Questions at Port of Entry

Hello,

I applied for a job in Canada while abroad. Everything is moving pretty fast and they are going to fly me to Canada to meet me in person.

My question is: When the officer at POE ask menthe reason of my visit, Can i say at Port of Entry im going to a job interview?

The province im going to visit its not big (PEI) and i dont think it would be credible to say im on vacation by myself for 5 days.

What do you think?

Check with your company but, if you have a good job lined up and are clearly not going to engage in any work whilst on a visit visa, immigration will be unlikely to stop you entering.

Honesty is usually best, more so as immigration people are good at spotting lies.

Congratulations on obtaining a job interview in Canada! That your potential employer is financing your flight and (presumably) accommodations shows the high confidence they have in your employment prospects! (As an aside, do you mind sharing your industry and profession?)

Are you traveling on a visitor visa? Be aware that Canada now has a Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) requirement for most foreign visitors. You can apply on-line but you will need your eTA before traveling to Canada.

Fred's advice is excellent. Consult with your company first. At Port of Entry, make it very clear you are there for a job interview ONLY and have absolutely no intention or plans for any work during your entire stay. Good luck!

I work in construction (management side, not trade)

I'm traveling on visitor visa. I will only be there for 5 days. And that include Saturday and Sunday, so it's pretty clear I won't be working in that limited period of time

sankyx wrote:

I work in construction (management side, not trade)

I'm traveling on visitor visa. I will only be there for 5 days. And that include Saturday and Sunday, so it's pretty clear I won't be working in that limited period of time

True, but they might well be concerned about overstay.
Take all your paperwork along, that including printing out emails between you and your company.
The easier it is to see you're on the level, the less potential for problems.

My phone has free roaming so everything Will be easily searchable. Plus I've been many times in Canada and never spend more than 14 days, hope that counts