Recommendations for areas to live in Lisbon

Hi
I'm going to be moving to Lisbon in June with my wife and would like some recommendations  for areas to live from people who already live there ;)

Would like somewhere central but with a nice community feel. I noticed that Penha da Franca seems to be bit cheaper than some other centrally located areas and was wondering why? Like the look of Lapa but seems pretty expensive for a 2 bed place...

Anyway, any info/opinions appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

Hello,

You can try Campo de Ourique (near to Lapa), Graça (great river view), Alvalade, Ajuda.

I am a real estate consultant and can provide you more information upon request.

Kind regards,
Louis

Hello,
Yes, they have.
KR
Louis

Hi

Lapa is a very nice place where rich people lives and its very nice , glamorous and very well located and Penha de França is not s not so gallant and people of much lower incomes live.
Still is not very expensive, but a lot of people can not afford expensive houses are living there and buying apartments there for reabilitation

I think you'll need to figure out your budget and what sort of house (rooms, living space, garden/balcony) and work from there. Housing costs in Lisbon grew 60% in Lisbon over the past 10 years, in some areas more than others. Campo de Ourique would definitely be my first pick for a number of reasons, but there are other valid options to pick from (e.g. Alvalade), all depending on budget and what you're looking for.

What are the areas of Marvila and Olivais like? New apartments there seem to be reasonably priced and have good metro access. What is it like to live there?  We are looking outside the center for a family apartment to buy. Obrigada. Helen

Olivais is somewhat better than Marvila, both of them are fairly close to Expo (currently one of the most premium areas in Lisbon, close to the river and with plenty of parks and amenities). Reason why they're not prime locations relate to the fact that Chelas (one of Lisbon's least secure areas) is part of Marvila and close to Olivais. There are plans to re-qualify Marvila, especially the zone close to the river, but that will likely take several years to happen.

Hi
i need a flat  lisbon also and looking to rent or buy in a good area but dont want the most expensive. 100-150 sq m2.
want a newish modern building.
in aras like olivais and campo de ourique mentioned above what can i expect to pay per sq m2 for rent and for purchase?

For Campo de Ourique and you'e looking for something in a newish modern building, you should expect to pay 5000€-6000€/sqm. Most of the existing offer is for older apartments /most buildings were built from 1930s to 1970s). I would say price would drop to around 4000€/sqm for a refurbished apartment. For rentals, expect something between 15€-20€/Sqm.

Olivais is a little bit tougher as it includes more premium areas (the ones closer to Expo) that can be much more expensive. My guess, is that rental cost on premium areas would cost pretty much the same as in Campo de Ourique and average purchasing cost per sqm for recent apartments should be lower (2500€-4500€), again depending on the area you pick.

On a side note, despite the fact that Olivais is closer to Expo and you get all the amenities, I would rather live in Campo de Ourique. Parkins is the main issue for those living there, but everything is pretty much walking distance including supermarket, stores, market and some of Lisbon's finest restaurants.

I would strongly advise you to check one of the main real estate portals to check what's available, since market is very competitive right now. Try: https://www.imovirtual.com/en/

Regards.

Dear Alexa

In fact, the houses in Lisbon are facing  an exponential increase of price, either for purchase or for rental.

Olivais for sure is less expensive, is a nice area, with a lot of green areas and gardens, but the building construction is very old. and its not glamorous. I think you can find there quite nice/ comfortable apartments, but don't expect nothing Glamorous.

Expo is indeed a very nice place with all the amenities , but also expensive.

Campo de Ourique is considered an residential area, nice and picturesque, but is terrible for parking, with a lot of traffic and the houses are also old, but most of the buildings have been rehabilitated. Nevertheless, is also an expensive area, because is near the centre of Lisbon.

At this moment I think you should be prepared for very Hight prices both for rental or purchase

Try the area of Ajuda, next to the River, a little bit far from Lisbon Centre but The prices aren't still so Hight.

Cheers

Does anyone have anything positive to say about Mafra as a place to live?

Hello,
Positive things about Mafra:
If you like a countryside and quiet area is a great place to be;
You will have lots of good beachs (a few are world know surf beachs) nearby like Ericeira for about 15min by car;
You area about 40min from Lisbon city center by car;
Cheap price of living if you compare with Lisbon;

cheers,
alex

Thank you,
I was looking at a villa outside of Mafra called Gonçalvinhos. Unfortunately, the realtor  is not cooperating by giving me the address or more pics. From what I can see on Google Maps, it looks like a nice little village.