I'm definitely not a newbie!

I retired to Ajijic, Mexico 22 years ago when I was 51.  I've loved living here. It's the largest expat community and you can get around comfortably without  Spanish.  We have the world's second best climate and the village is nesteled on the north shore of Lake Chapala -- Mexico's largest lake.  We're 5,000 feet high and surrounded by beautiful mountains.

Over the years I've interviewed hundreds of expats, written scores of articles and two books on moving to, living in and retiring in the Lake Chapala area.  If I can offer any advice to newbies, I'd be happy to.

Living in Mexico isn't for everyone, but for those of you who are a bit adventurous, are looking for a lower cost of living, a great community and a wonderful culture, I invite you to try it.  You can read more on my blog

Karen Blue

San Miguel de Allende's prices have crept up in the last 2 years.
Has that happened where you are?

Ronnie

Yes. But I think prices are going up everywhere.

We have signed a contract for a condo at Rosarito that is under construction.  We deposited 14 months ago and the price on a unit like ours is now listed at $50,000 more than what we paid.  Our tower won't be ready for another year.  Units like ours in a tower about to be completed are going for that much over what we paid, also.  However, our's is 300 sq ft larger.

Well done, James!

mexicoblue wrote:

Yes. But I think prices are going up everywhere.

Tourist areas are definitely trending up, and of course SMA and Rosarito  are  tourist areas.