From London to Budapest

Hi everyone,

We are due to move in 3months from London to Budapest. We still haven't got a place! It will be greatly appreciated if any of you can recommend a reliable estate agent. We are aiming to settle around district 1 and 2 or anywhere around the vicinity.

What is the reason for your move, work or pleasure? I guess you will be wanting to rent because 3 months isn't very long to buy a property.

Have you considered AirBnB? You can then look for a place while you are in the city to your needs and tastes.

Good Luck

SimCityAT
Expat.com Experts Team

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. What I meant is that we are moving to Budapest around August and will settle there for at least 18months (based on our work contract).

Mary

amary89 wrote:

Hi everyone,

We are due to move in 3months from London to Budapest. We still haven't got a place! It will be greatly appreciated if any of you can recommend a reliable estate agent. We are aiming to settle around district 1 and 2 or anywhere around the vicinity.

Really? 

It would be helpful if you said something about your requirements.  Do you have kids? Do you want city living?  Schools? Interests? Country or urban or city?  Package with corporate expenses or individual expenses only? Budget?  Speak Hungarian? Just English Etc.

District 1 is the castle area -  no parking.

District 2 is burbs but hilly.

So please let's be more specific....

Hi Fluffy,

Did not know that my post will cause such distress to you :) That is why I asked if anybody is kind enough to recommend an estate agent and then we can discuss personal matters to them directly ;)

Hungarian partner- but he never lived in Hungary. He's in aviation industry and I am in private sector  but it will be on our own expense. We are focusing  around Buda-close to the International Schools for our daughter.

amary89 wrote:

Hi Fluffy,

Did not know that my post will cause such distress to you :) That is why I asked if anybody is kind enough to recommend an estate agent and then we can discuss personal matters to them directly ;)

Hungarian partner- but he never lived in Hungary. He's in aviation industry and I am in private sector  but it will be on our own expense. We are focusing  around Buda-close to the International Schools for our daughter.

Well, imagine, lots of people post here asking for help but provide no details at all. So no-one knows how to help and cannot offer more targeted and appropriate advice. 

You could just randomly stick a pin in the phone book.  Estate agents here aren't up to much hereabouts and most would agree, mostly untrustworthy.

So if I were you, I'd focus on the area, then check the web sites for properties.  If other half speaks Hungarian, you are at an advantage. People don't want to pay agents here and you'd have to sign a contract for 3 years with an emergency get out clause. And there's a deposit - couple of months rent usually.

So presumably your other half wants to get to say,  the airport and you want somewhere central within easy reach of public transport and close to the schools (bilingual daughter? age?).  Parking is terrible in Budapest.  The only option for the airport is driving.   So I presume you have a car. Larger schools for internationals tend to be in Districts 2, 3 and 12.   From District 1, it'd take you some time to get to school.

So, please have a go at Ingatlanok.hu and see what you can find.

Hi Fluffy,

I completely understand where you coming from and I really appreciate your help.

Re: Estate agents. I am surprised about what you wrote, I am expecting them to be at least like the ones we have here in the UK (well, the reputable ones) I've been looking at ingatlan too but the advertisers are not particularly responsive.

My husband speaks hungarian very well but unfortunately his rota is rather proving difficult and I have to do the scheduling of meetings (to view properties, for the move, for daughter's trial day at schools) etc so he can request for his duty days to be changed and be my handy translator.

Our daughter, unfortunately only speaks English. Thus, we decided to put her in an International School. We were given space at ISB and Britannica. It will just be a matter of choosing which has a higher standard of teaching.

He does drive but he has to be within 1hour away from the airport as the job requires.

We've been visiting Budapest regularly but never  stayed longer than 2weeks. Going there as a tourist I was never bothered about the traffic during rush hour but that is now something we have to consider. Staying on the Buda side will be ideal for school drop offs but will be a pain for my husband if he has to go to the airport at odd times.

