Jarabacoa

Does anyone have info about jarabacoa they could share?
Population?
Roads?
Banks?
Grocery stores?
Services?
Etc...

Lots of info on Google about Jarabacoa, it's a good start. If you have more questions about living here, or visiting, I'll be glad to help!
Michele

Thanks, Michita (by the way, (I love that name)
I'll br visiting in March and April.
Will probably need lots and lots of info.
Would love to pm you, but don't how?

Click on Michita's name and you will have the option to message.

Start reading the forums, there is lots and lots of info on here.

You're a doll!

Quick question...do the rural areas such as jarabacoa have less crime than the coastal/beach locations?   I like the idea of living inland in the mountainous areas but am a little worried about possibility of more crime (breakins or serious crime)  since it's more isolated.

That, and also hoping, less traffic (I hope!, I hope!)

Question for Lunica, Texas & all the others concerned with crime here in the DR: Have you been a direct victim of a crime?  I don't mean vandalism or car break ins, I mean a serious felony.   If not, you will probably continue unblemished living here.

In the smaller communities everyone knows everyone else.  There is less crime in those types of settings. BUT you still have to live smart. And yes of course, less traffic.

I have lived in the DR for nigh on 20 years now,  most recently in Punta Cana / Bavaro and prior in Cabarete Puerto Plata.. I am now getting weary of the heat  and my wife and I are looking to retire to Jarabacoa or some other mountainous area where the weather is cooler and the landscape more lush. We are looking to buy a small plot of land approx 750 sq metres and build our own house on there .. We want to do it through a local builder Maestro to support local business and wonder if anyone has any contacts or advice on costs etc or has had any experience doing it themselves.
Any ideas on specific areas or alternative towns similar would be very much appreciated too.

There are many mountain towns. Jarabacoa is full of rich capitolinos......so high land prices.

Scuba Andy wrote:

I have lived in the DR for nigh on 20 years now,  most recently in Punta Cana / Bavaro and prior in Cabarete Puerto Plata.. I am now getting weary of the heat  and my wife and I are looking to retire to Jarabacoa or some other mountainous area where the weather is cooler and the landscape more lush. We are looking to buy a small plot of land approx 750 sq metres and build our own house on there .. We want to do it through a local builder Maestro to support local business and wonder if anyone has any contacts or advice on costs etc or has had any experience doing it themselves.
Any ideas on specific areas or alternative towns similar would be very much appreciated too.

There's a company that advertises on Facebook marketplace called GLM Piscina who offers wood houses and chalets.
I know nothing at all about them but I would love to have something like what they say they offer up in Constanza or surrounding areas.

Contact Pierre Rep Dom who is the moderator for the French expat.com for DR. He lives in Jarabacoa but his English is not so good so presume you can get more info in Spanish.

Using labour only maestros with you buying materials will save you a bunch. I just completed a 3 bed, 2 bathroom house in the campo in Monte Plata province at 30usd/sf on 29 tareas(bought for 5kusd). Land prices will depend who you know and can find you a local deal. In rural DR there are plenty of good deals with an ear to the ground.

It gets warm here in summer even in these lush hills. You need to be looking at the Central mountain range to be cooler and Jarabacoa is popular. I like too Constanza, San Jose de Ocoa/Rancho Arriba and Padre las Casas in those parts. Up in the mountains from Bonao and Moa are other options.

I can't recall the name , but the owners of Paradise Pools is an Expat and he resides in the Jarabacoa area. Paradise Pools also build homes. You may want to check them out.

WOW..Thank you so much for those responses.. Gives me hope that we will be able to achieve our dream retirement house in the mountains..

Looking more for concrete and a real solid construction.. But will look into them as they may well have contacts too.. Thank you

Jarabacoa is a lovely town, weather-wise and otherwise.  Forgive me, though, as it's been 20 years since I lived there!!!    I lived in a more Dominican-style home, so it wasn't a target for thieves much.  Just lost some underwear drying outside on the clothesline, LOL, had to start hanging my laundry inside.   Had some other expat friends, though, who lived on a mountain in the campo, and they were broken into once by some guys with guns, right while the young family was in there sleeping!  That was quite a scare for them.

Weather is gorgeous there.  In January and February, we actually needed a sweater or light jacket in the mornings and evenings.  But even in the summer, the nights are cooler than other places.  You can feel the temperature drop as you drive up the mountain from La Vega or the main highway, so refreshing.

Hey there..
Thanks for that.. I think we will be looking at buying land in a gated area but still in the open.. Somewhere with 24 hr security.. Realise we will have to pay a maintenace fee but safety is more important. Those break ins with guns are rare but do happen and unfortunately extranjeros are targetted when they live alone.
Great info though so thank you.

Hi all.
We live in Jarabacoa with my wife. We are in a secure and secure condominium.
Our neighbours have been here for 30 years, we have been here for 3 years, and have not experienced a major delinquency to date.
Even now with the economic crisis, we don't have many problems with that, whereas we are only 17 KM from La Vega, much more criminogenic.
It's heaven here.
Before you settle there permanently, it is best to rent for a few months to be sure that you will like it. And rentals is not what is missing.

I use the Google translator. I hope my words will be understandable

Kind regards

Bonjour Pierre

Enchanté d'avoir de vos nouvelles.

Ici en France Covid ne va pas trop bien-c'est la vie.

J'espere revenir mais quand je ne sais pas!

Cordialement

Richard