Full-Time Study + Part-Time Job in Malta

Hello,
IŽm interested in studying at the University of Malta and as EU citizen I donŽt need to pay any tuition fees, neither do I need to prove that I have enough money to live and study in Malta.

But, the question is, is it possible to find part-time job and cover basic expenditures (like rent and food) with the income? IŽm aware of living costs in Malta (yeah, I searched old topics in this forum ;)) and I saved some money for relocation and living abroad, but they will not cover entire period of undergraduate study (in my case - 3 years). So, naturally, IŽd like to work on part-time basis in my free time.

Or should I rather look for opposite alternative (full-time job + part-time study)?

Thanks for reply!

it all depends what course do you want to take? not all courses have the part-time option. in my opinion a part-time job is not enough unless you work nearly every day. i mean you need to pay for rent, water+electricty + groceries. then there are other expenses too. and of course it all depends on how much you have saved up. also where do you plan to work? during the winter there isn't that much to do...

Yeah, I know that not all courses have part-time option. Personally, I would choose Bachelor of Arts or Commerce.

Regarding job, I was thinking about retail or hospitality sector, but I wouldnŽt mind any job from any other sector...

Anyway, thanks for reply Myrkur.

Yes you can find work in Malta especially now that summer is coming. hotels and restaurants always need  part time workers. if you need help let me know and if you wish i can find you accommodation as i help many students as i am a broker

in summer yes its easy to find work, in winter not so much i think.

it depends what you are looking for. i can try and help you if you wish - there are betting companies you could work for - they are always looking for people. let me know when and what you need by email.

Ladies, thanks for replies!

Anyway, IŽm still highly concerned about the fact that income from part-time job would not suffice to cover at least basic expenditures (as Myrkur already stated). WhatŽs the real income of part-time worker in hospitality/catering industry? Yeah, I know, it all depends on how many hours could I work...

Regarding jobs in betting/e-gaming industry, I read that they are better paid. I even searched across the web, but I found only full-time positions :( I mean, my priority would be university, so part-time is my only option...

Any other opinions / views regarding my dilemma? Anybody with experience in studying and working at the same time in Malta?

Hi doctorik,

your question is a difficult one.

Going back to your first post , even as an EU citizen studying in Malta, you will have to show that you have health insurance and the means to support yourself during your studies in Malta as you will be applying for a residence permit.

It is already hard to survive on the average Maltese full-time salary so I have my doubts if it would work out with a part-time job but that really depends on your personal circumstances.

You really have to calculate your personal needs according to cost of living in Malta and then see how that compares with your financial resources and see if it adds up.Working 40 hours a week you could earn around 1000 €/month so working 20 hours would give you around 500 €. It might be difficult to find work the whole year around - not just during the summer which is generally better for work.

A Maltese friend working in a hotel restaurant in Sliema told me that he earns 4 €/ hour plus tips. But tips are not that reliable.The rates might be higher if you work in Paceville bars at night but that might not be that good if you have lectures and classes the next day.

So, all in all, it is still a difficult question.

Regards
Ricky

Thanks for reply, Ricky.

First of all, are you sure that I need residence permit as EU citizen? I found that only NON-EU citizens need residence permit for study purposes (as written here http://www.foreign.gov.mt/default.aspx?MDIS=539).
Regarding so called "financial support" for studying in Malta, I even asked the university and they replied that as EU citizen I donŽt need to prove that.

Secondly, are those Paceville bars running all the year or in the summer only? Is it hard to get a job in the bar? Because I would even consider taking full-time job there and study on part-time basis...

Kind regards,
Doc

Hi Doc,

Every EU citizen - including myself - needs to apply for residency after the first 3 months are past.

You can apply under different categories - work permit,self-sufficiency , retirement or study - but you do have to apply and show that you fulfil the requirements.

See here: http://www.foreign.gov.mt/Library/Cit/CEA7-EEA.pdf

Bars and restaurants in Malta run most of the year. I can't say how the job options are during the winter season. There are many in your situation looking for work so it is difficult to say.

Regards
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Firstly, sorry, I misunderstood the point regarding residence permit in your first post. I knew that I have to apply for it in 3 months time.

Secondly, I downloaded application form for EU nationals and I fully understand necessity of health insurance. And if I understand it correctly, I donŽt need to prove my financial resources, just provide a declaration concerning them.

Anyway, thanks for info.

Regards,
Doc

Hi Doc,

for a residence permit for study purposes you have to declare that you have the resources, so you should be ok there.

I havn't seen expats working in retail probably because of the Maltese language requirement but you do see many working in bars,restaurants and hotels that deal with tourists.

I was looking for a part-time job myself but one job offered to me as part-time turned out to be full-time for 6 months. The company considered that part-time !

I wish you luck
Ricky

In summer bars and restaurants and clubs in paceville open every day, but in winter they would only be open 3-4 days a week so definitely less time. You might try customer care for HSBC, altho the first training lasts for 6 weeks i think, the whole day every day.

TRY THE HOTELS - THEY ALWAYS WANT PART TIMERS IN SUMMER

Hello francusc,

Can you kindly post in lower caps please.

Thanks for your kind comprehension!

yes sure

I have received an offer from Malta employer at 18,000/annum full time. Can somebody tell me whether i should accept this offer?
My second question is this that being an expat. can i legally do PART TIME job along with the full time job as mentioned above. (Does law allows it?)

