Finding your bearings in Canada

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Canada? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Canada?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Most People in Canada will go out of their way to give you directions, if you are lost or are not familiar with the location. With technological advancements , most people use a GPS or their phone or google maps to navigate.
Just like anywhere on the planet , you should know your surroundings and take all the necessary precautions on following through the advice and directions of others.

Some of the best people to ask for directions will be , Bus drivers, taxi drivers, gas stations, restaurants,
and local businesses.

If you are lost and do not feel safe and you can't locate the above establishments and businesses  , you can always dial 911 from any phone,  and get connected with the emergency services of the local city .

I hope this information is helpful !

Hello, Priscilla,

While I was visiting in Canada, I could navigate to get my destinations by Google map.

However, for some places, I had to ask for someone's help to find out about accurate directions. When I asked the road to the staff from Sky train, he directed me how to go there. But I walked the wrong way and he chased me to point out the right one.

The road signs in Canada are easy to follow but one thing I didn't realise is the unit no. of building. It's not arranged by orderly. It made me confused to discover exactly🤣. 

The people in Canada are so friendly and helpful compared to other countries that I experienced. They greet each other on the road with big smiles even we are strangers. They give a priority to elderly and disable people in using public transportation. When I was going to cross the road by carrying heavy bags with groceries, one man helped me to press the pedestrian crossing button and asked if I needed for help.

So Canada is a lovely country with lots of picturesque sightseeing and people are nice though.

These are my experience in Canada.

Cheers.
SYM