Amazon/Ebay/Online Shopping

Has any other non-US person had a problem shopping online at the typical sites?  I say non-US, because if you are American, shipping to Miami with a US billing address, your bank is likely not to flag anything as fraud.  I am Canadian, with a Canadian billing address, shipping to a Miami address, while in the DR.  Apparently this is a big problem for Amazon, and/or my Canadian Bank.  Neither one has answered my inquiries, as it just happened last night, but I'm curious if anyone else has had the same issue?

Ordered on my Wife's card and account, and it seemed OK, then Amazon asked for confirmation of the card #, and things seem to be progressing?  It's frustrating, and not a huge problem, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Once they confirm you will be fine.

I know the first time I used my AMEX and my VISA I had to call them and tell them it was ok. I was kind of glad it happened. I am American and it was IKEA.

With all the online shopping you've been doing ChristieE, I had wondered if that was an issue for you.  I wonder what the trigger is? New shipping address, or the fact that I'm ordering from the DR?  Just an annoyance, but a fixable one.

All of the above will throw up flags until you notify and validate all the pieces..... Then things will flow!

Yup, called the bank today.  Free, on Skype!  Should be sorted out now.  They said PIN and Chip transactions in other countries don't flag anything, but online is a different story.  This was a wrinkle I wasn't prepared for, and caught me off guard.

and hopefully now you are sorted out!

Every 6 months i re-up my extended vacation plans, never get red flagged.  It is a US bank, Make a difference?

When I give IKEA in Santo Domingo a cc# over the phone, it is on an encrypted system.  Then I have to bring the physical card to Santiago and show it at pickup.

I bet it does make a difference that your purchases originate in the DR.

Next up in the ChristieE shipping saga, Amazon by boat!

Hopefully you have your issues worked out and it is working well for you now.

Thanks, and issues seem to be resolved.  We're doing the Amazon by Boat thing shortly for a BBQ, unless we find a better deal on a tiny one locally.  This one was 2 mattresses, but we opted for two XL Twins instead of a King, so it falls under the 70 pound limit for the plane.

Tinker, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.  Time will tell, I guess.

You must keep the bark collars on 24/7 until totally quiet. Don't worry, if attacted or broken into, their natural protective modality   will prevail with full throated  roars.   If you assume they will know why they are sporadically being punished with shocks, it ain't gonna happen amigos. If anything they will end up more confused than they are now.  You will have to continue to put the collars on forever.  Tell us how you shipped the collars, by air or boat. I've shipped Blue Barrels here, door to door. No weight restrictions.

The collars were by air, less than a pound for the both.  And no issues with Amazon, or the Bank either.  That was a fluke, I think?  And the dogs seem to be very aware when the different collar goes on, and there is a beeping, that the vibrations will be next.  They're (mostly) smart dogs.

I've heard mixed things about the reliability of Amazon to the DR. Can anyone share their experiences? I read somewhere to just "Pretend that mail doesn't exist".

It only works if you  use a mail handler out of Miami!  You have amazon ship all your items there,  from there to here you are charged by the pound and or by size. 

I use BM Cargo and am very happy. Other options include CPS which is also good.

Our first shipment was with CPS, and it worked well.  They comminicated well, and setting up the account was a breeze online.  Wal-Mart's website doesn't seem to like the Miami address, but hopefully they can find it.  We'll find out shortly.

I was with CPS for several years,  then I discovered BM cargo does not round up your charges.  So  1.2 pounds you pay for 1.2 pounds. That is why I changed companies.  Their service was fine.

I have used in Sosua EPS since before the turn of the century. During my sojourn in Florida I thought that my account would have been closed. When I returned afte yeas, I was surprised that my account was active, all that was required was to use it. Fair prices and smiling service keep me satisfied.  From a single letter to bulk shipping, they more than suffice.  If at times the process is a bit cumbersome, sit back & be glad someone is looking to c y a.  How is the stone uncle?

I just signed up to this site because I see many of you ship to the DR and I would like some help please! I am living in Canada and would like to ship some clothes to my friends 6 year old daughter in SANTO DOMINGO. What is the best/cheapest way to send packages in my situation? The little girl really needs some clothes for school and I want to help out. I cannot send it to a post office directly because they cannot afford to pay the fees to take the package out. I would appreciate any information or suggestions. Thank you!

Welcome to the forums. I will help you. I live and work in Santo Domingo.  I will private message you.

Hi Darlene!  Would you send me the shipping info also?  I have a home in LT.   Gary. 🇨🇦

GCl it wont work for you as my info is for Santo Domingo.

How you do this:

Open an account with a freight forwarder who has offices near your home in LT.  CPS, BM Cargo etc etc.  There are a number of them.

They give you an address in Miami.  You ship to that address anything you purchase on line or just want to ship. Remember you pay by the pound and or size of package from Miami to DR. AND the value has to be below US 200 or you get tagged with duty and tax.  In most cases you upload the receipts into an online platform.  From Miami to  your local office is  3 to 5 working days depending where you are.  Shipments arrive in Santo Domingo then get routed out to the local offices here.

