One Month in Indonesia

I'm planning to visit Indonesia for the month of September. I live in Thailand and my GF is about to begin an 8-month internship at a hotel in Singapore. After that month, I will take a ferry to Singapore and join her(more or less) for 3 months. I will probably stay at an AIRBNB or Home Away apartment in Jakarta and try to see as much as I can during that month. What I appreciate knowing is: what to see, the best way to get around, both in Jakarta and the rest of the country, what I can expect to spend(I don't plan to pay a tourist agency or guide, but to read as much as I can about the country  during June-August and bring descriptions, schedules, etc. with me). I can do moderate hiking and don't need to hit many beaches, since I live on the Gulf of Thailand. But I do like cultural monuments, festivals and events and places unique to Indonesia.
Any suggestions?

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Go to yogyakarta for sure and see their great buddhist temple.  It's called Borobudur and while in Yogya visit Marlboro street.

You would do better to use hotels or hotels then rent a place you wont be in for a month. Traveling through Java is great if by train. Buses are OK but trains make life easier.
To get a ferry to Singapore you need to get to Batam which can be done from Jakarta by a bus to Merak, then a Ferry to Sumatra and then various buses and another ferry but it is not a short trip. It would be worth working out distances to appreciate this. Traffic and roads are not as organised. Flying is OK but becomes expensive. Jakarta whilst ideal for exploring Jakarta isnt great for anywhere else as the distance and journey times make things more complicated.

Great advice! Forget the ferry. I just booked a flight on Air Asia from Jakarta to Singapore for $15(U.S.)!