You have moved from UK to Budapest right?  Did you use any of English or Europeans Company to move your stuffs? I've been looking for movers but they are quoting me differently and haven't got a clue what is the actual or near the reasonable price for the service is. We live in Richmond Upon Thames.

The Estate agents in Europe are totally different to the UK. You might get some similar one in Spain where you get a high number of British Expats and the agent is a Brit themselves.

Anyway I will leave it to Fluffy2560

amary89 wrote:

...You have moved from UK to Budapest right?  Did you use any of English or Europeans Company to move your stuffs? I've been looking for movers but they are quoting me differently and haven't got a clue what is the actual or near the reasonable price for the service is. We live in Richmond Upon Thames.

Long time ago I came here.  Been here on and off since 1994 with long periods (years) in country.   Mrs Fluffy is Hungarian. I'm from Surrey.   The main active people in this forum are all long term residents of Hungary.

I originally used a French moving company called AGS who were OK but they lost/stole one item of considerable value and I never received anything for it in compensation. Since then I've done a lot of moving just myself,  Mrs Fluffy, the in-laws and some friends. From the UK, probably not practical.  I've also used an Irish company to shift specific things like very heavy car spares picked up in Germany and a German company to ship large heavy IT gear from the UK.  These worked perfectly and were not so expensive.  But shipping only.

If you live in Richmond then presumably you'll be affluent by local standards.  I'd set your budget first.    If your other half is driving in the early hours (before 7am) to the airport, then it should be easy to get there.  It takes me about 1h to get to the airport from where I am (Budakeszi).  Indeed, I will be driving there soon at 4am. I do not drive around the M0 - I drive directly through the centre of the town or I can cut through  skirting the edge of the town.  Everything can go wrong if there's an accident or roadworks on the airport road.  The design of it is ludicrous.

As for estate agents, everyone here will suggest avoiding them.  They are in no way comparable to the UK versions.  No-one wants to pay them here and mostly they are all up to no good.  Most of them will lie through their teeth to get a sale as they are working on a commission.

If you had not already found it, there is a list of real estate agents right here at this site:

https://www.expat.com/en/business/europ … -agencies/

That being said:

amary89 wrote:

Re: Estate agents. I am surprised about what you wrote, I am expecting them to be at least like the ones we have here in the UK

Number 1 mistake expats make coming to Hungary: expecting things to be like at home.

We have all been there. How much you actually experience such differences will depend on how much you interact with local society versus mostly only interacting with other expats (i.e. the size of your expat bubble).

amary89 wrote:

(well, the reputable ones)

I have to concur with Fluffy on this point: finding one of those in Hungary is difficult.

Even if you are happy with the results (and more cash you spend, the easier things often go), that might also simply mean you were not aware of how much you were taken in.  ;)

A coat of fresh paint hides a lot of sins (and bad plumbing is even easier to hide).

amary89 wrote:

I've been looking at ingatlan too but the advertisers are not particularly responsive.

Yep, not being responsive is SOP here in many issues. You may even setup a meeting and they are a no-show. Or they actually did show up, but walked by you and just did not like your "look".

hi ksallee,

I've been a regular visitor of Budapest and Hungary in general, going there 4-5times a year since 2012. I always had the impression that they (the people I had interactions with) are nice. Well, as nice as they can be for a tourist who spends and tip. I always have the reservations if they will treat me the same if I would be a resident :P

I would appreciate any insight from expats like mr.fluffy who lived there for ages! really, any advice for newbie like myself will make such a difference. Although, I would love to think that I can "integrate" with local I also know that it is not that easy. That's why to start with I am taking as much wisdom on board from people who have more experience.

Looking on properties: I just haven't got a clue what is the acceptable renting (for the time being) is. Some property I found on the Buda side close to the International Schools are ranging from 250,000 - 450, 000 for a minimum of 3bedroom. That though contradicts being on the Pest side around district 16 (closer to the airport) for nearly the same price range but it seems to me that there is nothing around that area (point of reference is google street view).

