Question: Driving in Morocco?

Hello,

I currently hold a US Drivers License and I am looking to move to Morocco long term. I would like to buy a car IN MOROCCO and take out a Moroccan insurance policy on it. Can I do this with a US Drivers License? If not, can I convert my US drivers license to a Moroccan drivers license?

Thank you,
Sue

Sue you will be able to drive under your usa licence I use my UK 1 for 10 years now however you would need morrocco car insurance. If you are wanting to keep the car more than 6 months in any year you would have to pay the customs. This is very expensive

I plan on buying a car inside Morocco, I'm not importing a vehicle.
Can I get car insurance with a US license?

Yea, you can have a Car insurance with a US license.

I would like to drive to Morocco then sell my car before I leave. Is this a good idea?
Can any kind of vehicle be imported?

Hi Patco
Well its not aa simple as u might think to sell a vehicle here otherwise everyone be doing it as there are quite a lot of moroccons live in europe. Few rules
1. Car cant be more then 5 years old
2. Left hand drive
3. Custom duties are heavy
4. Finding a buyer is a mission
Speaking from 1st hand experience

Hmm so what would happen if I drove there in a car older than 5 yrs (intending to return in it) and it broke down?
Does Morocco have different rules for Commercials or Cars for the Disabled (like some African countries)?

Even if it is dead and into thousand pieces its ur responsibility to take it out of morocco within 6 months, it seems harsh but a fact.