Banking in Bangkok

Hello dear members,

Can you recommend some financial institutions i.e. Commercial Banks in Bangkok?

What about their facilities they offer? For example: [Internet Banking, Credit Facilities, ATM's machine availability throughout the city]

How the mentioned institution(s) has(ve) facilitated or facilitate your life?

Please do not hesitate to share your experience on the Expat-Blog community.

Thank you in advance for your future contribution.

As a USA expat, banking in TH is not much fun. Where somethings here are really great like paying bills at 7/11 or topping up your cell phone. Banking so far is not.
If you don't speak Thai make sure your branch can support your language.
We bank with HSBC because we can tie in to our US branch if necessary, however we had to open a TH account in BKK to allow for the tie in.
I was stunned when HSBC would not let me deposit 1,000 baht cash into the TH account out providing a paper trail source for the 1,000 baht.
HSBC also does not charge a conversion fee like most other credit card companies--they may make up for it in a lower exchange rate but I have no data on that.
We also bank with Siam Commercial Bank (SCB). We were hoping their online banking would be a real benefit, however it delivers sub par performance. It helps pay the Siam Credit Card, but they only show you how much you owe and they don't update the accounts to show payments made. SCB online has the ability to make online payments but only to the SCB Bank define merchants. I could not pay a utility bill online because it not listed.
Unbelievably frustrating is the best description for banking in TH.

Hi GM,

Try using UOB Bank as they have more branches in Thailand yet they are foreign bank.  Go to the head office at Sathorn Road - Robot Building and the BTS train gets there.

I am about to open an account at Bank of Bangkok. Apparently, they are the only one that allows accounts by foreigners. They have a good website. Minimum is small. ID is two passport and drivers license. I will let you know how that goes. I aim to get direct deposit of my Social Security there.

Wil

I am at Bangkok Bank an every time I have a request I need to ask my (Thai) assistant to check it for me, it's hard when you don't speak Thai (as I can see)

Kbank or Scb bank can use internet banking and lots of ATM

Cash is King here but people using credit card more and more.

Debit card is not popular.

To open an account: depend on your visa type.

traveler can't open saving Bank account these day.

if you have work-permit: Yes