your help on that one checking those places
Out .. yes i think your right mate..

I love my Beaches perth has them in abundance and i need sunshine but i wont rule out anywhere at thos stage.

All looks very different,hows your spanish coming on ?
I have literally just started.

Shergi11 wrote:

Hi Travellight,

Thanks for your help on that one checking those places
Out .. yes i think your right mate..

I love my Beaches perth has them in abundance and i need sunshine but i wont rule out anywhere at thos stage.

All looks very different,hows your spanish coming on ?
I have literally just started.

Mexico is pretty much all sunshine with a hint of heavy rain, earthquakes in and near Mexico city, heat in the Yucatan, humidity oh and hurricanes., although those seem to be trying out other countries.

I think I forgot to add Cabo to your list so you might look that up also.

Ah yes, I loved Australia and liked New Zealand. They are having various issues weather wise I see, but we all are. When I was there it was just trying to avoid the various critters and potentially deadly seashells. Of course, Mexico has some critter problems also.  Mexico has that same adventure feel that Downunder has but a bit rougher and with an official different language. Australia just has its jargon, but they speak English So no worries.

Around the resort areas many of the locals speak at least some English so initially, that could help, but given that those are tourist areas its best to learn the language. There is plenty of selling in those areas and, yes some cons, so stay sharp.

I speak fairly decent Spanish and I continue to study it. Duolingo is very helpful. Another useful tool might be the Gritty Spanish series I have on my kindle.  Google translate is a good back up.

There are a lot of Spanish apps and books, but I have found them to be ridiculously expensive and or sometimes confusing, and just not worth my time.

Learning
Spanish isn't the way they try to tell you in high school.  The form they use isn't' how it goes in reality, There are also common words they never tell you about.

Buena Suerte mate

Good afternoon:   We're moving from Florida to just below Tijuana in 3 - 4 months (we hope) and am looking for ANYONE who has done this.  I'm particularly interested in experiences with the Mexican Consulate (for the visa and for the inventory permit), timing, and such.  The drive to Miami is 3.5 hours for us, but there is a time issue as I see it.  We plan to have our things packed by the movers so I won't have a detailed inventory until that is done but then...where the f*** do we live in the meantime with our two cats and our parrot,  between time we can get an interview in MIA at the MX consulate, getting that list, having it translated to Spanish and of course, getting to the west coast. 

How detailed and exacting is Tijuana customs as to boxes and content (when certified by the mover)? Any and all experiences and ideas are welcome!

Susan

We are moving to just south of TJ (Rosarito) also in about a year.  We plan to purchase most of our furniture there.  We might buy some appliances in San Diego if our builder can't get them in Mexico.  I talked with a guy at Aztec appliances in SD to see if he would ship stuff to Rosarito, which he won't.  But he told me that he works with a customs broker in SD who will do all the paper work and transport across the border and deliver to our place.  Long story short, you might want to find a customs broker in San Diego and see if it's easier to have your mover ship to SD and then ship over via a broker who does it all the time.  Where are you moving to south of TJ?

Hi everyone, my name is Leo.  Retiring this year from teaching but my wife and I plan to run our small business for another 6 years before making the big move down south.  We live in Reno, NV.  We have traveled the past 9 years to Cozumel, Isla Majerus, Cancun, Puerto Vallerta, and Cabo.  We have stayed exclusively at all inclusive resorts - mainly because we only have had a week or so time wise so far -  so we have not really experienced Mexico but like the idea of moving down there later on.  With my retirement and the ability to close our shop for 3 to 4 weeks at a time we plan to revisit the areas longer and get out to see more of the local life.  Also nterested in Puerto Escondido and the La Paz area.  Looking for a smaller beach town to one day call home.

Hi. I'm Catherine and my husband and I currently live in Grass Valley, CA and in our late 50's.  We're looking to retire in 5-8 years, but want to seriously consider moving abroad to Mexico.  We've been to the Rivera Maya a few ago, and other than living in Okinawa while in the Marines, we haven't had a lot of experience traveling abroad.  We're considering Baha area (San Felipe) mainly because of the close proximity to San Diego, where we have family. We understand that it gets hot in the summer, but we may decide to travel to cooler climate during this time, see family, etc.   We're headed to see San Felipe in a week to get a feel of the town.  Neither my husband nor I speak spanish, but hope to begin learning.  We want to make sure to do our homework but also not wait so long that we get priced out of our dream.  Feeling a sense of community is one of our top priorities as is ability to get back to the states easily.  Would love to gain insight from expats that have already made the transition.  With much appreciation.  Catherine

We are in a similar situation but we have retired fully, having sold our business. Once her son graduates this May, we will be relocating to Tulum where we own home.  We have three units on Bahia Principe. You may read our story and view our units at USAdios.com. *Units may be viewed under the “Products and Services” page.  Best of luck!

