Do and don't in Spain

Are you living in Spain? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Spain?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Spain?

Thanks!

I've been living in Madrid for 3-years now, but had been visiting annually for the previous 10 years.

Wow. Local customs of Spain. How many hours do I want to spend on this reply???

Meals: meal hours and quantities are different in Spain than in the U.K., United States, and Australia (choosing the English-speaking countries with similar social behaviors). Breakfasts are light, usually toast, cereal, or a couple of churros and coffee. Around noon, most people will have a small snack. Between 1:30 and 2:30pm people will START having their lunch - and this can last 1, 2, or 3 hours. Lunch is THE BIG MEAL of the day. At around 6pm, most people take a coffee break with a small bite to eat. Somewhere between 9pm and 10:30pm people will have their dinner. This is usually a light meal - lighter than lunch - and many people will simply have fruit or maybe some ham and cheese.

The "Siesta" is alive an well in Spain but not everyone can take a sleeping siesta. Most shops will close from 2pm to 5 or 5:30pm. Most corporations and offices will not close but will afford employees 1 or 2 hours lunch.

Working Hours: Most businesses open by 9 or 10am, close from 2-5pm, and then stay open until 8 or 9pm.

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Spain? This is difficult to answer because everyone's attitude differs. For me, the most difficult thing for me was the opening hours of the supermarkets. Sometimes I wasn't ready to leave the house for shopping until 2pm - when everything was already closed! This was frustrating but it takes more planning. The meal hours were an easy adjustment for me.

Do's and don't's in Spain:

DO's: Greet people with the usual "Buenos días" or "Buenas tardes" upon meeting/entering and "Hasta luego" when leaving - even at a restaurant or bar. DO pick up your dog's poop. :) (you'd be one of the few who do) Wash your hands after using public transportation. Get used to long, slow lines at the few open check-out/in/registration counters. DO be patient in all situations. Say please and thank you.

DON'T's: Don't leave a big tip OR calculate a percentage, just leave what you feel is fair. Tips are not required in Spain and many don't leave tips at all. Don't get drunk or drink too much - it's poorly looked upon in Spain. Don't call people at home during the lunch or dinner hours. While generally fast and efficient, don't overestimate the timeliness or availability of buses and metros (particularly the buses which are subject to traffic problems, and sometimes metro cars can be absolutely full, causing you to wait for the next...and next one). Don't think others are being rude because A) your check doesn't come quickly, B) people don't smile at you, C) they are staring at you. Don't expect fast service or things to be quickly installed.

Saludos, MadridMan

Interesting...a few differences in Catalonia...siestas...don't seem to happen at all, though the same working hours exist, and the meals are a little different.  Small breakfast, then they have another breakfast around 10:30, usually a sandwich and a coffee....then lunch is at 1 to 3 more or less, and is a bread, wine, two servings plus desert meal.  Most people don't have a snack around 5, only little kids...dinner at 9:30 or 10:00, a light meal usually, salad, or a sandwich.

Much the same though otherwise.