Agents: that is shocking! You cannot just "snob" or "ditch" a meeting because of the looks :O To be honest I thought I would be in safer hands with an agency (you're right we think it works just like home)
because it is somehow registered, regulated and monitored and all the consumer rights blah blah blah

If anybody can please give an example of reasonable rent ( I know this depends on how much we can afford but it will be helpful to be paying just like how much a local would be wiling to pay for a property) How much does a local is willing to spend for a 3bedroom property in Buda side or Pest side? specific district too or recommended district for expats to live?

Another one thing I am worried about, my daughter she is 8year old turning nine. She does quite a few extra curricular activities here. Monday Karate, Tuesday Violin, Wednesday Karate, Thursday Badminton and Orchestra and Friday Tennis and Violin. I managed to find a possible private violin teacher for her to continue lessons ( which is not surprising as music is a big part of Hungarian's life). Now, I am not sure if I am getting it wrong but sports clubs aside from the one that are run by the private schools seems to be 'fixed' at a certain complex? meaning it is not like (again, home) that you can leave your child in school and even external clubs conduct the activities in school premises and you come collect them little ones after all the activity? am i missing something?

Ohhhhh and most of all. I read that I have to get a resident certificate. My partner holds an EU passport, so he is not in 'trouble' but my daughter and I holds multiple but we are using the UK one. I know that I have to show like a proof of address of some sort, proof of being capable on financing ourselves but then the last one the "comprehensive medical insurance" how does that work? My partner is hired based on being a "local" the contract he has with the airline says we are covered for medical insurance. Is that enough to prove the registry or they would require me to have a separate that would clearly state the word "comprehensive"

With the insurance and residency application, the EHIC is all that is needed.

amary89 wrote:

....Another one thing I am worried about, my daughter she is 8year old turning nine. She does quite a few extra curricular activities here. Monday Karate, Tuesday Violin, Wednesday Karate, Thursday Badminton and Orchestra and Friday Tennis and Violin. I managed to find a possible private violin teacher for her to continue lessons ( which is not surprising as music is a big part of Hungarian's life). Now, I am not sure if I am getting it wrong but sports clubs aside from the one that are run by the private schools seems to be 'fixed' at a certain complex? meaning it is not like (again, home) that you can leave your child in school and even external clubs conduct the activities in school premises and you come collect them little ones after all the activity? am i missing something? ..

Wow, do you think she's busy enough?  When does she get chance to just chill out, play and hang around with some friends?   

Usually you have to take your child to activities.  They could be anywhere including at the school.  My own kids are in the Hungarian school.  It's really intense in school in Hungary - long hours and homework (my son has homework and he's only 7).  Anyway, they were just exhausted.  So they gave up a couple of activities because they'd had enough.  It wasn't possible to dash between multiple places all the time either. Getting from one place to another just takes too long. Even in the same town.

Now it's summer (sort of), they spend most of the time playing in the garden with the other kids from the area and messing around with their pets.  They were building a wigwam in the garden a while ago with about 3 other kids.

hi fluffy,

I can only assume that you know how does our school works over here, drop off at 8:30am and finishes at 3:15pm it will be impossible for me to collect her on time unless A. I will hire a nanny - which I don't agree, she'll be stuck in isolation not to mention a nanny cost  more than a club or B. let her join an after school club i.e Karate, Badminton and Tennis where she gets to have fun with her friends in school and I can come and collect her at 4:45pm,.Oh yeah they only get 2homework a week- yup, 2! They even want to get rid of homework! She has no problem spending time with friends on occasional weekends (well, it is not just because she has activities to do, but if you still have a kid here you will understand. Most families are way too busy with their respective lives and to arrange a playdate it has to be scheduled a week or so advanced!!!!!) I have the weekend off so I do make the most out of it and we spend time as family.

amary89 wrote:

drop off at 8:30am and finishes at 3:15pm it will be impossible for me to collect her on time unless A. I will hire a nanny - which I don't agree, she'll be stuck in isolation not to mention a nanny cost  more than a club or B. let her join an after school club i.e Karate, Badminton and Tennis where she gets to have fun with her friends in school and I can come and collect her at 4:45pm

My wife and I do not have children, so take what I say as mostly generic info. (But my wife does work indirectly in education here in Hungary)

First off, national law (last time I checked) requires students to be in school until 4:00 PM here. I assume (but do not know) that even foreign expat school are suppose to (in theory) follow that requirement (some Hungarian schools even have problems following the law  because of shortage of money and staff). But if not, it will be difficult to find external clubs to fill in any time gap for obvious reasons (too few students from Hungarian schools available to participate).

