Conversion of Foreign Driver's License

It appears that JPJ has updated their website and has removed the ability of converting driver's licenses from countries other than the ones that have a two-way agreement with Malaysia. Those countries include:

Australia Iraq Papua New Guinea Belgium    Italy    France Holland    Japan    Poland
Brunei    German    Russia China    Korea    Spain Denmark    Laos    Singapore
Fiji    Libya    Switzerland Philippines    Mauritius    Thailand Finland    Egypt    Turkey
Hong Kong    New Zealand    Taiwan Iran    Nigeria    

Notice the USA and UK are not on the list. However, they allow people to continue to drive on their home license as long as it's still valid. My guess is that's the new ruling, although I have not seen an official announcement. I posted a while back about my friend that kept rejecting his license conversion and they kept making up reasons to reject it, now it appears that JPJ was simply stalling until the new rules were in place. The current director made up his mind to not convert licenses from any country that didn't convert Malaysian licenses, and they were going to reject anyone for whatever reason they could come up with until the rules were in place.

Actually further digging on the side shows it's still there, but hidden under several layers.

The site that's upfront Acceptance of Foreign Drivers' License does not mention the old category B.

However upon digging into the site further I found an article titled "Application to Convert a Foreign Driving License into a Malaysian Driving License by Exemption of Rule 5(3) of the Rules of Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) 1992 (Non-Automatic)."  Link to article that gives the procedure. However I had to dig for for the information, it's not real easy to find.

I'll continue to dig into this issue, since my friend still needs to convert his license and at 58 years old is not really keen to go back to driving school after driving for 42 years.

Yes, the information seems to be contradictory in terms of countries being mentioned both under Pursuant to Section 28 of APJ 1987 and Exemption of Rule 5(3) of the Rules of Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) 1992 (Non-Automatic).

This year 2021, how's the convertion of foreign drivers to local drivers license?

Hello Lena_vidad,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

I invite you to create a new thread on the Malaysia forum to ask your question as this one is quite old.

Best luck,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.