The Great Thing(s) About Living in Costa Rica

I came to the realization that it appears that the majority of us seem to focus on the negatives about Costa Rica living and not spend as much time on the positives.  So I decided to create a post about the good qualities so that anyone considering a move to CR has a balanced perspective.   And yes, there are many great things about living in CR.  Otherwise there wouldn't be as many expats here as there are.  Wikipedia estimates the expat population in CR to be about 70,000, so there must be a lot of great things as well.

First example:  As I write this I am sitting at my desk with a view of the Gulf of Nicoya, the Pacific Ocean in the distance and tree covered mountains in the foreground.  There are no visible houses seen from my property.  All the doors and windows in the house are open as they are 99% of the time - year round.  It's 30c (86F) degrees, will drop to about 19c (65F) degrees tonight.  These are pretty much the year round temperatures for the area that I live in.  This morning there was a troop of Capuchin monkeys in the trees that surround my house, 10m from the windows.  They visit often to steal my bananas.  (I have several hundred banana trees).  My daughter has free-flying Macaws surrounding the house daily.  She has about 30 rescued parrots on the property.

You are allowed to build your own home here which I did.  (Following the plans and in accordance with building codes of course.)  I bought several acres of land and built a 600 m2 (2,000 sq. ft.) two story house, 60% windows, for less than $100,000.00, total.  (That's the cost it will be if I ever finish it. It's 90% complete.  🤓)  The annual property taxes are about $250 per year.  Where in North America or any other safe country could you have all of this for that cost?

Next, Costa Ricans:  The majority of Ticos are extremely happy people and more than willing to lend a hand when needed.  They are simple in their lives and appreciate family first.  Even the wealthy Ticos that I've befriended do not have that need to show it.  They remain very down to earth compared to many North Americans.  They don't have the bravado that many Gringos bring with them when the move here.  If you are someone of an opulent nature, and feel the need to show it, you may find Ticos more standoffish.  You will also set yourself up for criminal types.

You really have to live here for a while to experience the life to find what you might see as good or bad.  It's a different experience for everyone.   It is such a different life than what we are accustom to in North American/Europe.  It has to be experienced to truly understand.

So, for the other CR expats, what do you find to be the finer qualities of Costa Rica living?  What keeps you here?

- Expat Dave

Are you an American (USA) citizen?   Do you receive social security in USA.  Do you get Medicaid/Medicare in Costa Rica?

Sounds like a nice place for piece and quiet life!

Have a great day!!

Hola Macae!

Yes, I am a U.S. citizen, yes on S.S. and no you cannot use Medicare outside of the U.S.  My plan is to use CAJA insurance for minor issues, private hospitals here for medical emergencies and when possible, fly to the States for medical care and use Medicare.

It's just very important to spend at least a year here to make sure that it's for you.  And rent before you buy.  🌴☀️

- Expat Dave

Good thread, Dave! I call it the "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" phenomenon. That is, the squeaky wheel is a pain in the ass so you have to give it some attention. That's why we gringos do complain about the things we DON'T like about Ticos and Costa Rica, I think. It's natural for gringos to complain, as well, I think; it's our culture. Not necessarily a good aspect of our culture but nevertheless it's a true stereotype I think.

Along that same line, one must remember that as an expat from the USA I have many MORE complaints about the USA and Americans than I do about Costa Rica and Ticos!

I live on Social Security and I could not live anywhere in the USA on what I get. But here I get by good enough because I don't have to pay rent.

And part of that is what you were saying about the property and construction being cheaper here. I paid a guy to build our little house and no way I could have afforded a property like this in the states, nor have a house built for this price! In the USA I'd have to keep working so I could maybe retire in a lousy  apartment in a lousy neighborhood at 70!

Now:
Your property sounds a lot like mine. NO visible houses, we have about 9 acres here though we're selling some of it off as lots so as to not be poor! LOL. Forest on one side, coffee farm on the other, below us a lot of open land and then those GORGEOUS views of the sunsets over the Gulf of Nicoya beyond the hills also in our view!

My friend in the USA was feeling down yesterday about her life. in between responding to her email I walked outside and heard a toucan then looked at the tree about 30 yards away and saw 2 of them, one very large, the other smaller. I always smile when I see them here! Like seeing the monkeys, which we also see around here occasionally, I never get tired of it and it always puts a smile on my face and makes me glad I live here with nature all around me! I came back inside and told her about the toucans and how, if she saw them and heard them outside, they would certainly cheer her up! They do me!

