Fiscal considerations for retirees trying to life in Brasil

I've got questions ..

1. Does anyone in here know a bank branch within Rio were i can find some clerk that speaks English??
2. Is anyone in here a retiree from abroad and knows whether pensions are taxed here in Brasil / Rio??
3. There is a large tax (i think like 20% or so) applied to international money transfers in any foreign currency here in BR. How does this work if i can manage to transfer he money already exchanged into BRL before it get's to Brasil, still getting taxed?
Banks in Europe do not handle BRL at all so i will need to use one of these online money transfer systems.
What is the most recommendable money transfer website / service for Brasil?
P.S. i have permanent residency creds for Brasil.

If I can find English speaking banker here (and I did) they should be in a lot of Rio banks.
HSBC has money sending. There is a charge.
As to taxes, check as to a treaty with Brasil. US pensions not taxes here in Brasil, just in US.

Texanbrazil wrote:

If I can find English speaking banker here (and I did) they should be in a lot of Rio banks.
HSBC has money sending. There is a charge.
As to taxes, check as to a treaty with Brasil. US pensions not taxes here in Brasil, just in US.

HSBC does no longer operate in Brazil as far as i know,  is it Badesco you mean??
At what bank / branch did you find such an EN speaking banker, Centro or Leblon or so??
Tax treaties, yes, there is also one between Switzerland and Brazil - or is there, was there will there ever be??
https://www.efd.admin.ch/efd/en/home/do … 70663.html
.. still to be signed, no newer news since May 2018, lovely, but at least there is an email address i can contact....

Will try and give some options, had HSBC, but they changed to Bradesco, in NYC in the Brazilian neighborhoods there are transfer stores that charge a few points on what the dollar is at the time, relatively cheap, gets into the account in 2 or 3 days. Rarely use it because I'm here. To transfer for free from your bank to any bank you need to have some ridiculous amount of money in that bank. I have Santander, Citi and HSBC, in NY. Citibank is to far from me to use the branch atm, Santander is everywhere but still more expensive then Citibank in the banco 24 hour machines. Cost me 20 dollars to their thousand with Citi, 30 dollars with Santander and HSBC absurd about 40. I use Citibank in the banco 24 hour machines. If you need emergency money you can go to your branch and get 5 thousand a day. I have my accounts linked and simply transfer online and withdraw from the banco 24 hours. In 9 years had only one problem where the money didn't come out and they charged the account, but I called and denied the transaction and they stopped payment no funds list.

That stuff, using an ATM and not getting any money out but the amount was charged to the card anyway happened to me 3 times, each time with ITAU, since than i avoided that bank like the plague.
I use Bradesco ATM's only now.
But, i would like to perhaps get one of these online only bank accounts were there is no minimum amount required and no charges for nothing, just like i have it in Germany.
Any idea how they operate or which one could be considered stable and reliable (it is almost impossible to get any direct contact to either i found online, especially since i don't speak Portuguese.
How to transfer money from abroad into a Brazilian bank account WITHOUT having to pay humongous taxes on foreign currency exchange rates i also still haven't figured out...

Don't know anything about online banking, I use Citibank in the banco 24 hour machines that are everywhere. To send large money under 9 thousand no questions asked to a Brazilian bank account use the Brazillian transfer stores in the states, fees are not expensive.

Neon offers a limited number of transactions free of charge. Intermedium offers unlimited free transactions, which include deposits, withdrawals, bank-to-bank transfers and external payments.
Brasil law passed in 2016 allows for online banks.
When checking such 2 years ago there was a lack of customer service. Do not know what gone on since

I've got questions ..

1. Does anyone in here know a bank branch within Rio were i can find some clerk that speaks English??
2. Is anyone in here a retiree from abroad and knows whether pensions are taxed here in Brasil / Rio??
3. There is a large tax (i think like 20% or so) applied to international money transfers in any foreign currency here in BR. How does this work if i can manage to transfer he money already exchanged into BRL before it get's to Brasil, still getting taxed?
Banks in Europe do not handle BRL at all so i will need to use one of these online money transfer systems.
What is the most recommendable money transfer website / service for Brasil?
P.S. i have permanent residency creds for Brasil.
-@useroo

1.None I am aware of. Banking workers here don't advertise themselves to solicit your business .  Proverbial needle on the haystack.

2.You need to get your accountant to find what is the poverty threshold.  To my knowledge, you are tax exempt under  the R$ 2,000 per month gross income. 

3.Just your standard wire transfer fees should apply.

If you have money tied abroad, it would be wise to keep it there, if all possible.  Get a tax shelter with monthly distributions to meet your expenses in Brazil.  And Live here frugaly.

From what I experienced the monthly tax exemption is R$0-1904         0%

@seinfo3

Lula's new Tax plan will bump it to a little past R$ 2,000  ( whoopie ti doo ti doo ) .   Your numbers are correct for now, thought.