Philippines next stop to see what it is like.

This trip to Thailand I have decided to go to the Philippines for a 4 week break.
I had a Filipino g/f for 3 years here in Thailand and she was like a breath of fresh air. Intelligent, spoke great English, taught English here in Thailand, and worldly wise.
This has prompted me to want to visit the Philippines and compare it to Thailand.

Many of my friends here in Thailand have been to the Philippines. All have different stories to tell, both good and bad, and I decided it is time to check it out for myself.

In about 18 months I will be retired. That means one last 3 month trip to here before retirement. I will use that to visit either Vietnam or Cambodia  to judge for myself what I think of those places too.

I know what I am looking for and have a good idea what I want from the future. But undecided where I can fulfill my needs / desires.

Any input from those who have visited the Philippines or from Filipinos themselves would be great.

Places you have been, food, bars. transport, the locals. Anything would be of interest.

Phillipines is so under developped that I think it is not safe for aging people...

i have been to the Philippines 4 times so far. I have enjoyed my stay there everytime. Like the OP I plan to spend a month there after my tourist visa is done, filing for another SETV (single entry tourist visa) at the Thai Embassy in Manila for my return stay in LOS. A big draw for me is visiting the areas less traveled by tourist. My suggestion, do some research on the areas you would like to visit and pass your own judgement.

I don't think age has much to do with it.
If someone is infirm then I can understand the need for development.

Consider Pattaya. Except for the pavement on beach road people walk on the road. Old and young people.

If we all stopped traveling to new places because we are above a certain age then we might as well stay at home and become couch potatoes, but some of us have more adventure in pour hearts.

Enjoy your life, I don't care, but nobody aging but with still half a brain would like to live in PI.

themorn2112 wrote:

i have been to the Philippines 4 times so far. I have enjoyed my stay there everytime. Like the OP I plan to spend a month there after my tourist visa is done, filing for another SETV (single entry tourist visa) at the Thai Embassy in Manila for my return stay in LOS. A big draw for me is visiting the areas less traveled by tourist. My suggestion, do some research on the areas you would like to visit and pass your own judgement.

Unless you happen to be the Indiana Jones type, then visiting remote areas of the P.I., less travelled by tourist (anymore), is akin to spinning the "Roulette Wheel".

If you are not travelling, together with a Filipina, especially one who actually comes from any remote area of your consideration, then I strongly recommend you give that excursion-plan further deliberative research. Philippine Immigration would be a good starting point..:cool:

jana611 wrote:
themorn2112 wrote:

Unless you happen to be the Indiana Jones type, then visiting remote areas of the P.I., less travelled by tourist (anymore), is akin to spinning the "Roulette Wheel".

If you are not travelling, together with a Filipina, especially one who actually comes from any remote area of your consideration, then I strongly recommend you give that excursion-plan further deliberative research. Philippine Immigration would be a good starting point..:cool:

thank you for your suggestion. I have been to the Philippines several time, even going so far as to visiting Mindanao. I do have some insight as I have friends I served with in my military days who act as my host, as well as going on some excursions on my own. Having a healthy respect for the locals as well as some training in tropical environs have been a great help to me. Life is a Roulette Wheel, so I will live it to the fullest by exploring the world around me with caution and respect.

enjoy your upcoming retirement...i now live in thailand, only been to phillipines once..
i have no real desire to go back there...
english is more widely spoken...other than that, i cant think of anything that is better than thailand...
Boracay was the nicest beach that i saw..
i didnt feel safe in manilla or makate...too many guns-too much poverty...

"Boracay was the nicest beach that i saw"

You have seen a lot !

5555+

For me the Philippines is also a personal pilgrimage. I make it a point to go to the shrine at Corregidor. As a veteran myself it is my duty to pay my respects to the dead. Alternately, I got a real kick out of going inside the cross at Bataan and viewing the area where the battle was fought and lost at Corregidor. For some people going to an "underdeveloped" country is a welcome departure. If I want to see a Mall,  I can see one in my country of origin. One thing I found out is that no matter where I go, the malls are all the same. Developments are all the same. For some (count me amongst the group). touring a place that is still being developed is a welcome departure from the "antiseptic" sameness of a developed culture.
     You get many perspectives on different countries and experiences. Bottom line, go and visit for yourself and draw your own conclusions.