Free and low-cost leisure activities in Ecuador

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding leisure activities that are free or low-cost in Ecuador. This information will give future expats (or even current expats) an idea regarding some of leisure activities that they might not be aware of.

Is there a way to find out about free or low-cost fun activities in Ecuador, such as a specific app, or a newsletter, or magazine, tourism board, etc.? How do you find out where events are organised?

What are the most common free leisure activities in Ecuador?
Which free activities do you recommend for children, for teenagers, for adults, and for seniors?

Are there certain days where access to paid activities are offered at a lower price or even for free, such as museum entry, or exhibitions, or a theme park, etc.?

How do you maximise your leisure activities in the most cost-effective manner?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

The following information is limited to the capital.

Is there a way to find out about free or low-cost fun activities in Ecuador, such as a specific app, or a newsletter, or magazine, tourism board, etc.? How do you find out where events are organised?

Quito's municipality (alcaldía) always organizes free activities throughout the year. The following website will be helpful in finding out what is happening around the city.

http://www.quitocultura.info

What are the most common free leisure activities in Ecuador?

Concerts are popular but there's something to suit everyone's taste whether it's cultural events, festivals, concerts, sports and so on. At Carolina park one can have free access to clay tennis courts, mini football pitch, basketball courts, volleyball court, etc.

Which free activities do you recommend for children, for teenagers, for adults, and for seniors?

Cycling and running are my favorite so I'll recommend those. With running just understand that we are situated at 9,350 feet above sea level. So it's important to adapt to this altitude because it's more challenging especially with breathing. So build yourself up by completing one of the many conditioning programs that are online.

As for cycling, Sunday is ciclopaseo in which a long stretch is closed to traffic from north to south of the city. That is a perfect time to cycle if one is worried about traffic (children). It's fun, safe, and family orientated. Parks are also ideal and there are also routes for cycling.

How do you maximise your leisure activities in the most cost-effective manner?

The initial investment will be the only real cost such as a mountain bike and gear, tennis rackets, decent footwear, etc. if someone is an avid cyclist then it might make sense to bring your own bike because high quality ones are pricey.

I'll add a little bit about one of my favorite leisure activities within context of living in Quito. Before doing so it's known that running/jogging is one of the best aerobic exercises for many reasons. I won't get into those specifics but running in Quito allows you to experience and enjoy the city more personally. There aren't many things in life better than running and seeing Quito's nice little skyline with a beautiful mountain backdrop and especially on a misty day like today with thick clouds hovering atop the mountains. It's simply breathtaking to run and see such a sight.

But what makes running one of the best free leisure activities is that you get to experience the vibrant city life around you. Just today while running I saw a Nike+ tent for people to sign-up for a running club (in front of the big cross at carolina). This is merely one example of opportunities to socialize with other city residents that running/jogging offers you.