Otherwise, I expect you have already coordinated with the schools you have contacted regarding after school activities. You may have difficulty getting much beyond that. You have to remember this is a poor country. Few parents have disposable cash to pay for extra lessons like Karate so the rules of economics will come into play. You may find an afternoon Karate class, but it may be across town and in a different place than the Badminton club in another part of town. Travel to each alone would probably chew up most of the time between end of school and when you can pick your daughter up.

Also, I do travel by bus a lot. And morning and afternoon buses are full of children. I only know one parent here who actually drops off and picks up their child from school. Children here are pretty self sufficient, many have their own key to their house (both parents work), and are not always being supervised by adults. And Hungary is pretty safe for them to travel to school alone.

In short, you may luck out and fill up your daughter's after school schedule, but plan "A" may also be needed at least some days, and at least to start, if you wish constant adult supervision.

Finally, even with a full schedule, there is often no replacement or backup if the teacher is sick or otherwise can not appear for the a scheduled private activity. And it simply does not take place. Often without warning or prior notification. You have to always be ready for such uncertainties here. You are responsible for having a "Plan B, C, D and F", not them (and that even includes a nanny).

amary89 wrote:

hi fluffy,

I can only assume that you know how does our school works over here, drop off at 8:30am and finishes at 3:15pm it will be impossible for me to collect her on time unless A. I will hire a nanny - which I don't agree, she'll be stuck in isolation not to mention a nanny cost  more than a club or B. let her join an after school club i.e Karate, Badminton and Tennis where she gets to have fun with her friends in school and I can come and collect her at 4:45pm,.Oh yeah they only get 2homework a week- yup, 2! They even want to get rid of homework! She has no problem spending time with friends on occasional weekends (well, it is not just because she has activities to do, but if you still have a kid here you will understand. Most families are way too busy with their respective lives and to arrange a playdate it has to be scheduled a week or so advanced!!!!!) I have the weekend off so I do make the most out of it and we spend time as family.

I was entirely educated in the UK albeit a long time ago so I remember the system from then.

Anyway, it sounds like these activities are a form of babysitting/kid minding.   It isn't the same here. 

School hours in Hungary (at least in the public sector) are very different.  I cannot say anything about the private system in Hungary other than observations of in-laws etc. 

Here in the state system (and presumably the international schools as per law), your daughter would be in "middle school" and would have hours of about 08h - 13h, sometimes a bit longer, until 14h.  The state schools, operate "afternoon school" for kids whose parents are busy and working that does indeed run until 16h or even a bit later - it's activities rather than academic stuff.   

Because of the early start, kids have to get up early.   We have to drive 8km to the school so this takes 30-40 mins in the morning including queueing in traffic.  So they need to be underway by 0715h at the latest to make sure they can make it by about 0750h ready for the first lesson at 08h.    Basically, it's all shifted back 1h compared to the UK. 

To attend school in HU (in the state system) the kid has to be of a certain weight (big enough to carry the bag with all the books in - heavy!) and must also be vaccinated.  They need a doctors certificate as well for it. Presumably the same in the private schools.

At age 9, she could probably navigate the public transport.  We see kids all the time walking home or on buses with heavy bags.  Mainly from about age 11, they are on their own for ages. It's pretty safe although obviously some common sense is needed (short supply in some kids including mine).

