Relocating to Mexico

Doing research on a move to Mexico from the Us. Would love opinions on the best place for a single 55 year old who still wants to work and be in a active setting where there are other expats

Leslie Elizabeth wrote:

Doing research on a move to Mexico from the Us. Would love opinions on the best place for a single 55 year old who still wants to work and be in a active setting where there are other expats

It depends on a lot of things Leslie, what sort of job would you want ? How much would you have to get you started ? What are your interests or living requirements.

Initially it seems you would want a larger city with more job possibilities. You would need security and some people who you could communicate with.

In order to help we would need more information.

It's a big decision, at least it was for me, and everyone has different wants and needs.  My reasons for moving to Mexico are much different than yours but our age is about the same age and I'm "head of household" and it sounds like you are an independent person as well.

After doing a lot of research I chose the state of Yucatan, and city of Merida.  First and foremost my reason for choosing Merida was safety (check out this article, I verified the stats, it is true).  The second reason, homes are a reasonable price.  There were many other, less important reasons that made it more attractive.  I chose Mexico over Costa Rica (for years CR was my first choice) because the cost of living is lower in Mexico. I can import my car and personal household items with paying a huge import tax -- it isn't worth importing anything into Costa Rica due to the import fees.  Those were my reasons for choosing Merida.  Everyone needs are different.

Thanks so much for responding. I am a veterinary technician. Have been for 30 years. Not sure if it would be possible for me to do that kind of work in Mexico.   I would like to live near the beach. In a condo. I would like to be able to walk to a town where there are restaurants and bars. A community of xpats or other social people is very important because I am coming alone. I would need to rely on others for learning valuable information Leslie

Thanks for your response. I am open to any suggestions. I am doing research on different Mexico cities but getting a little overwhelmed. Any information is welcome. I want to be near the beach. Coming by my self I of course want safety. A coumity of expats and or social people would be nice. I would like to live in a condo again for the social aspect. Being able to walk to restaurants and bars. Coming by myself I prefer a area that has a lot going on. I work in the US as a veterinary technician. I would like to do that in Mexico have not investigated if that is possible.  After the sale of my house I will be able to start with around 160k. Any information opinions is welcomed thanks. Leslie

Leslie Elizabeth wrote:

Thanks for your response. I am open to any suggestions. I am doing research on different Mexico cities but getting a little overwhelmed. Any information is welcome. I want to be near the beach. Coming by my self I of course want safety. A coumity of expats and or social people would be nice. I would like to live in a condo again for the social aspect. Being able to walk to restaurants and bars. Coming by myself I prefer a area that has a lot going on. I work in the US as a veterinary technician. I would like to do that in Mexico have not investigated if that is possible.  After the sale of my house I will be able to start with around 160k. Any information opinions is welcomed thanks. Leslie

Mexico has vets, and numerous animals. Sadly some animals are on the street feral, but many people have pets. so with your background there is a possible  fit in a large or moderate sized city. You should visit Merida and see what you think. Progreso, a beach town, is close to Merida( 30 Kl)., and Merida is a moderate sized town.

The Rosarito condo complex we bought into is under construction.  But they are telling us there will be a pet clinic attached to the buildings commercial area.  I am guessing it won't be done for about a year.

Leslie Elizabeth wrote:

My wife and I live fulltime in La Peñita de Jaltemba (Riviera Nayarit), we rent, we are a few block away from the ocean. Here is a link for animal rescue center https://jaltembabayanimalrescue.com

If you intend to buy, may we suggest that you first visit then decide. Our community is a laid back, we can walk to restaurants, bars, groceries, pharmacy and we are only 80km from Puerto Vallarta. We opted for this area after 14 years of travel and visits in Mexico.

Not that salaries in Mexico don't equate the ones NOTB. You will also need a work visa not a tourist one...check the requirements at the nearest Mexican consulate or via internet.

Here is the main link to our area community internet site https://explorenayarit.com.

