The jobs that are the most in-demand for expats in Latvia

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding the job market for expats in Latvia. This information will be incredibly helpful to anyone considering moving there, so we're very grateful for your contribution.

What are the types of jobs that are easily accessible to expats in Latvia?

What are the ones most in-demand for expats?

Which industry and/or jobs have limited workforce?

Are there any existing surveys, data, or reports done regarding this topic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

It's all about IT. Most positions and companies require applicants to speak Latvian AND Russian, but if you speak English then IT professions are open to you - think Software Developers, QA, FE Developers, DevOps, even project management.

hello I do not need a job but my thoughts are city only jobs. Out in rural bliss only builders sparks and bricklayers .Speaking Latvian German or Russian.
In Riga more chance of employment but all need English with Latvian. No Russian mentioned in city.
I get by as my partner is Latvian and many shop assistants speak English too. Most young people work in shops or cafe life jobs. Some are self employed with IT being top spot. I know I employed an It man for  a day to deal with fault on my old PC.  He translated the fault fixed it in two hours but suggested I bought new PC as mine had been hacked too. This I did and set up myself. Average wage even in city is around 400 euro per month. They seem to be able to live well on that as all have new phones and good cars. If married with children 400 is nothing. Very few in jobs can cope so go aboard to work. Germany Norway or UK, even USA for good. Only older people with little choice stay. Rates in Riga are high and so living costs twice three times what rural living is. Then if young rural life is beyond your means as no jobs here outside of city by 60 miles. I came to build a house cheaper than in UK. I had long wanted that ordeal. Been a big learning curve but have it nailed now with all I ever wanted in home and gardens. Winter is a pest as plants perish in ice field .Roads are vanished as just sand and dust made. snow is the savior as ice is below and one can stand up in without danger. Learning to drive on black ice is fun too. We do not have this in UK much so five months of it you just have to go  out and risk it. Would I suggest to a young person to come here.NO to hard an existence go someplace that has proper jobs and mortgaged homes as starters. Something you will never find here in Latvia. This is a retirement place that is in the main cheap to have it all , if you can afford it yes .No way otherwise.