International Driving licence

Hi,

Do anyone knows about agency who can provide support in acquiring International Driving Licence in Thailand. Currently I hold Thai driving licence valid until 2020.

Thanks for your support in advance

Regards
Keith

I get mine from the Post Office in UK

Thanks Phil for your response, might be you share the details of the UK Post office and I can seek advice from them providing your reference.

Cheers!

KC

Most of the uk post offices will supply one for about £5. You will need to present  your uk driving licence at a post office to get one.

i got mine via RAC website you can fill in an application form online there.

idp form

this is the international drivers permit form

Hi,
I have asked a few people and tried to find out online, but am coming up blank.
Please could someone advise if my husband & I need to get an International Driving Permit to hire a car in Phuket. We both hold full UK driving licences.
We are coming out to Phuket again in October to start looking at areas to live in a couple of years time. We hope to visit a number a few times in the next couple of years and get a feel for Phuket and identify where we would like to settle for a while, so driving around will be the way to go for us if we can.
Thank you for your help.
Kath

Thanks for responses

Sorry I have hi-jacked your post Kedar007  :)

idp form

yes you need an international drivers permit, i saw loads of people in pattaya getting fined for not having one but i was fine when i showed mine.
i left a link to download the form you need in my previous post.

dennis

Hi Dennis,
Many thanks for your reply. We were told we didnt need an IDP if we had UK photo licences, but I will make sure that we both have these now.

Thanks again
Kath

If you already hold a Thai driving license, you may obtain an International version of that from the Land Transportation Office in your area.

Thailand does not issue Int'l driving licenses for foreign issued licenses. There is a place in Phuket that claims it can, however its only a translation of your home country's license and has no legal validity in Thailand.

Also, if you already have a Thai driving license, why would you want an Int'l one for driving in Thailand ???

OP if you are wanting international driving permit based on your Thai drivers license, and you live in Bangkok, you can go to the Land Transport office located near Mo Chit BTS station and you can obtain what you seek.

In the US you can get a one-year international license from AAA for about $25

livinginphuket wrote:

Also, if you already have a Thai driving license, why would you want an Int'l one for driving in Thailand ???

Only carrying an International driver's license, from Thailand, isn't valid to drive in Thailand. Only for the countries that are listed on the IDP.

LTCMARCPAUL wrote:

In the US you can get a one-year international license from AAA for about $25

But it's only valid for six months in Thailand. For those who stay longer go for a Thai license. If there's an accident the first they're asking for is a Thai driver's license.

Yes, of course, that goes without saying, but was not what the discussion was about, so what is your point exactly ?

Some confusion here clearly; UK post offices will not issue IDLs for foreign licenses. You need to go to the nearest land transportation office, wherever you live  in Thailand, and they will issue an Int'l version.