Wild Hog in Aguadilla

A couple of wild hogs in some part of Aguadilla are terrorizing the Urbanizacion, not sure how they end up in PR. None of the goverment agencies want to deal with them.
In another neighborhood there would be a nice roast pig block party, no sure why they have not dealt with it, maybe too many nice people moved there.

Even DNR wants nothing to do with it.
A nice block party will erase the evidence :whistle:https://www.facebook.com/prinforma/post … 9226257802

They'd be on a spit faster that you could whistle dixie here in Georgia, and have..

I'm sure I could make a few side dishes that pair nicely with roasted pig!

:lol:

Javelina in Aquadilla?   wow, we need to go hunting! 

Back in Texas, they were considered major pests, the farmers hate them.

The farmers did not ate them?
Did you bring them in a suitcase to PR Sitka?

Below my farm where the river is I see plenty of  feral pig hoof prints. My neighbors trap them live with bananas in cages with trap doors

LOL  -  as I recall, the farmers regarded them as a destructive nuisance
they would root up the crops in the field and make a big mess.   Most framers would be happy to have hunters blast the daylights out of them.   Don't recall them having a Javelina roast - perhaps the wild pig is not good to eat?

I had them before in Brownsville Texas and it was a little game my but good specially in corn tortillas

Thats one wild meat I haven't tried.   (I did try some warthog when on safari in South Africa, it was surprisingly good )   Saw a few Javelina down on the bayou in east Texas, some had wicked looking tusks.  Have been told that a large boar with tusks can be a dangerous encounter.

Sitka wrote:

Thats one wild meat I haven't tried.   (I did try some warthog when on safari in South Africa, it was surprisingly good )   Saw a few Javelina down on the bayou in east Texas, some had wicked looking tusks.  Have been told that a large boar with tusks can be a dangerous encounter.

Yes it's like a bull with its horns but they start on you around the legs and groin, they will shred you if they can. After they get you down they may have a snack.

Let's talk about the important items...   Wine or Beer with wild hog??

Hmmm...how about a Texas Shiner!

Thought Shiner is a town in TX?

Welcome Marie to our side of the Caribbean, how are things with your search in the Dominican Republic?
Thanks for stopping by. I assume you still doing your visit to Condado and other areas mid June?

yup, the  brand "Shiner" is brewed at the Spotzl brewery in Shiner Texas, best bock beer in America! :D

Yes, we will be in Condado from mid June thru mid July.  We are going to head over to DR in mid August.  We are very excited!!  What time will the pig be ready, I hate to be late for dinner!!

Ahhhh  if I am ever that way, I will have to give it a try!

Marie Golak wrote:

Let's talk about the important items...   Wine or Beer with wild hog??

Strong red, Bourgogne I'd suggest. :)

The other white meat, so white wine
My plate https://www.bing.com/images/search?view … edIndex=13

For me I prefer a Glass of Mavi, Tamarindo or a Malta with my dinner. I just love Mavi, hard to find sometimes in PR unlike in the old times.

My wife gave me mavi... she loves it, but I disliked it... greatly!  On the pig story; domestic pigs can grow tusks and look like "wild hogs", in a matter of 2 generations.

Good point Mac

mac00677 wrote:

My wife gave me mavi... she loves it, but I disliked it... greatly!  On the pig story; domestic pigs can grow tusks and look like "wild hogs", in a matter of 2 generations.

didn't know that - I have been told that even domestic hogs are dangerous, especially when big.

I don't care for it either.

Sitka wrote:
mac00677 wrote:

didn't know that - I have been told that even domestic hogs are dangerous, especially when big.

I don't care for it either.

Easy problem to fix and yummy.

Domestic dogs can be dangerous, if not trained, or just plain ignored. I have never liked the pitbull breed, but I now have two, and they are so sweet, loving, and loyal. The Chihuahua (not sure I spelled that correctly), mix (also a rescue) is the "mean" one, he nips at the larger dogs, and he thinks he's the boss of the pack, but I am actually the Alpha! Dogs need "Rules, Boundaries, and Limitatons", as Cesar Milan says. I've had dogs all my life, but these are my first "pits". As I've said before, I've got 5 rescues, and they are all obedient, and loving dogs. I would not have a dog that is dangerous.

Back on the pig situation; that one on FB looks small, I'll dig up a pic of the one found roaming in my neighborhood, in Guayama, and my 17lb Jack Russell (not a rescue, he was a purebred, I brought with me to PR, and has since passed), was with hair raised along his back, and he was strutting all around that hog, growling... it was a sight. The 300lb+ hog was ignoring him; I saw her months later, in the nearby river, with three babies.

Agreed on the problem of wild boar, and the solutions proposed.  One of the problems (and I'm really hoping to avoid a political exchange) is that guns, especially long guns, are heavily restricted on the island.  I wouldn't want to tussle with a boar from close range.

I'll also point out that they are something of a nuisance on Mona.  The DNR issues a few permits each year to keep the numbers down. 

http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues … ck-en.html

Oh, I'm wondering how it would go with a Tempranillo.

Hunting in PR is very regulated and not cheap. Just to own a gun you need to have a gun license, either a shooting range permit or a carry permit. For hunting, you need a hunting permit on top of that plus have a permit from DRN to hunt. So not many folks can afford to have legally own guns.
Now, if you want an ilegal gun they're a dime a dozen!

Bureocracy at its best!! :mad:

Hmmm... any bow hunters in PR?

We've seen dead wild pigs alongside the road on 116.  Don't know how they got there either... Never have seen any baboons, although we keep looking.

Get on top of that as soon as I return , compound bow is legal island wide , :):top:

Fortunately laws are changing , and if you already have concealed carry , from mainland, makes the transition much easier.
Be careful with some of the Armories they just want $400 , and that is as far as it will go. :(

I'm with you Rey...wonder why the community hasn't taken action in the way of a roast?!

:) Better chance of seeing a python , someone flushed down there toilet 10 years before :)
But so many snakes now the mongoose "smelly squirrel" population has rebounded from the edge of extinction.

This is an old post I assumes somebody did a BBQ by now with it.

Yup , Funny I know plenty of old timers on the rock that hunt anywhere they want with an old shotgun. UR right they be on the Lechon spit by now .

Guess its time for a few new post here  ;)

Slightly off topic, but what kind of local/nativewood is suitable for grilling or lechon?
My friends bbq in PR but use gas.
I want to build a wood burning brasa at my house, but not sure about the wood.

Charcoal or guava wood works well, remember it needs to cook very slowly and for a long time (Whole pig about 10 hours) so indirect heat, it needs to sweat out most of the fat, put charcoal behind or in front, not directly underneath.
They sell sacks of charcoal made in PR.

For a stove, where you just put a skillet or pot on top, any wood will do (no paint) including leftovers from a house.

For broiling only the best, something that will not be bitter or impart a strange flavor.

They also sell a vegetable charcoal (Carbon); http://www.dulcerodrigues.info/plantas/ … al_uk.html