Work permit or not?

Hi,

Imagine you want to work online as an engineer, e.g., freelancing for companies outside Panama, and charging for your work using your own company which is also outside Panama. So, everything is happening online between companies that are outside Panama. But you work in Panama, physically. Do you need a work permit for that ? Also, even if you get a work permit, I understand that you cannot work as an engineer because this job (like many others) is restricted to Panamanians. Then you are stuck ?

Thanks for any reliable insight you could provide on such a technical question. (I made research online and there are different opinions on the matter; I might need to consult a lawyer...)

No you don't need a work permit. Any work done online or remotely does not require a work permit and it also tax free in Panama.

The only thing you will need is a good solution to remain in Panama. Most will go through the Pensionado program or the Friendly nations program. The friendly nations is the best choice because it gives you permanent residency, you can apply for a work permit if you need, and in 5 years of holding permanent residency you can apply for citizenship.

Please contact me anytime if you need help with any of these programs.
Have a great day!

Here's my advice.  Don't consult a lawyer, complete waste of money.   All are thieves and 98% are incompetent.  A work permit is a thrown out $500.   Go ahead and do what you are planning to do.  Everyone cheats in Panama.   Only the poorest workers wind up paying any taxes, and then you have the former president stealing all the tax money from the entire country.  When Martinelli pays back the billion he stole, then you can worry about it.