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Thanks so much for you information-Leslie

Thanks so much for the information-Leslie

Thanks so much for the information-Leslie

Leslie I have found so many web pages about moving to Mexico.  Unfortunately with the search engines knowing who you are, and the way the results of searches come up for a specific person, IP address, and the cookie trails we leave It makes it hard to get good search results these days.  I use numerous programs to clean them out, change my IP address several times a day, wipe my hard drive frequently.  I'm not surprised when I get better results after computer maintenance.  Even using the library computer will bring up much better results if you don't want to go through the hassles.  I did my computer maintenance this morning because I was getting frustrated, and this afternoon I had what I needed; 2 RE agents to interview, 2 attorneys to interview, and the listing of homes in pesos with "real" prices.  In fact, 2 different RE agents had the same new housing area, same house, with a difference of 3,000 MXN in prices.  Welcome to the "censored" age of cyberspace.  Will they burn our libraries next?  Okay, everyone knows I tend to be cynical lol.

THERE IS A 180 FREE DAY TIME PERIOD.AFTER THAN U CANT STAY(BUT I AM A REBEL AND HAVENT BEEN BACK TO STATES FOR A LONGER TIME. U R REQUIRED TO BUY A FMM CARD AT THE BORDER. IT IS DATED SO THEY KNOW HOW LONG U HAVE BEEN IN MEX. I NEVER GOT A CARD SO NOBODY ACTUALLY KNOWS THAt i am here. and since i do not plan to leave and wont, i dont worry about it. my son has been here for over 2 years ad he never got an fmm card either..it is voluntary not mandatory  because it is not enforced. however, if u ever plan to leave, u must show your your fmm card as well as your passport, and ive heard there is a penalty for not having one. but since i do not plan to ever go out of the country, i dont worry about it. all i want is right here.

grapenut wrote:

THERE IS A 180 FREE DAY TIME PERIOD.AFTER THAN U CANT STAY(BUT I AM A REBEL AND HAVENT BEEN BACK TO STATES FOR A LONGER TIME. U R REQUIRED TO BUY A FMM CARD AT THE BORDER. IT IS DATED SO THEY KNOW HOW LONG U HAVE BEEN IN MEX. I NEVER GOT A CARD SO NOBODY ACTUALLY KNOWS THAt i am here. and since i do not plan to leave and wont, i dont worry about it. my son has been here for over 2 years ad he never got an fmm card either..it is voluntary not mandatory  because it is not enforced. however, if u ever plan to leave, u must show your your fmm card as well as your passport, and ive heard there is a penalty for not having one. but since i do not plan to ever go out of the country, i dont worry about it. all i want is right here.

Just curious, how do you receive medical care, or get a bank account; the many things that require ID?

Glad you have found some agents to think about, I didn't forget , but my friend has been beyond busy. He is a burn the candle at both ends type ;)

travellight wrote:

Glad you have found some agents to think about, I didn't forget , but my friend has been beyond busy. He is a burn the candle at both ends type ;)

Thank you!  If anyone can empathize with that scenario, it is I.  I could use a few months of uninterrupted sleep at night  :sleep If I don't do something soon, I may be dealing with this for the next 5 or 10 years -- only God knows.

4theloveofsun wrote:
travellight wrote:

Thank you!  If anyone can empathize with that scenario, it is I.  I could use a few months of uninterrupted sleep at night  :sleep If I don't do something soon, I may be dealing with this for the next 5 or 10 years -- only God knows.

From a medical point of view, I don't think you would have another 5- 10 sound years. Sleep is critical. All electronics in my house are off by 9pm, nothing plugged in, meditation blue filtering once the lights are on, dark, cool, room and rarey a tiny amount of melatonin if my routine is thrown off ( usually by my friend) :cool::lol:

Leslie Elizabeth wrote:

The "Best" place is wherever best fits your needs.
If you want to work and have access to the beach then you might want to try the Baja.
Lots of expat, lots of vets, beaches and very close to the USA. You could work part time in San Diego and make more than you would all week in Mexico.That would allow you more free time to enjoy the beach.
Good luck.

Yeah, The Baja is a good choice.  But it's hot.  As far as working you'd have to be in a city where pets are abundant, of in the countryside were livestock abounds.  Much better $ in livestock.  In fact I have known a few vets who don't even bother with dogs and cats.

Your biggest obstacle would be in your permission.  The general rule is about the same as it probably is in your country.  They won't allow you the take a job from a national who has the same qualifications.   So if you specialize in something no national applies for or no national is qualified for .. you win.

I met a German vet in Costa Rica who did animal husbantry.  He had the gig way before he arrived and was overworked from his first day.

Thanks guys good information