Short visit - Cell Phone, Insurance, Bus From Guayaquil to Playas

Hi,
Thanks in advance for any help.
Hubby and friend coming to Ecuador for one week in May. I have the following questions:
1. Any good cheap way to call the US through a cheap cell phone or? Where would they pick one up? or a cheap calling card?
2. Do they need travel insurance? Can they get it when they arrive? if so where?
3. They are taking a taxi from the Guayaquil airport to the bus station and then on to Playas. Where is the bus station? what is the name of the bus company?
4. Any good places to connect with other Expat's in Playas?
Thanks again

Sorry for the lateness of the reply...hope you had a good time!

1. Any good cheap way to call the US through a cheap cell phone or? Where would they pick one up? or a cheap calling card?
Best way to mae inexpensive calls is going to a telephone booth shop -- called cabinas here -- the cost is just a few pennies a minute.  Another possibility is to bring a laptop and use SKYPE

2. Do they need travel insurance? Can they get it when they arrive? if so where?
Buy before you leave the states

3. They are taking a taxi from the Guayaquil airport to the bus station and then on to Playas. Where is the bus station? what is the name of the bus company?
The Bus Terminal or Terminal Terrestre is actually within waling distance (a few blocs) and sight of the Airport.  If you have bags though it's worth the $4 cab ride there.  There are two information dess at the entrance to the bus terminal part of the terminal (the rest of it is a shopping mall and food court) and they can direct you to where to find busses to different areas.  Since Playas is in the same Province as Guayaquil (Guayas) you would want an Intra Provincial Bus.  If you were heading to Salinas which is in the Provincia Santa elena you would tae an Inter Provincial B us.

4. Any good places to connect with other Expat's in Playas?
I would contact Mike Sager for redwulf3@juno.com

And when you are ready to chec out Salinas ... drop me a line!