Marriage

I'm hoping someone can assist me with getting married in singapore
My girlfriend is Indonesian and Muslim I'm from the uk and no religion,
I've read a few articles but to be honest I find it confusing
I can provide all documents, but do I need translations ? Do we both have to be resident for 15 days? Do I need or we need letters from our embassies etc? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
The other alternative is an Indonesian wedding but I'm aware of the conversation etc and again I've read and heard conflicting information to make this legal

Conversion not conversation doh

Easier to marry in Indonesia or you'll have to do a confirmation thingy if you come here to live.
You need to be of the same religion (or many pretend to be) Converting to Islam is extremely easy.

You will need:
Your birth certificate (Legalised)
A certificate of no impediment from your local registry office (legalised)
Your passport with valid visa.

She will need:
Her birth certificate
Her KTP
Her dad's permission to marry and her dad at the ceremony

Then off you go with registering the marriage at the local office.

UK documents legalised here

https://www.get-document-legalised.serv … ct-service

A local marriage will make life easier with immigration of you decide to live in Indonesia.
As a note, it's a pretty good life here.

The guy we used for our sons birth certificate here has said I need to go to Jakarta to swear an oath etc and return with the letter that the embassay signs I can get my birth certificate from the UK in a few weeks all her documents are in order just one note, both her parents died some years back so could her brother do the fathers job?

You can get someone in the UK to send the birth certificate off for legalisation if it's still in the UK but you'll still need a certificate of no impediment and that has to be legalised.
Perhaps the embassy can arrange that but I have no clue so you'll have to ask them.

Many thanks Fred, the letter of impediment was replaced a couple of years back (spoke with someone in Jakarta from embassay/ consulate) ill be in the uk anyway so I can get my BC but many thanks for letting me know about legalising the paperwork not just translating

I understand a letter of no impediment has a time limit.
I know it's specific to a given couple with intention to marry at a given location.
The couple's names are on there along with the area you will be married and it has to be displayed for 30 days in your registry office before it can be issued.
Something from two years ago will be useless.

This may be of use for others in the near future, received yesterday after my phone conversation, I was also advised to check locally as some areas of Indonesia won't accept anything that is "less" than 3 months old

Thank you for your email.

Please be informed that the requirements and the process needed to get married in Indonesia have now changed.  As of 10/03/2014, British Nationals are not required to apply for a Notice of Intended Marriage and Certificate of No Impediment is no longer produced by British Embassy Consular Section Jakarta nor by our Consulate in Bali.

Thus, Notice of Intended Marriage (NOM) and Certificate of Intended Marriage (CNI) have now been replaced by Statutory Declaration. Therefore, there is no residency requirement and if you have obtained a NOM from another country or a CNI from the UK (although not required anymore), you (the British National) will still need to come in person to apply for a Local Affidavit/Affirmation (Statutory Declaration) in Jakarta/Bali.

The process is as follow:

To complete an Affidavit/Affirmation in Jakarta
1.       Fill in one of the attached documents – you need to choose either the affidavit or the affirmation* (Please type rather than handwrite the document. Do not sign it,  and please save it as a Word version, not PDF)

* The difference between an affidavit and affirmation is that an affidavit requires you to swear the truth of what you state on the basis of your religious belief, whereas making an affirmation requires that you solemnly and sincerely affirm the truth of what you state (i.e. it is not religious).  You need to choose one or the other – they both carry the same weight and authority. The affidavit/affirmation will be in English with a Bahasa Indonesia translation on the reverse side.

Once you have filled the document email the completed Affidavit or Affirmation back to us before your scheduled appointment along with scanned copies of the following documents:
-          Your PASSPORT (data page only)
-          Your Partner's ID (KTP if Indonesian, Passport if other nationality),
-          a DECREE ABSOLUTE / final divorce certificate if you/your partner has previously been married
In April 2015 UK family courts started issuing the decree absolute electronically in PDF document format. If you received your decree absolute after April 2015, you must provide us with the covering e-mail or letter sent by the court or your solicitor. Without this evidence, we will not be able to provide you with the service.
-          a DEED POLL certificate if you/your partner has changed any names
-          a DEATH CERTIFICATE if either partner is a widow / widower.

2.       Please make an appointment here. If you have already booked an appointment with us, please skip this step.

3.       For the cost of this service please refer to Consular Fees for Indonesia.  You may pay by credit card or cash. Due to the fluctuating exchange rate, the fee in IDR is subject to change without prior notice.

The fee is per affirmation/affidavit. If both partners are British Nationals then you both will need to apply for an affidavit/affirmation meaning that you will each need to pay a fee.

4.       Once you receive confirmation from us that your documents are in order please visit the embassy on your scheduled appointment remembering to bring with you ORIGINALS of all the required supporting documents (see step 1).

Additional notes:
·         Your non-British national partner does not need to attend the appointment. However, you are required to bring the ORIGINAL of her/his documentation when coming to the Embassy. If you fail to present the ORIGINAL of all required documents, your service request will be delayed.
·         The process will take approximately 30 minutes and you will be given your Affirmation/Affidavit on the day
·         If you are unable to provide us with a filled in Affidavit/Affirmation form and/or correct documentation ahead of your scheduled appointment time, please reschedule your appointment via the booking link as we will not be able to provide you with the service without these documents.
·         After obtaining your Affidavit/Affirmation you can take forward your marriage arrangements with the relevant Registry Office, Catatan Sipil (Civil Registry Office for non-Moslem marriage) or Kantor Urusan Agama (the Religious Affairs Office for Moslem ceremony) in your local area.

Important:
·         Since March 2014 British Nationals are no longer required to apply for a Notice of Intended Marriage and or Certificate of No Impediment. These have been replaced by the Affidavit/Affirmation. 
·         Please check with the relevant Registry Office, Catatan Sipil (Civil Registry Office for non-Moslem marriage) or Kantor Urusan Agama (the Religious Affairs Office for Moslem ceremony) regarding when you should obtain the affidavit/affirmation.  Some local authorities require the affidavit/affirmation to be dated no earlier than three months before the date of the wedding.
·         You must state the month and year that your wedding will take place.  This will be recorded on the affidavit/affirmation, and you will not be able to change this after the document has been issued.

Wedding place (only the city) and date (only month and year) will be recorded in the Affidavit/Affirmation. Please fill the information on the last paragraph of the form.

Should you have further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Erik
Consular Team
Consular Assistant|Consular Section, The British Embassy Jakarta | Jalan Patra Kuningan Raya Blok L5-6, Jakarta Selatan 12950, Indonesia|(+62 21 2356 5200|Fax : +62 21 398 35538|: www.gov.uk/fco