We bought this place particularly because of the natural environment, as well as the cooler weather because it's at 2850 feet altitude. No A.C. required. It does get cool at night which makes sleeping easy, with a blanket, sometimes more than one.

I love seeing the amazing visitors here. One day a walking stick 10" long on the porch, another day a walking LEAF which I'd never seen before. (I almost swept it off the porch!) We see a lot of toucans, and parrots as well. TONS of parrots! It's always some weird animal or insect around here that makes me smile in amazement.

So for me, the Nature is the main attraction of Costa Rica.

We have thousands of trees on our property and I enjoy seeing them, and watching the young ones grow. Some of my friends don't "get" this at all, but for me trees are beautiful and I love to see them change with the seasons and grow taller and taller each year. We planted some only 1 year ago and they were twigs about 15" tall, and now some of those are nearly 5 feet tall! In a little over ONE year!

Another big plus is my best friend who lives up the road a ways. He loves the same English and American classic rock music I do even though he's a Tico and we have so much in common. I call him my brother from a different mother. He's helped me out so often with things I didn't know how to handle, and introduced me to his dad's mechanic, helped me find good workers and so on, and I've never met anyone I love more. I consider him a true friend, better than most of my gringo friends, here or in the US. He'd help me out of any jam if he had the ability, and I would do the same for him.

I like the freedom here in Costa Rica too. A lot of times they have rules but no one follows them. It's a double edged sword but I'd rather have more freedom than less! if you wanna have a beer on a hot day on the dirt road back to your property, you don't have to worry about being put in jail and paying thousands of dollars in fines for drinking ONE dang beer in the car!  I don't recommend driving and drinking and almost never do it, but if I want to I can. Or if I want to stop on the side of the road and pee I don't have to worry about illegally parking nor illegally peeing! LOL.

The police are nice here. I always wave to them and they "know" me. They know where I live and I feel they are here to truly help not to hurt. In the USA I hated the cops because they seemed to only want to extract money from my wallet for busting me for some minor crime like not coming to a COMPLETE stop at a stop sign. That kind of stuff is abusive.

People at the stores in San Ramon know me. Even though it's not a real small town, and maybe I don't go in the hardware store for a month or two, but when I do they shake my hand and smile and ask me how it's going and act glad to see me. I do the same and I love that! In  the US I went to  the same supermarket every week, and often had the same checker and she wouldn't even acknowledge she'd ever seen me before! Weird..

My Tico attorney's husband was asking me about life in the USA and I told him that and he couldn't believe it! He said, "WHY?!" I had trouble explaining it. LOL.

Mostly what I like - and this depends on what area you live in for sure! - is that I can be outside most of the time and I do things outdoors like plant and water and fertilize and supervise my helper and just generally improve the property. So as a result I have lost over 30 lb in one year and am back to the weight I had 16 years ago before I got kinda fat from just sitting all the time. Now, if it's rainy and I have to sit inside I get antsy. I want to get outside and DO something! So much better than living on a tiny property in the USA and sitting all the time.

I could go on but generally speaking this is a healthier, happier place to live!

I'm  willing to write about what I do not like about Ticos and Costa Rica as well, I'm not one of those guys who sees everything here through rose colored glasses like some people on some forums do. Costa Rica has its downsides as well.

But I wouldn't have moved here if I hadn't lived here for months before moving, and decided I liked it better than the USA. I am not looking to move back to the USA ever!

NOTED:   "But I wouldn't have moved here if I hadn't lived here for months before moving, and decided I liked it better than the USA. I am not looking to move back to the USA ever!"

Sounds wonderful.

One simple question, "Have all of the crooked politicians been put in jail or buried?"  If so, it sounds like HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!

Thanks for the detailed write-up.  I will ask my dear friend James Woodward to give us a report when he gets some free time.

Have a GREAT day!!!

Macae wrote:

NOTED:   "But I wouldn't have moved here if I hadn't lived here for months before moving, and decided I liked it better than the USA. I am not looking to move back to the USA ever!"

Sounds wonderful.

One simple question, "Have all of the crooked politicians been put in jail or buried?"  If so, it sounds like HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!

One can ask that question about any place in the world, and the answer will I think be NO. LOL. Especially not in the USA.