The workload is intense.  They have  homework every day and it has to be ready the next day.  My son is very stressed by it as he's only 7 and the intensity of it is tiring him out.  It's not "play" for him.  Our 11 year old daughter is similarly overloaded but she's clearly academically oriented and finds it all relatively easy (especially English - she's better obviously than her teacher).  My son is doing German in school and already seems to know stuff beyond my understanding.  He is of course bilingual in English and Hungarian.  My daughter is completely bi-lingual but she's also nearly 12 and at "that age" and driving us mad.

Even so, sometimes they are crying because it's just too much work for them and they just cannot handle the strain of it.  They are exhausted. We worry about them not having time to decompress so we let them have time off. So we don't overload them with other stuff unless they want it.   

On the other hand, the education system in Hungary I would actually say is better than the UK results wise even if the resources are not the same.  They are much more rigid in their teaching that the UK. It's much more formal than learning by play. 

BTW, relations with other parents is vital as I notice Mrs Fluffy has many contacts through the children and has made a lot of friends she can give and receive favours.  We've also made many social contacts through the school.  Mrs Fluffy doesn't work but we have some of our own major projects going on - we've been building a house. She's fully occupied on that while not engaged in domestic things and kids.

Oh, and before I forget, there was (or is) a rule that kids have to do a sport for about 2h or so a week outside the school curriculum.  This can be anything on the list.  Horse riding is very popular in Hungary (but costs of course).  But it can be anything.

fluffy2560 wrote:

They are much more rigid in their teaching that the UK. It's much more formal than learning by play.

Yes, didactics, from what I have heard, are mostly old style forward teaching in Hungary.

The problem that we have here in the UK (but of course refuse to admit) is that we bubble wrap our kids. Parents does not have a say, government does! My daughter is excellent academically and doing great with her extra curricular activities but she is not independent enough to even go to school by herself. Well, it is not her fault, 99% of the children here are being walk/drive to school and obviously collected. The school will not release them unless it is a relative or a known friends but even so you have to formally notify the office. Waking up early is not an issue as she has a strong sense of self discipline. You are right Mr. Fluffy, after school club in here is used a child minding more than anything else just to bridge that gap with working hour issues. Bags: what I observed is that kids here does not really bring anything as most of the school stuffs are provided by the school and left there. Most child carries a water bottle, a pack lunch if they are not paying for school meal and whatever they wish to bring i.e personal notebook, reading books, special pens... but guess what ? parents still carry their bag! If my daughter will be able to stay at least until I will finish work then there is no need for overloaded schedule. The school here does not give enough homework and does not obviously care about parents who are working. So the last resort is for us working people to get a nanny or put a child to an after school club just to give them enough activities otherwise they will get bored with life!

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

They are much more rigid in their teaching that the UK. It's much more formal than learning by play.

Yes, didactics, from what I have heard, are mostly old style forward teaching in Hungary.

Yup, that's it.   Very fixed and structured.

We're very liberal so we're somewhat surprised by all this.  We give our kids a lot of freedom compared to others from what I can see.

amary89 wrote:

The problem that we have here in the UK (but of course refuse to admit) is that we bubble wrap our kids. Parents does not have a say, government does! My daughter is excellent academically and doing great with her extra curricular activities but she is not independent enough to even go to school by herself. .....Well, it is not her fault, 99% of the children here are being walk/drive to school and obviously collected. The school will not release them unless it is a relative or a known friends but even so you have to formally notify the office. ....kids here does not really bring anything as most of the school stuffs are provided by the school and left there. Most child carries a water bottle, a pack lunch if they are not paying for school meal and whatever they wish to bring i.e personal notebook, reading books, special pens... but guess what ? parents still carry their bag! ....

Your daughter could probably manage if there were other kids going in the same direction or picked up by the same bus (that's possible with private schools).  Mrs Fluffy used to go alone 200+ km across country by train to meet her grandparents.   And she was only 8!  I used to go to school alone on the bus - only about 7km. I was about 9 or 10 when I started that.  But it was a different age.  There are risks here in Hungary but they are nothing like the risks in the UK.  That's not any reason not to apply the same level of vigilance.  One never knows so plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Winter is a challenge of a similar kind to the UK - short days, dark and rainy and very cold (-10 C often) weather.  Needs decent gear.