Please reply

are you an EU citizen ? If so, yes you can do more than one job, if no, then you will need a separate work permit for each job

Sir i am not an EU citizen. when i receive a permanent residence due to my employment in malta, does not this permanent residence allow me to have more than one job or it binds me to work only with that full time employer???

Furthermore, please also give comments on salary 18000/Euros per annum (Gross amount and tax will be deducted from this amount)

Please reply

AFAIK your work permit is specific to one employer.

tax rates
http://ird.gov.mt/v1/services/taxrates.aspx

social security rates
http://ird.gov.mt/services/ssc/class2rates.aspx

assuming you are single, tax of about € 1,800 plus social sec contribs of about €1,800

Myrkur wrote:

In summer bars and restaurants and clubs in paceville open every day, but in winter they would only be open 3-4 days a week so definitely less time. You might try customer care for HSBC, altho the first training lasts for 6 weeks i think, the whole day every day.

HSBC Customer care positions will consider part time however...  the initial training is 3 months FULL TIME followed by 3 months full time before they will see if they have part time positions open.  Don't let this put you off tho,  its always worth an application.x (I have checked this information with somebody who actually works there in the Call Centre).

Hi Khan,

check out the employment guidelines in respect of third-country nationals (TCN):

http://www.etc.gov.mt/docs/ELU_Guidelines_16082011.pdf

As a TCN you can only work for one employer at a time and part-time work is only possible if the salary is twice the minimum wage in Malta. There are also many other rules and your future employer will have to apply for your work permit.

You are already in Malta? Do you already have a work permit and residency?

You would not aquire permanent residency through a work permit . It is ordinary residency for one year at a time.

You should be able to live in Malta with that income. I know many expats that do.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you very much Ricky, That information is very usefu

Hi
It is not very difficult to find a job in Malta...what would you be interested in ? My son is a student and he works part time as a waiter in a hotel.. Let me know if I can help., cos this hotel would , most probably employ you for part time
Eileen . You can contact me on my email since I do not alwways check my mail here .
[email protected]

sounds like you have all your homework done - :)

i have found the most freedom & the most money in direct sales - if that is something you are up for.

you can study part time at the university
btw.. the offer of wages of 18,000 is good . i would take it !

Hi eilrit,

Khan is from India !

He can't study and work in Malta at the same time.

Especially not in his first year. Not even part time.

Cheers
Ricky

He can work mornings til early afternoon. University here offers evening classes and I know ppl who do this here

The last question from Khan was from a TCN wanting to work part-tine and full-time. He does not want to study.

But anyway the regulations for him being from a third-country like India or China or the US would not allow it anyway. Especially not in their first study year.

See ETC regulation 3.3:

3.3 I am a student in Malta. May I work?

Bulgarian/Romanian nationals and their TCN “family members” or “other family members” may
apply for an employment licence provided that they would have already been participating in the
labour market prior to the commencement of their studies.
Only TCN students holding a residence permit issued under Legal Notice 29 of 2008 are entitled
to take up employment, for a maximum period of ten hours each week as long as they are in
possession of an Employment Licence. Students are not granted licences to take up selfemployment.
TCN students in Malta to study English do not fall under the above legal notice and therefore
the Corporation will not accept applications for issue of an Employment Licence.
Applications for employment licences for students are received from the employer seeking to
recruit the student.
Applications are not accepted in respect of students who are still in their first year of residence
in Malta or who do not have a copy of a student's residence permit issued by the Department of
Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs.

If you know of a legal way around the regulation please give me a PM .

Cheers
Ricky

o dear i dont know about that ... but we have a brazilian girl with us ... she is temporarily here as a student... (even tho she is qualified) .. in the meantime, she is looking for a job... if she gets one, her employer will issue a request for a working permit and she can get things worked out

speaking of jobs, I just put a job posting in the classifieds ... 

** shameless plug

There are a few bars that hire, but mainly in summer

Hello, I want to go to Malta for a masters program. Are non EU students allowed to work part-time?

Hi toniman88,

welcome to the forum.

No.

Only after the first year of study are non-EU students allowed to work part-time.

Cheers
Ricky

You must have a confirmation in writing that you have a job ready in Malta, if I am not mistaken

Hi eilrit,

according to the ETC regulations TCN's studying in Malta are not allowed to work in their first year.

' Only TCN students holding a residence permit issued under Legal Notice 29 of 2008 are entitled to take up employment, for a maximum period of ten hours each week as long as they are in possession of an Employment Licence. Students are not granted licences to take up self-employment.

TCN students in Malta to study English do not fall under the above legal notice and therefore the Corporation will not accept applications for issue of an Employment Licence.

Applications for employment licences for students are received from the employer seeking to recruit the student.

Applications are not accepted in respect of students who are still in their first year of residence in Malta or who do not have a copy of a student's residence permit issued by the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs'

This info is taking from the ETC guidelines.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello Sir,

Kindly note that I am from India and doing job as Commercial and Accounts manager here in India at one of Pvt. Ltd. Company.

Now i am going to get the admission in one of Institute or College in Malta for further study in Finance and Accounts.

I would like request you to inform me whether i can doing Part time work in Malta doing my study?

If yes please let me know the procedure to obtain work permit for the same with how much Hours i can doing job?

Your earliest reply will be highly appreciated.

Kindly  read the the post #37 bhavingandhi

Hi all,

I have just graduated this month. I am also going to move to Malta next two weeks and my visa valid until 31th August, 2014 ( I am non-EU citizen). I dont know whether I can have a permit to work as part time job in Malta? Is it illegal??

Thanks for your comments