Emigrating to Madagascar from USA

hello all!

I am considering emigrating to Madagascar from USA in a year & would appreciate any assistance (things to expect, what to avoid) during this process.

Thanks!

Visa long stay
start with this
http://www.mid.gov.mg/visa-description/ … ng-sejour/

To add some details to TropicAlex's response:

If you show up with no forethought, you can get a tourist visa that's only valid for 30 days. Then you have to leave as you cannot renew it here. But it may be enough for you to scout around to see if Madagascar is a good fit for you.

If you intend to stay longer, you should contact the Malagasy embassy before your departure to get an extendable visa. That way you can start the arduous journey towards residency.

As I recall, the first resident visa here is good for a year, then renew for two years, then for five years, then for ten years, then definitive.

As they say, Bon Courage!

Hi WTroy,

A new topic has been created as from your post on the Madagascar forum.

Good luck,
Christine
Expat.com

Understand that as a black person in the U.S. is like walking with a target on your back. Police are hunting unarmed black folks with impunity and the country has never been and will never be a safe place for blacks to live. I lived there for 60 years and will never return. There are a gazillion other countries on the planet that treat blacks FAR better than the U.S. ever will. Be safe, travel well.

@ GeneQueen: I lived in the US for 40 years and although undoubtedly there are some countries where black Americans are discriminated against less than in the the U.S., the rest of your comment is absolute BS. The idea that black people in the US are being persecuted by police or anyone else is a lie, and a racist lie at that.

I'm speaking generally as obviously there are exceptions to every rule but I've lived in mostly black, mostly white and mixed communities in multiple states in the U.S. and the occasional, mild passive-aggressive prejudice which some non-black people partake in nowadays is far less than the extreme, overt racism demonstrated by many of the self-proclaimed 'victims'.

Is there still a small percentage clearly racist white people? Yes. Is there a large percentage of overly racist black Americans? Yes. Do people of all races occasionally get shot by the sometimes overly aggressive police in the U.S.? Yes. Do law-abiding black Americans live in fear of the police? No. Do law-abiding citizens of all colors resent the many racist, poorly-behaved black Americans? Yes. This is not 1920. Supposed 'racism' by non-blacks in America has far more to do with the behavior of many black Americans than with the color of their skin.

Ethnic/racial discrimination in various forms has existed since the beginning of time and will continue to exist. It's human nature, from all sides. It's a shame but that's life. Unfortunate as that may be, racist, would-be 'victims' such as yourself are a large part of the reason discrimination continues to exist in the U.S. these days. Take your reverse-racist glasses off and stop perpetuating the cycle of black American victimhood. Your genes are no more queenly than anyone else's, 'GeneQueen'. Get over self-created 'persecution' and move on with life like the rest of us.