Everything comes home in the bag - nothing stays here except in kindergarten. You take only the books and gear used on the day including possibly lunch and a snack.  Plus sports gear. The reason why the parents carry them here is that they are heavy.  Kid of 7 cannot carry heavy bags for miles.   They can also carry a mobile (my kids are not allowed phones in school).

The same security arrangements apply in Hungarian state schools.  In my own kids school, there's a door security person and the place is full of cameras. The kids parents must be known to the teacher and the people in the office.  And everything is checked by phone as well.

As for minding activities, you could probably use the school service.  If it's a private school, then I suppose they'll do just about anything for you if money is involved.

I don't know about being bored.  I never have time to be bored. And neither do my kids as we've always got something on. Mrs Fluffy is complaining she never has any free time.   We went to Austria for a night so we could go to a theme park a couple of weeks ago.  First time in ages we managed to do something not domestically related for months.

Anyway, I once heard a radio programme that being bored sometimes is good.  If someone is bored, they need to think about something to do that interests them. They can get creative.

I would say that living in a house with a garden is really useful during the summer.  We've acquired some chicks (which will be chickens of course) recently and there's talk of a dog (we've already got the dog house - they bagged it from the neighbours).  I am resisting the dog as it'll be like having another child to care for.  And one that never grows up, vets bills, food etc.

If we are to stay in Budapest longer than 18months I would love to put my daughter in a local public school to integrate faster but unfortunatley it is unknown. My partner can be easily assign to Prague which means another move. So, for the time being, putting or daughter to an English school is the only realistic plan. Is there any area where expats particulary settle in Budapest?

amary89 wrote:

If we are to stay in Budapest longer than 18months I would love to put my daughter in a local public school to integrate faster but unfortunatley it is unknown. My partner can be easily assign to Prague which means another move. So, for the time being, putting or daughter to an English school is the only realistic plan. Is there any area where expats particulary settle in Budapest?

Yes, district XII (12) and the bordering districts of 2, 2a and 3.   Some other places like Torokbalint and Budakeszi.  Embassies and residences etc are in these districts.  District XII has always been the "diplomatic" area.

We live in Budakeszi which is over the hill further away from Budapest but we're within 300m of the Budapest city limits (of District XII) and this means we have Budapest city buses.  It still only takes 20 minutes to get to Moscow Square and the metro. Our place is 200m from a "two ticket" bus stop and 400m from a "single ticket" city bus stop. Bear in mind, it's hilly in Buda.  Winter can be a problem if it's snowy and icy.   Even if you cannot use your car, public transport on main routes (bus lines) etc will always run.    Public transport would be a Plan B.  We chose where to live based on alternatives if something goes wrong. We are walking distance to the supermarket. Again, Plan B if something goes wrong (bad weather, illness, car broken etc).   As was said by me and others, always best to have Plan Bs for everything in Hungary.  You never know what is going to nobble you here.

Britannia and SEK International schools are all around District XII. 

Not very relevant to this conversation but just to be complete, the American school is not practical (as it's miles away out of town and not really accessible). I believe it's incredibly pricey. There's a large fancy French school out the same way. There's a Jewish school as well but I think it's Hungarian language.  There's a state school which is bilingual in District XII as well but we visited and we thought it was run down and scruffy. We decided against that one.

thanks for the info Mr.Fluffy!

hello,

Can anybody please tell me how much is the minimum wage in Budapest ? or living wage? nanny fee/hr ? Do I have to pay the nanny a minimum wage or a living wage or is it negotiable? Is there any legislation that I have to follow when hiring a nanny? Anything specific I have to ask for the job, like here in the UK they have to be DBS checked and ideally has a First Aid training or sometimes Ofsted register.

We used Abels to move our stuff from the UK, it wasn't a full load so not particularly lucrative for them but nevertheless they were brilliant!

amary89 wrote:

Can anybody please tell me how much is the minimum wage in Budapest ? or living wage? nanny fee/hr ?

