New in town

Hi to all,
Landed late September 2018 to Panama City . So far loving it , plan is to finish working in 3/5 yrs and retire and make Panama “home”   I was lucky to get a job - and postponed retirement for a bit longer while I explore.  I left my vehicle. Gave it to family and now trying to see what's my best option to buy a good used car and from where or whom . I'll take any tips or experiences.  Back home there were meet up clubs you joined on line and met in groups to do things -
Any such thing?  Obviously I'm in the older crowd so need to find the right avenue. 
Left family in the states, and now on to my new adventure 😊

Your story a bit like mine. I retired early and got rid of all belongs. Down to 3 suitcases and went to panama for 5 months all alone. Had to come back before I wanted to due to family emergency. Trying to get back and stay permanently as panama is incredible. But are you sure you want to drive there? Traffic in panama city and David is insane!

Hi. Hope all is ok at home. I live close to my job but not that close to walk or ride a bike.  Sons said NO  To a scooter or motorcycle here.  Way it rains and people drive -  I agree!  I just went to ElValle and think I want to check out Chorrea. Not PTY but close enough to the city if need to come in.  Experts say. Rent and move around to diffrent areas. Might be a plan but for now I do 8/5 weekdays at work and will start stashing money for retirement. 
I live in the cuidad de saber- just starting to get out to explore.

I've been hopping around Panama the last few weeks. If you need to be within reachable distance of the city, I can definately recommend Coronado. It's a gated suburb, lots of expats. Taxi to PTY is $60 one way, and usually takes about 90 min. If you need to make sure you're on time for a meeting or a flight, just go the previous afternoon.

I'd also advise to rent at 1st. Just make sure the property has access to borehole water, and you have a few gallons of drink water  as continuous water supply seems to be an issue in some areas.

For transport you only need a golf cart,  and for bug shopping use a local taxi for $2 or 3.

Even the locals don't use bicycles or scooters in the city. The roads flood when it rains, and thus too dangerous for 2 wheel transport.

I'm hopping to Isle Contadora next week...will report back on that if you are interested.

Kind regards Ilona Visser

yep i lived in the city my first two years 17 yerars ago things have sure changed ,, then lived in a village cerro cama had groceries hdwe store doctor etc, 5 miles from the lake there for 7 yeras as a fishing guide   raised a lot of my own stuff and ate lots of fish even raised our won pig killed and smoked once a year ,, life is what you make of it .

I have a 3 yr contract — so will be working at least a few more years. I think there is a vehicle to buy from a known party, so that will fix  the transportation issue. I want to visit all the areas before I decide what is best for me,  and  i'll probably never buy - I think as I get older less responsibilities is the name of the game., but  thanks.

Hi
For a used car or apartment look in this site encuentra24.com/  I prefer the city, I am sure you can find many options there, and also you can move around in Uber x  which is very cheap.
You can consider Panama Pacific also if you like riding bikes or be close to the jungle.
El Valle or Cerro Azul if you like the mountains, and still be close to the city.
There is a lot of traffic between Chorrera and Panama City now, but in 2 or 3  years the new bridge, the subway and more roads will be communicating this two points so is going to be faster the travel to the city.
If you are going to live outside the city I recommend you to buy a car.

Hey guys, love reading all of your stories, and happy to see that you guys love Panama;-)

I was born in Panama, left it at a 14, and I was raised in New York and Florida.

I decided after  33 years to come back to my country.  The best decision I have ever made.

I have been here since September, I must say I'm a complete stranger in my beautiful country.  Starting from zero and learning everything about my country all over again.

Is a new world to me, is a beautiful place, but then again I may be biased because is my country. lol ;-)

I'm learning through trial and errors and I'm more than happy and open to give any

advice on any of you guys that may have questions about anything.

Learning every day and willing to share my experiences with you guys so you don't have to make the mistakes that I have done so far ;-)

If you want to contact me, you can reach me here or you guys can send me messages throug wassap ***

looking forward to talking or meeting some of you guys ;-) 

Happy Holidays and man blessings!

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct