Living in Paris

You are an expatriate living in Paris, or you used to  work and live in Paris.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Paris?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Paris?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Paris?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Can anyone tell me what living in Paris is like? I am self employed, so I have no problems taking my work with me. I am now divorced and live alone and just a bit nervous about leaving everyone behind in the UK to live in Paris on my own when I do not know anyone there. I am thinking of moving there around May/June. What are the people like in Paris. I am not used to large cities, at the moment I live near Hull - which is a small friendly city.

I'm sorry to say Paris isn't what you could describe as a friendly city, unless you're as fluent as the French in their language, and then again.........No, the Northern French (Paris is in the northern half of France) make friends extremely slowly, but once that has happened, they're your friends for life. The southern French on the other hand open up almost instantly, but their friendship is iften quite shallow and superficial. Of course, there are exceptions on both sides.

Another thing in May/June, particularly the second month, you'll be in the tourist season. Loads of Britishers, Americans, Japanese and others. The real Parisian would have headed elsewhere on vacation. At that time, please don't mistake the Parisian staying on to please the foreigners as the 'Real Parisian'. Wait till August/September to find that out.

I know i'm being negative and to the point. But you're coming from a small friendly city (I know what that means, I've had that experience too) and i don't want you to have any illusions/delusions of Paris.

That said, there are some 'populist' areas which are friendlier than others.

Note that Paris divided into 20 'arrondissements' or areas.

I'll list some of these 'more friendly' areas:

Butte aux Cailles - 75013, i.e., in the 13th 'arrondissement'

The chinese triangle, also in the 13th arrondissement, bounded by Avenue d'Italie on the West, Boulevard Vincent Auriol on the North, Rue Nationale on the East and Boulevard Massena on the South - and concentrated in the area known as the 'Olympiades', a cluster of 10 skyscrapers + 4 peripheral ones.

Montmartre - 75018, where several artists live, pretty unsafe in parts at night, though.

Several parts of the 19th arrondissement, for example along the Rue des Pyrennees.

The 4th arrondissement, particularly closer to the Jewish quarter - Rue des Rosiers

I hope I've partly answered your question.

An Indian who's lived half his life in Paris @ 'so many months'/year!

I left the UK (was self-employed) and came to Paris over a year ago. I was lucky that my partner was Parisian so got to know her friends, who are very nice, but largely expats themselves from places like Italy and Brazil. People aren't always that friendly, although once they recognise you, they become much friendlier with time - if at the local La Poste, they come over and shake my hand. One of the friendliest people I've met yet moved into our apartment recently, but turns out he's originally from Egypt and is a professional musician. I know a couple of Parisians who are nice, but otherwise I'm a bit alienated to the Parisian culture.

Hi everyone!
I'm stuck in Paris with 2 tickets for elton john concert tomorrow in London, anyone interested here or in london?????? send me a message! [email protected]

I think Paris is a nice place to visit, but a terrible place to settle down in. Just my opinion! :)

I live here 6 months and I am very disappointed in people,how cold they are and not polite.
Any advices for learning french but not private classes please?

Its so cool to kive in paris .spesially evening  is so romantic and beautiful.residence is expenseve .but other wise its normally.i like trensport in patis very muxh.

No orignal french people is polite and helpful for me in my experience

I love "Paris"

@ parisebook > Maybe you can tell us more about what you like about Paris ;) This information might help some members in their decision about expatriating in Paris.

Thanks

Priscilla