Becoming a dependent on my boyfriend's temporary work visa

I am Irish, My English boyfriend has gotten a temporary work visa for Brazil (1-2 year employment contract)

I have heard that I can become a dependent on this visa and even obtain work, but I am finding it very hard to find information on how I would go about getting on his visa.

My questions;
- He has already been issued his visa - is it too late for me get on his?

- We are not married - would this be an issue?

My only other option are
1. to enroll in a language school (I have been looking at FAAP),
2. travel on a tourist visa and risk over staying, or hope I get a work visa while over there.

If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

You can´t get a ride with his visa since you´re not married. The best would be to get a student visa and enroll in a language school. Finding work in Brazil is difficult especially if you don´t speak Portuguese. The economy has been in recession for a long time and unemployment is very high.

There´s a fine for overstaying. If your boyfriend agrees and can afford it, then I guess     it´s your decision...

robal

Thanks Robal  I appreciate your response.
A language course looks like my best option.

One question - if I do a language course for 5-5 months, do you know if it is possible to switch to a tourist visa for 90/180 days ?

I understand your problem. Arranging for a separate visa while in the same country is
difficult and requires you to go back and arrange that said visa in your home country.

Can´t you arrange ahead of time a 2yr student visa? But the Brazilian embassy or consulate in your country might want the invitation letter from an academic institution in Brazil, say like a university which usually grants longer study durations.

I  would like to help you so that you can stay with your boyfriend and enjoy Brazil!

Look. I really don´t want you to break the law but there are ways that you can go around that.

You can apply for the 3 month tourist visa. At the Policia Federal, you can extend that to another 3 months for a total of 6 months. You can stay as long as you want till the duration of your boyfriend´s contract and pay the fine afterwards or... pass through the porous borders of Brazil preferably through Foz do Iguaçu, Parana and going to Asuncion, Paraguay where you can board your plane to whatever country you would like.

Please locate my previous post about going through the porous borders of Brazil. It is inside a post about a student quitting university studies and going traveling...

robal

Thanks again for the advice, I just to make sure that I totally understand what you're saying >>>>

Are you saying that I can technically do a five month language course, and after five months, leave Brazil and come back on a tourist visa for 3-6 months?

Or are you saying that it is difficult to arrange a tourist visa while in Brazil? And I am better off just coming on a tourist visa to begin with and to extend it for 3 more months and then overstay / risk a fine / potentially avoid the fine by leaving through one of these porous borders

I appreciate you giving me the advice and understand that it is technically outside the law and there is no saying I won't get caught, but i just wanted to confirm that this is what you meant

Thank you!

Yes, you understood it right. A student and a tourist visa are two different things, so you can apply for the other one later if you decide to go back to your homeland for a brief period of time.

You can try a tourist visa (total of 6mos after extension), and try to inform at the nearest Policia Federal´s office if they can extend you a conversion to a student visa after showing them a letter of invitation from a university or an institution of higher learning. You should have time to research that institution while you´re in Brazil...

You can also PM me if you have anymore questions.

robal