Opening a bank account

Greetings. I am currently living in the United Kingdom but am wishing to live in Portugal either for part of the year (3-6 months per year) or to relocate completely. Is it possible to open a Portuguese bank account while still living in the UK? I understand that to open an account requires an NIF number and that to obtain an NIF number you need an address in Portugal. Would a B&B or hotel address suffice or is a permanent residential address required? Any advice would be welcome.

You do not need an address in Portugal for the NIF. You do need a physical permanent address and proof of that address.

Many thanks .... that is really useful to know.

As far as I know, you can't get a NIF# (Numero de identificação fiscal - fiscal number identification) without a permanent residence card (SEF card for foreigns). If you could, we would have a huge problem with illegal immigration. But fortunately in Portugal if there is a will there is a way :) Some banks can print an “internal NIF#” and allow you to open a bank account. Santander used to do that. Worst case, get a lawyer and she will be able to be your “co-sponsor” and obtain you a NIF# at Finances. If you need a lawyer send me PM and I will give you the contact of mine. I don't know in UK, but lawyers are NOt expensive here. Cheers!

Bom dia, I guess it depends on whether you are a EU citizen or not.
Being EU we got our NIF without a portuguese address and could easily buy a house, open an account, etc. 

Note that as we took the time to learn Portuguese before coming (and we're still taking free classes here) we did everything without any assistant, and as an expat I must say that this is the only way to feel at home  ;)

Breakfast quote from Saramago."A viagem nunca acaba, mas os viajantes, ou seja, nós, sim."
Have a good day.

We just returned from our prepping for the Visa trip to Portugal. We were able to get a NIF without a Portuguese permanent address. It does require that you have a fiscal guarantor. We used our expeditor to go with us and sign. With that we were able to open our bank account no problem. Our expeditor cost us 150 E each. She took us to get our NIF and open a bank account. She for that price is also steering us through the maze of getting our Visa. Once you have a permanent address in Portugal you will need to change your address on your NIF. There are certain things that a NIF without a Portuguese address can't do we found. For example, when I was trying to sign online, a privacy form for my health insurance application, I was told my NIF was invalid. Turns out because we hadn't changed it to our Portuguese address.

Many thanks to everyone who responded. As a UK citizen I am still an EU citizen - at least for the timebeing! I will be holidaying in Porto for a short while during March. I hope to be able to arrange to obtain an NIF at that time. There are two questions to help with that:
1) which Government tax office do I need to visit to obtain an NIF in Porto?
2) would a photo ID driving license with my address suffice for proof of residence address?

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi MarkWR,

the office is the Serviço de Finanças - in Porto there are 5 locations,  opening hours 09.00  to 3.30 pm

just FYI: Serviço de Finanças Porto Office 1 is in Rua de Pinto Bessa, 606, you'll need to pick a ticket to apply for NIF (Obtenção do número de contribuinte) and I would suggest your identity card plus some evidence of residence (for example the latest utility bills, this is what they normally consider conclusive evidence)

Here is a link to the SF in English providing an overview of the Portuguese Tax System and useful forms  (this is an official site) http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt … ystem.aspx
Hope it helps.

I have just completed Tax Registration, Residency
Permit, opened bank account and enrolled in NHR within the past few days. All surprisingly straightforward.
Once I had the residency and tax certification, bank accepted my passport and evidence of receipt of my pension to allow me to open an account.
Happy to advise further.

You can open a Bank account in Portugal using the figure of a Fiscal representative based in Portugal who agrees to act on your behalf.
( see -> https://www.expatica.com/pt/about/gov-l … l-1092052/ )

Thats how non-europeans and non-resident open Bank Accounts and incorporate LLC etc

I could give you some examples from politicans from Angola and Brazil, but lets take the creator of Paypal & Tesla, that has a LLC in portugal - https://www.racius.com/tesla-portugal-s … ssoal-lda/ - and if you search the adress you will get a lawyer office - https://www.abreuadvogados.com/oe_detail.php?aID=58

Hi All,

Can I ask what is the procedure to open a bank account in Portugal when you are overseas without a physical address in Portugal?