Hello all!
Newly moving to mexico in about a week or so? finalizing now. going to be moving to oaxaca city to start I believe? But willing to be open to other options. I was married for 40+ years, having raised 2 children. one of which is coming with his daughter (15) to help the transition. looking for someone that might be able to help, as we don't speak very good english. my son has been around the world quite a bit, he lived in south africa awhile, and has been many other great places. so his help will be lovely. only, some other connections would be very much appreciated. having a friend before hand is one of my main goals. if anyone can help, thank you.

paulmartini wrote:

Hello all!
Newly moving to mexico in about a week or so? finalizing now. going to be moving to oaxaca city to start I believe? But willing to be open to other options. I was married for 40+ years, having raised 2 children. one of which is coming with his daughter (15) to help the transition. looking for someone that might be able to help, as we don't speak very good english. my son has been around the world quite a bit, he lived in south africa awhile, and has been many other great places. so his help will be lovely. only, some other connections would be very much appreciated. having a friend before hand is one of my main goals. if anyone can help, thank you.

Hello Paul Martin,

What language do you naturally speak? you are communicating in English but you say "looking for someone that might be able to help, as we don't speak very good English. "

I am contemplating a move to Mexico in the near future and will be visiting Oaxaca in May. Gk

I'm an Aussie who moved to the USA five years ago. We are retiring in a couple of years and are looking into the viability of relocating to Ajijic or one of the other communities in the Chapala area.

We are planning on a trip there in the next couple of months as I have some major dental work so we thought we could spend some time to check out if we think it would be a good place to live while there.

If there is anyone here that knows of a good dentist for major implant and bridge work in Ajijic or Guadalajara I would love your recommendations.

Hola!
Greetings to you all from Alan currently living in Florida US of A.
I am seeking input from those of you "in-the-know" about life in Mexico.  My interests are becoming a resident eventually owning property in the higher elevations away from the tropical heat.  Wanting to be near a lake or river system.  I would like to find property that is an existing small Bed and Breakfast Inn or can be converted.
Any one who can assist me in gaining knowledge will be most appreciated.  The time frame is yet to be determined but will hopefully occur in the next 1 - 2 years.
Gracias!
Alan

You might also want to explore Puerto Angel ; just south of Escondido. It is not as large as P.E and has a quaint charm. Zipolete beach is beautiful.

alvpackman wrote:

Hola!
Greetings to you all from Alan currently living in Florida US of A.
I am seeking input from those of you "in-the-know" about life in Mexico.  My interests are becoming a resident eventually owning property in the higher elevations away from the tropical heat.  Wanting to be near a lake or river system.  I would like to find property that is an existing small Bed and Breakfast Inn or can be converted.
Any one who can assist me in gaining knowledge will be most appreciated.  The time frame is yet to be determined but will hopefully occur in the next 1 - 2 years.
Gracias!
Alan

Given that you have a fairly long time frame, Alan, you should spend some time going through the forum posts. That should give you a pretty good general picture

I think many topics have been gone through in detail. After looking through the posts you should have more specific questions.

Buena Suerte

Hello Catherine,  I live in Los Cabos Baja Sur and have traveled the Baja Peninsula many times.  San Felipe is a great location only in the winter, large American community and most of all vendors understand some English. Since San Felipe is located on the coast of the Gulf during the summer is very hot due to the lack of breeze so expect to pay a lot in the air conditioning.  It would be wise to consider to find out a location into the mountainside on the road to Rosarito, it is a winery area and more fresh since it will have the cool air from the Pacific Ocean. Another opportunity to check out this area, (if you are planning to buy a lot to build) is that prices are more affordable, compared to the coastal line that has been increasing in price and water supply is an issue. But if you are planning to rent only the season in San Felipe is good to be close to downtown were the fun is, but not to close that it would be noisy.  If you are considering this spot for the closeness to SD it would be wise to double check the time it takes you to cross the border and the expenses in gasoline and per diem compared to an airplane ticket from La Paz or Loreto. Hope this information is helpful. Looking forward to knowing more about your Baja adventures.

best

Ari

Hi
I lived in Guadalajara, I had been working like a driver and local guide for expats.
Be glad to help you if you need information about Tlaquepaque, Chapala, Ajijic, Guadalajara, Tequila, Tonala.
best wishes amigos