Thanks Darlene!  Have you visited LT?  Gary

Many years ago honey.  Its about time for a return visit.

Many changes and new condo developments.

I will make a trip soon!

I just read the notes on online with amazon. I'm from Canada as well. What address do you use. The information where you live? Or the ports address? Is it worth the shipping cost? Thanks

Why did you buy the dogs bark collars? I have 2 dogs and want them to protect when needed

planner wrote:

GCl it wont work for you as my info is for Santo Domingo.

How you do this:

Open an account with a freight forwarder who has offices near your home in LT.  CPS, BM Cargo etc etc.  There are a number of them.

They give you an address in Miami.  You ship to that address anything you purchase on line or just want to ship. Remember you pay by the pound and or size of package from Miami to DR. AND the value has to be below US 200 or you get tagged with duty and tax.  In most cases you upload the receipts into an online platform.  From Miami to  your local office is  3 to 5 working days depending where you are.  Shipments arrive in Santo Domingo then get routed out to the local offices here.

Be aware... this has happened to me....

Some companies will not ship to those MIA addresses...

This is not a foolproof solution....
Works lots of times... but not EVERY time...
They apologize and cancel the order

Good evening all,

We are at the beginning of week #4 of adjusting to our new home.  We set up an account with the Las Terrenas branch of Mailbox Etc and have shipped a couple of small, fairly low value things to see just how it all works.  To our delight, our packages arrived as expected without much inconvenience.

We are now ready to do some bigger shopping.  When we visited our future home in November, we were pleasantly surprised to see quite a few Amazon boxes arrive at one of the other residences apartments.  We hoped that meant that Amazon would ship directly to our new property.

I asked the person who ordered the packages what our direct shipping address was and her response was that Amazon did not ship direct to the DR but that because she order in bulk for a business that she was able to order.

Would love insight into Amazon orders.  Do they all have to come through my freight forward address in Miami?  What is this "Amazon by boat" phrase I have seen referenced on the forum mean?

Thanks,
Las Terrenas Tracy

You sign up with the reshipper. We use CPS. They assign you a maritime (by sea) address and a air freight address. Both of ours are in Miami. We ship to those addresses, depending on what we order. We have Prime so the shipping to Miami is "free". Then CPS arranges shipment to DR-in our case, Sosua. You pay by the pound and size of package. Our last transaction took about 12 days. Our packages, a bed frame and 4 small tables, are waiting for us at our condo. It cost about $105 US to ship them. PM me if you want more detail.

Thank you

Well that sounds like a sweet option.  We currently pick packages up from Mailbox Etc.  Does shipping them by sea chamge how you receive them in Sousua, maybe we need to make a special request for delivery to out new home or perhaps that may not be a service MBE provides?

This thread has been enlightening.  Thanks much for the information

No no no. Do not try to have Amazon ship direct or anyone else.  Your items will be help up in Customs and Amazon has no delivery contractors here.

Some mail forwarders will deliver your packages to your house for a fee.  Some! And only in some . areas.  Large quantities and everyone is negotiable.

Almost all will deliver to your mail forwarder address in Miami.  I have only had one cancel my order in more than 10 years.

What if you order from a few sites on the same day (Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart-Mart)  will the Miami address wait until they have all of your packages and send them all together if you call or email them in advance? And would this save any money waiting to get them all at once or would it not make any difference?

I decided to use paypal for ebay, when you register you credit card they will ask you for a comfirmation code in the statement description charge, and thats all, the only problem for me was that my credit card is from a Dominican bank and they charged me in Dominian pesos and the exchange rate was highter than the rate at the Bank, I called and asked to bill me in US dollars and they changed.

Buying in Amazon no problem at all with my Dominican credit card, I mustly use ebay for online shopping.

Walmart, for one, will not ship to a drop box address, which is why none of the courier type guys like Liberty Express and Blumbox deal with them.

I wondered the same thing. Uncle Buck says they will hold them at CPS and do local delivery at one time. But I don't know if they will hold them at the dock to ship together.

No I meant CPS not the dock ship. So that's good, sometimes I just have something small to order I figured if its everything together there might be less chances for it to get "lost" or maybe not lol!

From my experiences, no issues with Amazon or Walmart dropping at a Miami address.  Just picked up a bunch of items today.  CPS charges by weight, so there is no point holding anything in Miami to transport to the DR.  They will, however, hold items until they all come in, and deliver to your physical DR address, if you choose.  I have only had one delivery to my home, and there was not an extra charge.  Although the items in question were very large, and they got their money on the shipping fees.

They hold nothing in Miami as long as they are addressed properly.

All packages are forwarded from Miami to Santo Domingo or whatever that shippers port of entry is.  Then the packages are cleared through. Then they are sent to whichever local office you use. So BM Cargo for example, put all DR packages together. They clear through in Santo Domingo then are sent to your office in , for example, Puerto Plata. They can be asked at that office to hold your packages, or deliver etc.