Can you help to point me to the bank that will do it with me remotely.

I am living in Singapore and am applying for the resident visa, they have asks me for a bank account in Portugal and I have tried applying with some banks like activo, millennium bcp and novo banco. They have all said that I cannot do it without a physical address or a resident card.

I do have a Nif which I have recently applied.

Thank you for your help.

Philip Goh

If you already have the NIF, it is because you have already given a PoA  (Power of Attorney / "Procuração") to someone to be your legal representative in Portugal. Can't he also open a Portuguese bank account on your behalf?

NON-EU CITIZENS will need the following to open and use your account:
- Passport
- Proof of home address in country of origin
- A NIF (Número de Identificação Fiscal) / Tax Card (Fiscal Number)
- Proof of profession/contract of employment and company details / Proof of income or similar that states your profession or job title
- Proof of your Fiscal Representative (usually a portuguese firm of lawyers)
- A phone number capable of receiving SMS

Hi Johnny,

Yes I have a fiscal rep but she only directed me to Abanca and to date, I have not received any reply other than the client creation form. My fiscal rep says that is the only bank she can point me to. I have an upcoming appointment for my D7 submission and I really am worried that if I don't have any account, I would be denied of my application for the D7.

I am hoping to see if there are any other way to do it because I read in the forum and other articles that a foreigner can open an account with the documents you mention above. I have allt hat documents but I don't know which bank to approach. The 3 banks I have approach have rejected me. Santander, millennium bcp and activo.

Please if you can, guide me to a bank that can accept a foreigner to open an account FROM Singapore who already have a NIF but no Portuguese address and not yet having a citizen card.

Thank you so much.

Philip

As far as I'm aware, this is the only bank I know of in Portugal which lets you open the account overseas by video call:

https://www.atlantico.eu/

I have no affiliation with this bank, my accounts are in other Portuguese banks, and I haven't tried setting up an account with them.

But yes, you do need to open a bank account in Portugal and fund it for the residence visa, so it's worth trying this route.

Good luck!

Hi Philip,
Sorry but I don't understand your situation. A tax representative with PoA can open an account on your behalf in any bank, and not only at Abanca bank...

The person you are referring probably is someone that you know and is living in Portugal but does not have a PoA signed by you, is that so?

I've found 3 solutions:
(1) Get a tax representative to open a portuguese bank account on your behalf. It can be a lawyers firm (Google tip: "NHR lawyer Portugal")  based in Portugal or someone who is resident in Portugal but must have a PoA signed by you, passed by a notary.

(2) The bank suggested by Gailatlarge can be an option.
Banco Atlantico Europa has an online account opening. The process can be done in 20 minutes, anywhere in the world, from the smartphone and/or by video call. Therefore, the account opening can be done in your home country, before you arrive in Portugal. This account also has no maintenance fees.

(3) When you arrive in Portugal to get your Visa, come early and open your bank account in Portugal, as a non resident with all required documents in your hands. It can be a bit risky if is missing any document required ...

-------

If you try (2) it may be cheaper than (1).

You can also do (2) and when you arrive in Portugal, before going to SEF, try to open another bank account in any bank you like (3), and then, if you want, close the account (2).
Option (2) is a secure option and close this account has no comissions, as can be seen in the pricing list bellow.

-------

Atlantico Europa is a bank based in Lisbon but belongs to the financial group Well Link Group Holdings Limited of Hong Kong. This Bank is regulated by Bank of Portugal.

It was the first bank in Portugal to allow the opening of an account by video call. But it only has one branch in Lisbon... It's a online bank.

Online account opening:
https://www.atlantico.eu/particulares/contas

The account opening procedure has authentication messages by email.

Pricing list/commissions:
https://www.atlantico.eu/precario

Required documents to open this account:
- Passport, citizen card or residence permit;
- Portuguese Tax Identification Number (NIF);
- Proof of residence (any document in your name issued in the last 3 months, such as a utility bill, eg, water bill, thus certifying your address abroad);
- Proof of income (when applicable).