Hello everyone! Not sure where to start so I'll just jump in. (jejeje) Everyone can call me Deb or Debo (mi apodo en español...jeje)... I'm a USC and my husband is a Mexican Citizen. We've been married for 13 years. We have a 4-legged baby named Meeko. My Mother is "White" (European roots) and my Dad was Native (Mescalero Apache and Cherokee) and Irish. Grew up speaking English, Spanish and some Mescalero and Tsalagi (fluent in English and Spanish). We previously lived in Mexico, but only for about 10 months when my mother-in-law passed away in a car related accident. We've been back in the US since the end of 2008. Anyway, due to various reasons we've decided to return Mexico permanently. Currently we're in the process of building our home on our property there and look to make our move in 23 months (yes, I'm counting....lol!) We both can't wait to get back home. 23 months can't pass fast enough. ;)
In the meantime we're just making sure we plan everything out to make sure we don't forget anything.... Making sure our i's are dotted and t's are crossed.
We're only taking ourselves, Meeko and our suitcases of clothes and some boxes of our pics/paintings and important papers and a few odds and ends that will fit in the boxes. Other than that we're buying everything new. Also we're going to sell our vehicle here and just buy a car once we get back home to MX (we just don't want to deal with the headache of the whole vehicle thing...lol!)

I guess that's pretty much it. Anyway, glad to be here and I'm sure I'll have questions along the way. <3

Hello, I'm John. I've  recently moved here from the US. Moved here because I wanted to get back to my roots. I was born in Mexico, but when my mother crossed the boarder with me as a toddler and died of heat exposure, I was put into a foster home. Quickly adopted by a great family, I never knew of my heritage till about 6 months ago. Through a weird turn of events, I decided to flush my old life down the tubes, move here and start over.
My money is about out and I haven't been able to  find employment that pays under the table. I want to stay off the grid. In the states I had many different job fields: customer service rep (call center), fast food cashier, grocery store cashier, delivery driver (pizza & Business supplies), manufacturing jobs (soldering & cable assembly), and office jobs. I easily get along with people, my passion is getting people what they want, however they want it.
If you have any job ideas or tips, I'd greatly appreciate. Good day.

Hi Everyone (Hola),

I am possibly moving to Mazlatan to work. I have no idea how the visa situation works at the moment. For anyone that has lived or travelled to Mazlatan, how safe did you feel there? I want to learn more Spanish and look forward to learning more about life in Maz from anyone in the know. Thanks!
I was looking at renting a 1 bedroom apt and curious to how much they would be?

MissJo wrote:

Hi Everyone (Hola),

I am possibly moving to Mazlatan to work. I have no idea how the visa situation works at the moment. For anyone that has lived or travelled to Mazlatan, how safe did you feel there? I want to learn more Spanish and look forward to learning more about life in Maz from anyone in the know. Thanks!
I was looking at renting a 1 bedroom apt and curious to how much they would be?

Hello Missjo,

I have traveled through Mazatlan many times and never felt unsafe. As for the visa question if you are being sent to work here your employer will be very involved with that I am told, so you might start at HR. this may also help you https://www.mexperience.com/lifestyle/l … migration/
You can look at the top of the page on this site ( housing) for ideas about rentals.

My best advice about Spanish is duolingo, google translate and hours of practice. Other "Spanish" courses and apps, in my opinion, are beyond ridiculously expensive, these apps are free.

buena Suerte

^Thank you very much, travellight! I currently use duolingo and it is very helpful. I am hoping to take private lessons soon as well.

Do you or anyone know what a decent salary is to live in Mexico on a monthly basis? I realize that it depends on the lifestyle, but I read that $1000 US a month should be doable. Any thoughts? Thanks

Hi There,
Hubby and I have our business at home for sale and plan to move to Mexico when it does.  We have spent extensive time in Mexico over the last 12 years or so, as such we are familiar with the lifestyle and the aches & pains of getting used to another culture.  We are currently in Bacalar for a couple of weeks "trying it out".  We love it here and have decided this will be the location to move.  We plan to rent the first 6 to 8 months before buying - and if our business dosn't sell this summer we will be renting for 6 months in November, in any event. (Our business is seasonal).  We've asked around a bit and have been told that long term rentals in Bacalar are difficult to find. It is a small town, and perhaps people can make more money off airbnb maybe?  If anyone on here is from the Bacalar area or has experience here, I'd love to connect.

