Intercultural relationships in Ecuador

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in Ecuador. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in Ecuador.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in Ecuador?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I'll share something a little funny about Venezuelan women that my friend an Ecuadorian told me.

He said you see how Venezuelan women walk?

He continues, they walk, “relaxed.”  :D

I said, what do you mean?

He replies, the man carries everything, the baby, the food, he pushes the baby carriage, everything. The women they just walk "relaxed".  :D  They the “jefa.” (boss). He continues, I see it all the time in La Florida (a sector in Quito with many Venezuelans and Colombians).

Ok to answer some of questions:

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Learning Spanish or whatever language your partner speaks is an obvious one. Food is another benefit. Residency, a new country. There are many benefits. 

And while I'm not in a relationship, Latinas are much better learning Spanish from then from male friends. I practically learned the subjunctive from one.

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in Ecuador?

In Quito I don't see many extranjeros with local women. But I always see a couple or two at immigration. Interracial couples among locals and other South Americans I see it all the time. Once in a while I also see very old foreigners with younger latinas, and I'm not one to judge but they almost always look uneasy. This is just my observation.