Dear Johnny,

Thank you very much for the detailed information. I will try to open the account with that bank which Gaitatlarge mentioned.

Phil

Dear Gaitatlarge,

Thank you for the information and pointing me to the bank that does it! I'll try to open it with this bank.

Philip

I am considering application for D 7, but of all the necessary documents required by VFS, there is no requirement that a bank account should be opened and NIE obtained. So where is it specified, would you mind tell me? Many thanks.

Hi Natalie,
Already answered here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 39#4982146

Hello,

Thank you very much for all your precious informations.

i am residing in Algeria and when i try to open online bank account i complete sucessfull every step but finally they do not accepte video call activation for my country (ALGERIA)

any ideas about another alternative for this mailbox sending documents ? Authenticated or not in Embassy and which documents required ?

https://i.ibb.co/0tShbJr/Microsoft-Teams-image-6.jpg

Thanks per advance for your help

Hello Dzint, Welcome.
Try this online bank but I'm not sure if you can get it from your country ....

https://www.big.pt/

At least, I've found the prefix of Algeria in the field of phone/mobile contacts ... (+213) DZ

in this webpage:

https://www.big.pt/AbrirConta/AberturaD … source=WEB

You can also use this email to ask any questions:  [email protected]

Best regards

Hi, Only now is your printscreen available here...You are likely to have the same issue no matter which bank you choose.

As they do not accept video call from Algeria (a condition required by Banco de Portugal, when the holder is not in person in the bank in the opening account process), you must first recognise your signature/identity. The recognition of signatures (reconhecimento de assinatura dos titulares da conta) is done by a notary or by other entities legally qualified for this purpose (such as lawyers and solicitors).

Please, you can also find out more about this at the Portuguese Embassy in Algiers:

https://portaldascomunidades.mne.gov.pt … ca/argelia

What is an "expeditor" and how do I find one?

Hello,

I am interested in applying for a D7 visa, and am wondering if anyone can clarify the following points. I have been in contact with a solicitor but the quote I received for the services mentioned appeared to be rather high and some ambiguity appeared to exists. Hence this enquiry.

1) I am a NON EU citizen.

2) I was informed that I would first have to apply, in my local jurisdiction, for a Special Residence visa, prior to visiting Portugal.

I found this strange as I do not require a visa to enter Portugal, for 90 days, under Schengen rule for NON EU citizens.

3) According to the solicitor I could during my stay  apply for the following documents etc,

a) Obtain Portuguese Tax Number NIF.
b) Open a bank account.
c) Secure proof of long  term accommodation, ie sign a lease.
d) Apply for Health Insurance, in Portugal.

Having obtained these documents I would then be required to return to my place of usual residence and submit the above mentioned documents, personally, to the local Portuguese consulate, in conjunction with the following documents.

e) Passport.
f) Criminal record certificate.
g) Proof of Income.
h) Health insurance policy, valid in Portugal.

Following submission of the above documents a-h, I would then be able to return to Portugal  and apply for Residence in Portugal, but would have to wait 5 years before I can apply for permanent residency, a fee of 1000 € being imposed for each annual renewal.

I would appreciate hearing if the above is the procedure experienced by other NON E U residents when applying for the D7 visa.

One final clarification I am seeking relates to Health Insurance. I have been informed that until I qualify to become a permanent résidant, of Portugal, that I will not qualify for the state run health care scheme, fair enough, but again some ambiguity appeared to exist in regards to what I was informed, by the solicitor.

I was informed that until I become a resident of Portugal AND am able to join the public health system that I «  Must be covered by an INTERNATIONALLY recognised private health care policy for the duration of my legal residency «  ie 5 years until I qualify for permanent residency and that such a policy CANNOT be purchased in Portugal but must be valid upon entry.

Obviously the cost of health insurance varies with the individual but knowledge of the procedure other encountered and if they were able to purchase the required health insurance policy upon arrival, IN Portugal, would be useful, PREFERABLY with suggestions of companies I could contact in order to obtain a quote.

