€2,222 is enough to live in Enchede?

Hi to everyone!

I'm considering to move with my husband to Enchede. He'll work in Twente University. We are Brazilians, with 24-25 years-old, he's master in mechanical engineering (he to the Twente to get his PhD), and I'm an architect. Can we sustein us with €2,222 at month? I mean... pay the rent (a small good pet-friedly appartment), the bills, the transportation, some leisure, food...

PS: Is to hard for me to get a job? As waitress, babysitting, receptionist...

I'm really concerned, if you guys may help me I appreciate. :heart:

Thankss

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of the page is a link to our "Discover" section, within which is our "Netherlands Guide", I'd recommend you read those as a start to planning your journey.

I know Enschede very well, my wife is from there and we lived there before we moved to the UK with my job; our daughter lives there now.  To be honest, it's not a big wage; Dutch minimum wage is €1,600 p/month and if that is before tax, it is not much at all and I would question the reason for moving at all from Brazil.  That said, some Dutch families live on less, so it must be possible for you to do it, just don't expect a lifestyle in the fast-lane and exotic holidays.  The campus is on the main road between Enschede and Hengelo and is served by frequent bus and train services, so commuting will be quite easy from the less expensive parts of the towns.

As for you working, do you speak Dutch?  If not, then it gets harder to get any work, so if you are determined to move, then start learning the language now, very few people (except Brazilians) will speak your language.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Cynic
Expat Team

Is that after tax? I.e. net income in your pocket.

I am going to assume it's after tax because if it is before tax then life will be very tough. If it is after tax I'm afraid you will still be living almost paycheck to paycheck.

Budget 150 Euros a month for utilities, at very least 200/month on food, 150-200/month on health insurance.

Hi again.

I forgot to add; the Numbeo website provides information about lots of things, among which are the costs of living; this link will take you to their website.  The data is slightly behind the curve, so you'll need to add a bit to reflect today's costs.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team