Yes, there is a national minimum wage:

http://www.wageindicator.org/main/salar … ge/hungary

amary89 wrote:

Do I have to pay the nanny a minimum wage or a living wage or is it negotiable?

Generically: you should pay the minimum wage or you break the law.

amary89 wrote:

Is there any legislation that I have to follow when hiring

Oh, good grief yes. Hiring anyone full time in Hungary (legally - I am not talking about the all too common black market) can be a paperwork mine field.

Hiring someone part time can be easier, but there are also laws there too. The most simple one is someone you contract to do work who is not an employee must give you an official receipt for any transaction (such a receipt is a pre-printed form and has their tax number on it). Unless you are registered with the tax office to self report or withhold taxes for part time workers, no receipt, and you are instantly in the black market.

It is often easier to stay within the bounds of the law here (but more expensive) to contract with a company that provides local services (and yes, they should give you a receipt too).

See, as one source*, for nanny services in Budapest: angloinfo.com

* Not a personal recommendation, just a source anyone can find on the Internet, and I do not know how up to date this list is, nor which if any of the services businesses listed are still in business: service businesses come and go rapidly here.

klsallee wrote:
amary89 wrote:

Can anybody please tell me how much is the minimum wage in Budapest ? or living wage? nanny fee/hr ?

Yes, there is a national minimum wage:

http://www.wageindicator.org/main/salar … ge/hungary

amary89 wrote:

Do I have to pay the nanny a minimum wage or a living wage or is it negotiable?

Generically: you should pay the minimum wage or you break the law.

amary89 wrote:

Is there any legislation that I have to follow when hiring

Oh, good grief yes. Hiring anyone full time in Hungary (legally - I am not talking about the all too common black market) can be a paperwork mine field.

Hiring someone part time can be easier, but there are also laws there too. The most simple one is someone you contract to do work who is not an employee must give you an official receipt for any transaction (such a receipt is a pre-printed form and has their tax number on it). Unless you are registered with the tax office to self report or withhold taxes for part time workers, no receipt, and you are instantly in the black market.

It is often easier to stay within the bounds of the law here (but more expensive) to contract with a company that provides local services (and yes, they should give you a receipt too).

See, as one source*, for nanny services in Budapest: angloinfo.com

* Not a personal recommendation, just a source anyone can find on the Internet, and I do not know how up to date this list is, nor which if any of the services businesses listed are still in business: service businesses come and go rapidly here.

WOW :O it all sounds even more complicated than I thought it would be. Thank you for the information!

My old friend here in Budapest had her 8 year old boy in the American school for a couple of years, her wealthy In-laws here in Budapest paid school fees as well as the rent on her apt. which was well over $1,000 in Buda 10 years ago.
The other relations had a huge issue with the grandfather paying for everything so she had to take her son out of the American school and  place him in the Jewish school.
Her 2 sons were born in Hungary but as she was American and her husband was from Canada but of Hungarian decent, she never spoke Hungarian in the home and her boys didn't speak any Hungarian even though they were born here in Budapest.
It wasn't all that easy to get him in that school, she had to get a ton of paperwork from her parents in the US to prove she was Jewish.
The director of the Jewish school wouldn't even look at her until she had those papers in hand.  After she actually could prove she was Jewish, they were very kind.The lessons were held in Hebrew,
She moved back to Canada where her Hungarian husband was from because her son was losing his mind at age 8 with all the languages he was suppose to know. First he needed to understand HU then Hebrew when the poor little thing only knew English. It was upsetting him so much that the entire family was upset.
First it was only English then for a short time he enrolled in a Hungarian school but didn't know any Hungarian, then he went to hebrew school and as she had not been a practicing Jew, she never taught him any Hebrew. poor kid was down on himself so much that she had to leave Hungary for good even with family ties here.It's been a good 9 or so years since she moved away because of her sons and their schooling.
I do miss her, she was from S. Cal as I am and also a ex hairdresser, she was fun to hang with.
Good luck.