Hi,
From the high country of AZ looking for beach time on the pacific coast.  My wife, Brenda, and I (I'm Phil) are soon to begin our search for a community where we can spend several months a year.  I'm a retired physician and she is a retired elementary school teacher.  We plan to travel to the area north of Puerto Vallarta as our first step.  We're looking for a smaller community where we can fit in, mix with locals and expats, not too close to resorts, on or very close to the ocean.  We would appreciate any information about communities in that area.  Thank you.

Currently in Guadalajara, here to discover.

Hi!
My name is Karina Ritmeester, originally from the Netherlands, but living in Merida for almost 4 years now! I love Yucatan, the people are so friendly, and the weather is lovely! Well, most of the time..
Now I'm looking for a job to keep myself busy. Up for anything!

Hello everybody,
I am Will Ritmeester, originally from Holland and living in Mérida, México since April 2015.
The reason i joined Expat.com is that I worked for a Dutch company as an advisor to build a factory in México and at the moment my job is done. I can enjoy life, but I miss the excitement of long hard working days, so I hope to get in contact with people or businesses who can provide me of an interesting job. (My resume is also visible on this page) in México as well in the USA.

Hola a todos!
I'm Valeria from Argentina. My husband got a job offer from the same company he works for here but in Mexico. If everything goes well during our interview at the embassy here in Buenos Aires we should be good to go. We would be moving to Querétaro.
We have experience traveling around the world because of my husband's job but this would be our first expatriation and it's really scary. I would love to talk to people who are already living in Querétaro since I have so many questions.
I can speak both English and Spanish.

Given that you speak both English and Spanish you should do very well adjusting Valeria,

I'm in a different situation. I am US citizen working in Panama. With out going into details. I got a job here in hopes to work on retiring here. After 6 months I decided it's way too expensive. The beaches are so so and far from airports. It's a beautiful country, but I'm alone so got to figure it out . So the questions are: can i bring my Pty car to Mexico ? Do I have to back to Fl to get my visa to  Mexico ? I know I'll have to go to the Mexican embassy due to my status here, but just trying to figure out my things and my car.  I'm going to try to get similar job in Mexico. That would be a miracle  - but just being here in Pty is a miracle so. I'll try.  The car is 2012 4wd low miles why I'd want to keep it

Hola,  My wife and I presently live in Bellingham,Wa.
We have vacationed in Mexico a few times. Both on the Caribbean and most recently on the Pacific. Zihuatanejo, Wow! What a wonderful location,people and food. We have friends that are spending 5 to 6 months. For the first time my wife and I have considered retirement in Mexico. Guanojuato seems very appealing as well as San miguel de allende.
Looking at putting a 3 to 4 year plan.
My question is. What kind of lifestyle could you have
With $3000 us a month for a couple. The friends in zihuatanejo are spending much more.
Plan to visit guanoguato and San miguel de allende hopefully in November.
Any Ideas on preparing 3 years before the move will be greatly appreciated.  Gracias, Anthony

razworld wrote:

Hola,  My wife and I presently live in Bellingham,Wa.
We have vacationed in Mexico a few times. Both on the Caribbean and most recently on the Pacific. Zihuatanejo, Wow! What a wonderful location,people and food. We have friends that are spending 5 to 6 months. For the first time my wife and I have considered retirement in Mexico. Guanojuato seems very appealing as well as San miguel de allende.
Looking at putting a 3 to 4 year plan.
My question is. What kind of lifestyle could you have
With $3000 us a month for a couple. The friends in zihuatanejo are spending much more.
Plan to visit guanoguato and San miguel de allende hopefully in November.
Any Ideas on preparing 3 years before the move will be greatly appreciated.  Gracias, Anthony

Well raz,

If you are looking at a four-year time frame. I would suggest you sit down and make a list of what is important.  Have conversations about what each of you wants. If money is one of those things on your list, you might want to schedule a bunch of visits to numerous places. When you visit SMA be sure to schedule other places nearby. That is not a cheap area.

How do you feel about temperatures? Are the beaches important etc? It's a fact-finding adventure, enjoy.

STAY AWAY FROM CANCUN, VERA CRUZ.  CARTELS CONTROL EVERTYHING IN THISE LOCATIONS

ALSO GET THE HIT LIST THE STATE DEPT PUTS OUT AS TO THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACES IN MEX AND AVOID THEM

grapenut wrote:

STAY AWAY FROM CANCUN, VERA CRUZ.  CARTELS CONTROL EVERTYHING IN THISE LOCATIONS

Please don't post in caps lock :)

Thank you, Can you suggest other locations?

Closed