Why Some Expats Claim Being Healthier in Ecuador

This thread was created from a sub-topic on another what should I bring to Ecuador thread.

I think we should give more credit to ourselves rather than attributing all change to Ecuador because for some of us we have changed our lifestyles when we moved here. Personally speaking I walk a lot more than I previously did in prior expat destinations and there are two obvious reasons. 1.) Walking in an ideal climate is a joy which results to more walking. 2.) I don't own a car here as opposed to having a car in every other place I lived.

But I not only walk more, I also jog a lot. Previously I would struggle with 5-10 minutes, but here I can easily jog 30-40 minutes. This hasn't happened right away, because the first time that I ran for 5 minutes I thought I was going to puke. So it was gradual building up my stamina and also lung capacity.

Also I eat a lot healthier here, hardly any red meat, fast food, sugar, and rarely soda, etc. The reason is very simple, I have decided to make a lifestyle change, and was especially motivated when some stubborn fat disappeared from around my belly early on when moving here.

But unlike the first year, I now have to work at keeping a flat stomach, I don't know why, maybe because of acclimation and my metabolism slowed or maybe because I'm getting older. But being able to shop at a place like Zara and wear slim dress shirts, jackets is motivation.

So we can't just give the credit to Ecuador, because people will think well I can just move there and get six-pack abs.

No it doesn't work that way. In the same way you won't learn or grasp Spanish simply by being here. You have to work your butt at anything that is worth it.

One thing that I however give Ecuador credit for, at least Quito, is that my environmental asthma or whatever it was has disappeared, but perhaps this would be true in other cities and countries as well, and the asthma was more reflective of my prior city.

Ecuador, as the name implies, is on the equator.  Days are typically 12 hours of sunshine and 12 of darkness every day of the year.

For anyone who suffers the effect of SAD (seasonal affective disorder) a cyclical depression/mania caused by lengthening and shortening of days as the seasons change, Ecuador is the ultimate treatment.

As a  person who lives with SAD and bipolar depression (bipolar II) I can tell you from personal experience that living here has been the most proactive change I could have made in my life.

Of course the access to the ocean clean air, tranquility, fresh seafood,and plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits, has also made it a good choice.

Susan