Sorry for the length of this notice, but comments appreciated

Adam

Hi Adam,

Answers below:

2) I was informed that I would first have to apply, in my local jurisdiction, for a Special Residence visa, prior to visiting Portugal. I found this strange as I do not require a visa to enter Portugal, for 90 days, under Schengen rule for NON EU citizens.

You are right because you are a Citizen of Australia.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t … dex_en.htm

3) According to the solicitor I could during my stay apply for the following documents etc,

a) Obtain Portuguese Tax Number NIF.
b) Open a bank account.
c) Secure proof of long  term accommodation, ie sign a lease.
d) Apply for Health Insurance, in Portugal.

That's right. You can do all this by yourself, or with the help of a solicitor. English is easily understood in banks, insurance companies and AT Portuguese Tax Authority. In rentals you can always have the assistance of your real estate agent.

Having obtained these documents I would then be required to return to my place of usual residence and submit the above mentioned documents, personally, to the local Portuguese consulate, in conjunction with the following documents.

e) Passport.
f) Criminal record certificate.
g) Proof of Income.
h) Health insurance policy, valid in Portugal.

That' s right. Visas should be requested at the Portuguese consulates in your country of residence.

https://portaldascomunidades.mne.gov.pt … /australia

But you can/must (?) use this eVisa platform:
https://pedidodevistos.mne.pt/VistosOnline/
After authentication, the menu will allow you to submit your visa application.
I put must(?) because I have checked in Vfsglobal platform and it is not possible to apply there for visa from Australia to Portugal...

Following submission of the above documents a-h, I would then be able to return to Portugal and apply for Residence in Portugal,

That' s right. This will be the 2nd. stage of the visa application, with the SEF interview in Portugal.

but would have to wait 5 years before I can apply for permanent residency, a fee of 1000 € being imposed for each annual renewal.

That' s right about the permanent residency.
https://eportugal.gov.pt/servicos/pedir … permanente

This fee makes no sense. Residency renewal fees (table IV) are in Fee's PDF in this link:
https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/impressos/https://eportugal.gov.pt/noticias/novo- … residencia

I would appreciate hearing if the above is the procedure experienced by other NON E U residents when applying for the D7 visa.

One final clarification I am seeking relates to Health Insurance. I have been informed that until I qualify to become a permanent résidant, of Portugal, that I will not qualify for the state run health care scheme, fair enough, but again some ambiguity appeared to exist in regards to what I was informed, by the solicitor.

I was informed that until I become a resident of Portugal AND am able to join the public health system that I «  Must be covered by an INTERNATIONALLY recognised private health care policy for the duration of my legal residency «  ie 5 years until I qualify for permanent residency and that such a policy CANNOT be purchased in Portugal but must be valid upon entry.

Obviously the cost of health insurance varies with the individual but knowledge of the procedure other encountered and if they were able to purchase the required health insurance policy upon arrival, IN Portugal, would be useful, PREFERABLY with suggestions of companies I could contact in order to obtain a quote.

The answer to all of this is here:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 42#5168245
(Post #9)

Kind Regards

Good morning JonnyPT,

Many thanks for the responses you gave to my questions.

I have checked the link you mentioned, regarding fees for renewal of the residence permit, and although I was only able to view a Portuguese version I take your point. The quote I have been provided with sounds excessive.

In regards to obtaining the necessary visas it appears that is the stumbling block, given Australia has effectively reverted back to its original purpose, an antipodean prison, to exit requires government permission, difficult to obtain, and it is even more difficult to return, (airfares can be astronomical, and passengers are frequently bumped off fights at the last minute ) due  to government restrictions on the number of people permitted to enter,

I did try to access the web link you suggested regarding applying for the visa, in order to submit items a-h, I was curious to see how far I could proceed in order to see if it was likely to function but was unable to proceed as it required a password etc and despite my trying to register it would not let me do so.

It therefore appears the only alternative is for me to wait, and hope, some sort of normality occurs and we are permitted to travel again.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions,

Best wishes

Adam