Do and don't in the Maldives

Are you living in the Maldives? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in the Maldives?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in the Maldives?

Thanks!

mmm need to try diving if visiting maldives :)
perhaps visit Ari Atoll , the largest atoll in maldives

If anything I can help, I was living in Maldives for last 6 years, and I been traveling around more than 100 islands already.

Best things to do in maldives is

Diving
Surfing
Snorkeling
fishing
photography

Do Not

its 100% muslim country so you cant drink alcohol on island where maldivians live u can have it on hotels but not in city without special permit, also you cant bring them from airport.
never get mixed up with gangsters so call "Parteys" on streets , anyway maldives is very safe place compare to other.

Don'ts:

1.  Don't try to bring alcohol.
2.  Don't sunbathe topless.
3.  Don't go to a local island in short shorts and tank tops, respect their cultures and dress a bit conservatively.

Do's:

1.  Enjoy the sand, sun and water.
2.  Take a diving course.
3.  RELAX!!
4.  Stay in the nicest resort you can afford, it's a once in a lifetime vacation, so don't waste it one that is too close to the airport to save on the seaplane. 
5.  Do respect the Muslim customs, especially during Ramadan.

Are there any Indian schools?How is the life there?

To my knowledge, there are no international schools in the Maldives.  I have heard that they are building an international school near the airport at Hulamale, when that will be ready, I do not know.  I can ask some of the locals if you need more information.

Hello Rose,

first at all excuse me for my poor engish, I have the posibility to work in Maldives in a near future and i want to know about the life style in maldives, My English level is not very well but i believe that my cherooke english is not too bad, I was born in a country where the people speak Spanish... Actually I am living in Spain... Rose is very difficult to live in Maldives???

I have to tell you that it is NOT easy to live in Maldives.  Will you be working in a resort?  The newer resorts tend to have pretty good living arrangements.  If you are mid to upper level management, the accomodation is more private.  For line employees, the living arrangements can be difficult for Americans and Europeans that are not accustomed to group life and living so closely with people from different cultures.

On the other hand, if you love to work, the job can be a lot of fun, dealing with guests and such beautiful surroundings.  Also, living with and getting to know people from all over the world can also be a great adventure.  The down sides are the difficulty of not leaving your workplace, only having work companions as friends, no clubs, no movies, no shopping...etc.

Most of the people that I have met here are quite happy for the two year committment that they make.  There are those that can't finish the committment.  I love it here.  I love the water, swimmming, snorkeling, diving and the friends that I've made here.  It can get a little lonely, but there's always internet and skype and facebook... etc.  Some resorts offer excursions and games and social activities to keep things fun.  If I can help you with anything else, please feel free to write!!

@April.Dee  I'm sorry that you had such a terrible experience in Maldives.  I have known others to also have a tough time in Male, while others don't have a any problems there.  I also want to say that living on a resort is COMPLETELY different, just for those who are considering it.

Hi..
Yes....Maldives have now two International Schools...first one called Lala International School, which is located in another Island, called Hulmale', close to Male', just 10-15 mins. boat ride from Male'! But very recently, last Feb., there is another school, called Billabong International School in Male', which is opened by the Kangaroo Kids group, who also have few chain of schools in India...like in Mumbai!

Ofcourse, the education in the international schools is not very much to the internaltinal standards as such, but they are fast improving! The biggest problem is the space so the very core requirment to have international school is to have large land availability, where all the facilities can exist to the international standards!

Do you have any plan to relocate? Pls let me know!

Bye!
Romeo

sangeetapatra wrote:

Are there any Indian schools?How is the life there?

I am an Eye surgeon offered a job there.Do you think life is good there to accept the job there?
trupyogpan

Expat.com wrote:

Are you living in the Maldives? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Thanks!

Well, it's pretty easy to get along with in Maldives. The Maldivians are very friendly people. So long as you are within the Law of Maldives than you are fine.  You have your own rights to anjoy yourself.

Cheers,

Hi im vicky, im from argentina but im living in london learning english, my dreams is visit maldives, and if is possible live there for a few time, i have scuba diving license i would know if is posible find a job in some scuba diving club or resort and find accomodation. I dont know why but i have a strong feeling with this country and i think the next year i'll go...
;) thank

Hi Vicky,

You will probably LOVE the Maldives.  In order to work in a Dive Center you will need to have a minimum or equivelent of a PADI Divemaster, many schools will require Dive Instructor level. 

Another thing that dive schools in the Maldives look for is languages.  Spanish is not a huge demand in Maldives.  Russian and Japanese are more in demand, but any language beyond English is a plus!

Take the courses in UK and work toward your goal...  it's a fabulous place!

hi to all
can any one suggest me to get any hotel job in Maldives as i am  26 male from India and  having tourism diploma and  four years experience 
i need  genuine  agents please

subbu5967 : You are completely off topic :(

I will suggest you to create a new discussion in Maldives forum.

Regards

Expat.com wrote:

Thanks!

Its really waste to come maldives for job , its only good 4 vaccation in resorts as its running under european supervison...

Maldivan people dont respect to Indian so dont ecpect respect and gud profile here ..just come and enjoy some time in resorts ,most horrible place in maldives is maale island whcih is capital of maldives.....